Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 7:47:38 PM EDT
Ok folks, i've looked around, searched, and did whatever due diligence is expected around here.......but i'm still totally overwhealmed and would appreciate some suggestions on what direction to go, or specific solutions.

Here is what I have:

Stag 20" AR A2 with a Knights Armaments Co full length rail.  It is not a specific Stag rifle.  I built it over the course of a few months as deals came up.  With the rail, I have less than $600 in this gun.  Don't ask, right place, right time, cash talks BS walks.    I am very happy with it, and I always preferred shooting irons over glass with all my guns.

Here is what got me thinking:  

I asked another AR shooter at the range last weekend if I could take a peek through what I think was a EOtech with the magnifier in front of it.  BIG MISTAKE   Massive BRD kicked in.   Okay, clear picture with the cool floating hologram reticle with drop compensating points.  "Oh man! I gotta get me one of these!"  I knew they were expensive, prohibitively expensive, but I asked anyways.  "well its about $500 for this piece and about $700 for this piece"x10  Look, I don't mind paying GOOD money for GOOD SHIT, but I want to make sure it is the best that I can get first, and even then i'm still , I can get a Colt for that coin, but whatever, I want the pretty glass.

What can I get guys?   I'm thinking that because I have an A2 upper, i'm kind of prevented from using the 1X holosights and red dots.   Same thing for scopes.  

Can I mount one of these to the back of the handguard rail right in front of the delta ring?  Will the eye relief be correct?  The smaller EOtechs look attractive for getting an illuminated reticle in my field of view.

Also, I am thinking that since this is a "rifle" rather than a CQB "carbine" that I should probably take advantage of the 4" extra inches of barrel and get a magnified scope that can go down to 1X if needed.  I think that is what the Millet DMS-1 is?  Again, am I limited by the upper?  Does the eye-relief not allow handguard rail mounting?  Trying to get something that allows me to shoot closer ranges with both eyes open.  Can't seem to do that with the irons.  If I can't get magnification, at least I can get low light shooting capability and the ability to shoot with both eyes open.

Again, I don't mind paying good money for good stuff, but I don't want to dump $1300 bux into this unless it is a really sweet setup.  Cheaper would be better unless it is "cheap" junk.  
Otherwise, I'd rather just keep this rifle a KISS type rifle with irons,  and start over with a flat-top colt and then get the optics that all the cool guys have.

The help is appreciated!  I know that I try to help with newbs in the other forums where I might have some expertise.  

Share your experience, suggestions, and preferably some pics of your A2 setups.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Replace the A2 upper receiver with a flat top and don't look back.  Optics wise, you will then be able to go any direction you want to; removable carry handle, BUIS-only, red-dot, 1-4 glass, acog, long-range, etc

Some inspiration:  M16A4 (clone) Picture Thread  

ETA:  Personally, I'd go with a used Aimpoint M2 w/ LaRue mount from the EE, but your mission/requirements may be different.

Start here:  Fighting Carbine Optics - A Short Guide to Picking The Right Optic

And here's the "all you ever wanted to know about the DMS-1 thread, FYI.  For $400 (DMS-1 @ $200 & LaRue mount @ $200), it seems like a fun/flexible choice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I am going to be straight up with you.  Don't do it.  

point 1..  I own a A2 with a EOtech mounted forward with an ARMS #39+ rail.  I can not use the BUIS.  The EOTech body blocks the BUIS channel in the carry handle.  there are other rails that allow the eotech to be mounted lower, but I doubt it will allow a magnified opic view of the EOtech.

Point 2...  a 20" full boat is not a CQB weapon.  You are drawing on the weak side of the rifle, the oposite of this is mounting a $2200 10X50 scope on an M4.  sure it works, but it's sorta stupid.  Your 20 shines as a AT&T 600+yard calling card, why waste that on a bubba-rigged magnified optic that was made for 250ish yard ranges???

Solution 1....Sell the A2 upper and use that $$ to help fund a 18" middy flat top.  You can now buy a good carry handle or BUIS (like a MBUS from Magpul) and then do the EOtech thing...or whatever since you have a whole shitload of options open to you now that you are not limited by the fixed A2 carry handle.  I would go middy, since it uses a longer gas system then a carbine and you have a shorter CQB firearm, which is still good for some longer range stuff.  It will work great with your A2 style buttstock.

Solution 2... Buy a armorers barrel wrench.  Take off the A2 upper, remove the barrel, sell the upper and use the $$ to fund a Flat top upper.  make sure you buy a flat top upper WITHOUT M4 feed ramps.  I can almost say that you dont have them.  I would be very surprised if you do...extremely in fact.  You can now do whatever you want. Just like above, but you still have a 20" barrel.

If you are really into Red dots or holosights...I cant see using a A2.  I have done it, others do it..its work, but we suffer for it.    I hate to say this, but its more of a "look" then a practical weapon.  I like the A2 carbine "look" so I suffer with ARMS 39rails and Reflex sights mounted on goosenecks.

It's your call.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Replace the A2 upper receiver with a flat top and don't look back.  Optics wise, you will then be able to go any direction you want to; removable carry handle, BUIS-only, red-dot, 1-4 glass, acog, long-range, etc

Some inspiration:  M16A4 (clone) Picture Thread  

ETA:  Personally, I'd go with a used Aimpoint M2 w/ LaRue mount from the EE, but your mission/requirements may be different.

Start here:  Fighting Carbine Optics - A Short Guide to Picking The Right Optic

And here's the "all you ever wanted to know about the DMS-1 thread, FYI.  For $400 (DMS-1 @ $200 & LaRue mount @ $200), it seems like a fun/flexible choice.

Wow, I guess I built an A4 clone by accident  I even have an FN barrel to go with the KAC rail.  Didn't think there was a name for this config, I just kinda did it as parts came up.  I tell ya, shit just fell into place on this gun!  I'll throw pics up tomorrow.

I'm going over the links.  Really, this is exactly what I am looking for.  I don't suppose that swapping a flat-top stripped upper in is that big of a deal, but I like my irons.

Also, do appreciate the "don't do it" warnings.  I don't want to half-ass it even with a $200 optic.  I'm sure the gun store can find something that could "work" if I threw the gun at them to work on, but I'm here to learn, so it is greatly appreciated.

Keep the suggestions or warnings incoming folks!   I'm very interested to hear any thoughts on this.

Gotta go pick out a foregrip now!

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 4 black rifles, of which one used to be an A2, until I converted it to a rail. The sooner you do that, you open the optic world up for your rifle.
I did have very good success with my Bushmaster A2 with a Bennie Coolie mount and a EOTech 551 forward of the handle. Now that the handle is gone, it is so much more capable of utilizing whichever optic that I may want to use.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top