Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2009 12:40:15 AM EDT
I will finally have the funds for an eotech AA battery model.  I know the 512's have been around for a long time and it appears like almost all the issues are resolved with their latest version.  For about $20 more, the 517 offers side buttons which would be nice with my BUIS.  I have not followed eotech history enough to know how long the 517 has been out, what problems the 517 has had, and/or if it is on the same revision as the 512.  I'm leaning towards getting the 517 unless it still has unresolved quality issues.  So, is the 512 and 517 the same except button placement (same revisions, fixed problems, etc) or is the 517 behind the 512 for quality?

For the Aimpoint crowd: Please don't tell me to get an Aimpoint.  I've compared the EOtechs and Aimpoints and would be happy with either, but I've decided on EOtech for various reasons than I don't want to get into unless I have to.  I truly believe both are great optics and people should stop bashing the other just because you own one brand versus the other or because one is currently more popular than the other.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 3:01:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I recently purchased a pair of 517's for my STG's for exactly the reasons you stated, replacing the 512's I had been running. I haven't owned them long enough to rate long-term durability but I'm hoping to put them through a 1-day carbine class before too long. I haven't heard anything negative about the 517 specifically. There's another advantage to the 517 and that's a stronger and improved crossbolt/mount design.
HTH...
Tomac

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got a 517 this weekend. A little background first:

I started my use of optics with a EOTech 512. I liked the reticle and all, but there were a couple things I didn't like about it. One, it sat low,giving an absolute co-witness (I greatly prefer lower 1/3 cowitness) which also made it impossible for me to replace the batteries without removing the EOTech from the rifle. Battery box didn't clear handguards. Also, with the rear mounted controls, the rear BUIS would get in the way of access to them.  I replaced it with an Aimpoint, but, and this is NOT a knock on Aimpoint, as it's a great sight, it just didn't work well for my eyes. Then I saw the 517. So far, it appears that this model fixes all the things I didn't like about the 512.

So far, I love the 517.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 3:40:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I went ahead and ordered and a 517.  I'm excited to get it to see the differences in person.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 4:35:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I went ahead and ordered and a 517.  I'm excited to get it to see the differences in person.
Thanks!

We expect a range report soonest, keep us posted!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I was rocking a 553, got tired of the battery cost, then switched to the 512 with a yhm riser.  I switched out to the 517 for the buttons and I could sell my 512/riser and the 517 cost me $40 more, so why not?  I sold the 512 to my brother for a great price for him, AND got the 517 at COST for those sniping people that want to question costs etc.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top