Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:24:26 AM EDT

Any one use the cheap 3x magnifiers on the market? Don't know why, but I am considering buying one to play with.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#1]
i've had my eye on them.  i've heard the difference between the fakes and the real thing is not noticeable with regard to the Aimpoint clone 3x magnifier.  in fact i've hear owners of both say to get the fake one b/c they're the same except the price tag

i know my fakepoint is made of shitty aluminum and i wouldn't recommend it for a duty rifle, but for the 3x magnifier i wouldn't think it would matter.   a scope snob might say the glass isn't quite as clear as the real deal, but i really doubt i'd notice.

also, for my fakepoint.  it came with a riser for lower 1/3 cowitness but the fucking screws those idiots from china sent with the fucking scope were too fucking long.  i had to dremel them about a 1/4 shorter for the scope not to wobble like crazy from side to side.  all hardware and the body of the scope is soft aluminum.  again, not so good for a duty rifle's primary optic, but probably just fine for a 3x magnifier.  YMMV
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Fine to play with if you get a decent one.  Eye relief is a bigger problem with those for me that glass quality.  You'll have to get right up on it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a 3X but mine is a 2.5X Hensoldt PO' BOY SPECIAL from LaRue Tactical.

The only two drawback things are they only comes with LaRue's excellent LT-649 pivot magnifier QD mount and the kind of short eye relief (but not too bad).

Lens quality is great IMHO plus if you ever get a high quality 3X magnifier later on you already have a great mount for it.

LaRue's Po' Boy Special - site link

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top