Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 10:31:09 AM EDT
I was out with a buddy last week at his private range doing some shooting and realized how horrible I am with iron sights. All my AR's have either Aimpoints or Eotechs. Whenever I acquire a new rifle I sight in the irons, slap an optic on and that's how it stays.

I recently acquired a S&W 5.45x39 and have decided to keep the thing as KISS as possible but this rifle makes me realize I am really lacking in the iron sight skills category. I just can't pick up the front sight post very quickly. I was thinking about getting some Trijicon sights but thought maybe I would paint the front sight post and see if that helps.

Has anyone done this? If so what color did you go with and why? If anyone could hook me up with a link to a good paint pen or paint to use that would be great. I was thinking a nice bright/neon green would be easy to pick up on.

Side note: The S&W 5.45 is my new favorite toy. I blew so so much ammo last week and didn't even come close to the hurt I feel when I shoot 5.56. I was having a couple issues with the CProducts mags but I am working on remedying that problem hopefully soon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was out with a buddy last week at his private range doing some shooting and realized how horrible I am with iron sights. All my AR's have either Aimpoints or Eotechs. Whenever I acquire a new rifle I sight in the irons, slap an optic on and that's how it stays.

I recently acquired a S&W 5.45x39 and have decided to keep the thing as KISS as possible but this rifle makes me realize I am really lacking in the iron sight skills category. I just can't pick up the front sight post very quickly. I was thinking about getting some Trijicon sights but thought maybe I would paint the front sight post and see if that helps.

Has anyone done this? If so what color did you go with and why? If anyone could hook me up with a link to a good paint pen or paint to use that would be great. I was thinking a nice bright/neon green would be easy to pick up on.

Side note: The S&W 5.45 is my new favorite toy. I blew so so much ammo last week and didn't even come close to the hurt I feel when I shoot 5.56. I was having a couple issues with the CProducts mags but I am working on remedying that problem hopefully soon.

I can share my recent experience with this. Until I have enough money (and they are available) to buy the Trijicon I want, I am shooting irons. Specifically, Magpul MBUS. Like you I wanted to paint my front sight post to acquire it quickly. A few searches in google and I stumbled onto a company called Bright Sights. Found out they sell their products at my local gun shop. So I picked up some hi vis green and got to it. My findings are:

1. This paint is extremely thick and very difficult to work with. Unlike testors paint, it does not spread easily. Thinning it with paint thinner only distorts the color (makes it dull) and it still forms glops.

2. If your front sight has any sort of parkerized finish, then the paint will not stick. You will drive yourself mad trying to spread it (with a toothpick or tiny brush)

3. I lightly sanded my post to see if that helped. It did stick better but only marginally.

4. When the paint is applied, it looks great. Nice and bright. When it dries however, it turns dull and dark. I am only slightly better off than with my original black post.

I think I am going to remove it and try a rustoleum type metallic spray paint. They make stuff for traffic marking which I think might work better.

Here is the LINK to the Bright Sights in case you are interested. IMO, their product sucks.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I painted the top 1/8" of my front post with some white acyllic paint from the hobby store. Same stuff you fill the roll marks with. It help up fine. I made sure it didnt run downthe post by not thinning the paint and using masking tape and a hair dryer to dru it quickly. Just peel off the tap and you got a nice level line. I didnt try to wrap the tape around the post but rather did one side at a time. Of course if you run CLP or cleaner over it it will want to come off. But it helped me get a better sight picture. No more than I shoot with BUIS I couldn't justify spending on the Trijicon post. If you want to be tight about it like me I say try it out and see if you like it before you spend the money on the Trijicon post.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Check your local WalMart hobby section. They should have flourescent paints that come in a pen type applicator. I have used the flouro green and orange on a couple of guns including the front site post on my AR, works great. Good and bright even after drying and application was easy. Also used them on a friends P3AT but needed to use a toothpick to get it where I wanted it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#4]

(This is just an idea, not a recommendation.  I have never seen them in person.)

You might consider a fiber optic post instead.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:08:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used flourescent orange model paint on mine, and it works pretty good. Then I went to this:

http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mvc?page=MSP/PROD/SIGHTLINK/FOS-070-MS1
Kinda spendy, but they work great! Both the wife and I love them. Helps alot since we have almost 50 year old eyes and it's getting harder to discern the post againts darker target backgrounds.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot an AR with a painted front sight and I hated it.  It's just one of those personal preference things.  

Try using a little bit of White Out the next time you go to the range.  If you decide you don't like it then it's easy to clean off.  If you do like it then spend the money on a more durable solution.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess I'm the only one that ever used White Out correction fluid on a front sight... was easily removable and showed me that painting the front sight does help (at least for me it does).

If your only going for a range gun... give the old White Out a try, it lasted about 6 months on my front post with no wear until I took that sight totally off.  It's still as white and bright as can be sitting in my parts bin a few years later.
For a duty / save-your-ass gun, get some more sturdy paint.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#9]
After I painted a rifle camo I ended up with a tan front site post

Put a little bright red nail polish on it and I couldn't be happier with it. It was about 3seconds worth of work about a year ago and it has held up great.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top