Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2009 5:15:35 AM EDT
I am new to AR.
Got my SS upper with fixed F-marked front sight from BCM three weeks ago  (I will not forget to breakin barrel).
Will pick up my Spike's Tactical lower today.
I do not plan to scope or put an aimpoint type sight on the rifle anytime soon.
Only plan to shoot between 50-200 yards.
If I were to get a folding rear sight, I will get the Troy folding.

I am also thinking of fixed rear sights because it is cheaper and simpler - Troy or Daniel Defense?
http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=146
http://troyind.com/FixedRear.html

What do you think?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:22:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the DD and I like it alot. I will say this though, just because you say you will never put and optic or red dot on there doesnt mean you will stay that way. I thought the same thing hence the DD BUIS. 2 weeks later I came across a steal on an EOTech and bought it and guess what, yep I didnt like the fixed BUIS behind the EOTech. Some actual do like it, but it was not for me. I ended up buying a Troy flip up, and I love it on that set up. Luckily I just ordered a BCM middy so I put the DD on there. DD makes a great sight, its rock solid, simple, easy to use, and install. If that is what you want I think it will make you a great sight.

Cheapest I found:   AIM DD fixed BUIS
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:24:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't used the Troy fixed but i do have their fold down both rear and front.  I have had no problems with their sights and have been pleased with their performance, however Troy does manufactuer their sight apertures backwards.  I have tried to get feedback from them as a company on this and they have ignored me.  I would be interested to know why they do this.

I have used DD fixed rear and it was a good sight.  I like that both company's chose to use the A1 style windage adjustment.  By the way, DD manufacturers their sight apertures the right way.  All in all I would go with DD.  They are cheaper, I liked it when I used it and they manufacture it correctly.  DD makes quality goods.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Id look at the daniel defense sight and maybe a larue buis.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#4]
How does Troy's rear aperture compare to the normal concave aperture?
I also saw a diamond rear aperture, anybody tried the diamond?
Also looking at Larue fixed sight.
This mostly is a range rifle for me.  So, one sight system, scope, red dot, or iron, will probably okay for a long while but
I am allowing space for the possibility of a red dot o witness which is why I am not looking at the carry handle style rear sights.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Troys rear aperture for the 0 to 300 is flat, not concave.  There 300 to 600 is concave but it is backwards.  It is concave on the backside not on the eye side of the sight.  This is contrary to how the sight was origionally designed.  The concave portion was designed to minimize glare coming from the sun at your back.

That being said, I have several and I haven't had an issue but there still remains the fact that they are manufacturing them incorrectly and they dont care.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#6]
LMT or Larue.

Both are better made and stronger for a fixed rear site.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an LMT that came on my MRP.  Its a great tank of a sight but I prefer a flip down.  Your right though, it is very well constructed
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my new DD fixed sight, very light and seems strong.  Plus you can't go wrong with the price.  The only reason I don't like the ones with the quick detach (like Larue or LMT) is that I don't want the quick disconnect and the DD has a great profile on the rifle.  It just seems like it belongs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Larue is the only way to go for a fixed rear sight
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#10]
LMT or get a carry handle and chop it later.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If you listen to Ken Hackethorn, there is a reason Troy did the concave side the way they did, and everyone else's is wrong.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LMT or Larue.

Both are better made and stronger for a fixed rear site.

+1

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top