Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2009 9:12:10 PM EDT
what do you guys think? ta44 on flat top or carry handle.Help me out I"m kinda stuck.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO, best place for a compact ACOG is on the carry handle.

<–––––––– Look at pic on left and pic in user info.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How is the point of aim at really close shots... say inside 10 meters?
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Because it’s on the carry handle I would aim just like you would with iron sights at that distance.  Aim high, just over where you want your point of impact to be.

While I do like compact AGOG’s on the carry handle, my preferred CQB optic is the Aimpoint.  I think the compact’s make a good “perimeter +” optic.

-Ray

ETA: Sorry I was just paying attention to the “close shots” part.  At 10 meters + I would just place the triangle on target and then adjust if the target was closer.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
dude acogs suck, get a bsa or something...
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
dude acogs suck, get a bsa or something...

Playa's use Ncstar.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How come?  You are the first one (here) I hear to say that - most people on this board hates the "chin weld", but some people (including myself) aren't bothered by it.

Also, please post pics
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

+1

I like my TA44 on my M16A2gery
Compact ACOGs are the only optics I'd mount on the CH...they sit as low as possible

ETA for pic
Collin Farrel used the same setup on his M4 in SWAT, so...

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
RH33, looking at your user photo, I am curious what model compact you are using.  Using Trijicon's eye relief figures for a TA47, you should have your nose firmly planted in the handle. yet you are at a comfortable distance. My old bod doesn't work well NTCH. I am considering a TA47 or TA33 for my old carbine with an A1 stock.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
RH33, looking at your user photo, I am curious what model compact you are using.  Using Trijicon's eye relief figures for a TA47, you should have your nose firmly planted in the handle. yet you are at a comfortable distance. My old bod doesn't work well NTCH. I am considering a TA47 or TA33 for my old carbine with an A1 stock.

It was a TA47-2.  Very nice eye relief.  Only compacts that really suck as far as eye relief are the TA50 models.

-Ray

ETA: It’s been my experience (and many others) that you usually get a little more eye relief than what is actually listed by Trijicon.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How come?  You are the first one (here) I hear to say that - most people on this board hates the "chin weld", but some people (including myself) aren't bothered by it.

Also, please post pics

It’s really not high at all.  Just over the top of the iron sights.  You can see in the pic from my user info that my cheek is still very much on the stock.  Very comfortable heads up shooting especially with a lot of gear on.

Not that many people use the compacts and even fewer use them on the carry handles because of flattops.  IMHO, compacts are kinda in a middle zone between a CQB and a medium range optic.  I like them for perimeter work in SWAT, but NOT for entry work.  

In the area I was doing PSD work in Iraq most of my threats were in that “middle zone” so the compact ACOG fit nicely and I really like them on the carry handle.  While I was making gun boat runs on the Tigris I used a TA01 on the carry handle because our possible engagement distance increased.  Still had a nice cheek weld on the stock and again, it was very comfortable heads up shooting especially with a lot of gear on.

-Ray

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you very much, Ray!  Looking at the picture of you shooting the ACOG on the carry handle, you're absolutely right - it is not that high at all!  Man, now I got to get one .
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top