Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2009 4:21:01 AM EDT
Looking to finally just man up and drop the coin on a top notch optic for my 3 gun rifle.  I've narrowed it down to the 1-6x Swarovski Z6i or the 1.1-4x S&B Short Dot.

As far as I can tell, they're both top shelf scopes.  How do I choose one?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:03:14 AM EDT
[#1]
What ranges do you ACTUALLY shoot? (not some fantasy range you would like to be able to shoot) Do you actually range targets right now? (not some fantasy scenario/post apocolyptic scenario) does a blue tint to the glass of some of the older Short Dots bug you?  FFP or SFP Short Dot you are considering?  Willing to use a Brother label maker to put a dialable custom BDC markings on the elevation turret of the Swaro? (takes some dedicted range time bench shooting and taking notes at each range you want) What ammo will you use?  Will you try to find the older locking style SD turrets or the newer ones with swapable ballistic markings on the elevation dials?

Answer those and I bet the decision is already made for you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:07:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What ranges do you ACTUALLY shoot? (not some fantasy range you would like to be able to shoot) Do you actually range targets right now? (not some fantasy scenario/post apocolyptic scenario) does a blue tint to the glass of some of the older Short Dots bug you?  FFP or SFP Short Dot you are considering?  Willing to use a Brother label maker to put a dialable custom BDC markings on the elevation turret of the Swaro? (takes some dedicted range time bench shooting and taking notes at each range you want) What ammo will you use?  Will you try to find the older locking style SD turrets or the newer ones with swapable ballistic markings on the elevation dials?

Answer those and I bet the decision is already made for you.

Targets anywhere from 10-300 yards.  Although there are a few matches I might attend that may go out to 500.  As far as blue tint on older short dots, it's a non-issue since whichever scope I get, I'll be buying new.  I load my own ammo, current match load is using 69gr Sierra Matchkings.  I can't imagine dialing in settings during a 3 gun match.  I do a 50/200 zero and know my holds at various ranges.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#3]
You might try Enos's forum. Alot of good 3 gun info there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd try the Swarovski cuz I like the additional magnification. I'd get the circle dot reticle.

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd try the Swarovski cuz I like the additional magnification. I'd get the circle dot reticle.

http://www.triebel.de/bilder/SWAROVSKI_ABS_Circle-Dot.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/img009.jpg

Do you have a picture with the illumination turned on in daylight conditions?  Daylight visible illumination is a must for me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I sure dont, I cant see pics because Im at work and they block photobucket type sites. Check out this review

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm very happy with my short dot LE,  never used a Z6 though.  You won't be disappointed with the short dot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#9]
If you get the short dot buy the Zenith LE model, it's also know as the short dot 2. It's a second focal plane so the crosshair is usable at low power and no blue tint.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top