Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 9:09:08 PM EDT
Is it better to keep a RDS co witnessed with irons when shooting?

What are your opinions?

I am deciding whether to get a BUIS for my front sight or a fixed sight. If it is more beneficial to have a co witness I may as well go for a fixed sight option but I feel it clutters up the sight picture too much. Running EoTech 553, MBUS rear sight, and front sight (deciding) (LMT fixed front sight or foward MBUS) Thanks for the help guys
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:50:32 AM EDT
[#1]
My own preference is for fixed sights. If you're concerned about a fixed front sight (or rear) obscuring your red dot's sight picture you can set up with a lower 1/3 cowitness. But even with a prefect cowitness, if your red dot's zeroed can't you just raise your head and the dot will move above the fixed sights but remain on target?
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:07:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My own preference is for fixed sights. If you're concerned about a fixed front sight (or rear) obscuring your red dot's sight picture you can set up with a lower 1/3 cowitness. But even with a prefect cowitness, if your red dot's zeroed can't you just raise your head and the dot will move above the fixed sights but remain on target?

Exactly my thoughts. I prefer fixed (non-folding) BUIS. A lower 1/3 will get them more out of your sight picture, but even if you absolute co-witness, just open both eyes and ignore the irons.

I ran a carbine course with a standard fixed front sight base, an LMT rear fixed BUIS and an EOTech 512 absolute co-witnessed. I don't ever remember seeing the irons the whole course––just the red dot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top