Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/29/2009 6:43:48 PM EDT
I need a flip-up BUIS for my kit that I'm waiting for. What I'd like is something the same as A2 sights. Meaning I'd like to be able to adjust for elevation and for windage. are there any flip-ups that can do this?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not aware of any flip-ups that are elevation adjustable.
I'd reccomend the Troy flip-up if you don't need elevation on the rear sight.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I got the YHM
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm not aware of any flip-ups that are elevation adjustable.
I'd reccomend the Troy flip-up if you don't need elevation on the rear sight.

+1 on Troy

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#4]
As for a flip-up with elevation adjustment, Rock River Arms sells this... never heard of it though. Not recommending, just saying that such an animal exists.

PADS Flip-up sight
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I got Matechs.  If they are good enough for government issue they are good enough for me.  kinda pricey unless you find one on Ebay.........I hate Ebay BTW.

EDIT!!!  its a flip up thats elevation adjustable too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Troy all day!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Elevation adjustable flip-ups are Matech, KAC 600M, and Wilson Combat.  All 3 are single-aperture sights; the Matech and KAC are small aperture, and the Wilson is partway between small and large.  The PADS sight linked above is the Matech.  

Here's my standard post on choosing a BUIS:

Are you going to mount a magnified optic?  If so, you need to consider whether the BUIS will fit under the scope and mount combo - some mounts (like the Armalite) are very low, and others (like the M1Sales) are quite high.  If it's for a red dot/Eotech style, there's a lot more flexibility.

A few things to consider when choosing rear flip-up BUIS, depending on if it's going to be a range gun or a SHTF gun:

- Will it be used for precision or long-range shooting?  A small aperture is helpful for this.  If the use is both close-up and long-range, a dual-aperture sight is useful.
- If it's multi-aperture, which one is deployed when it flips?  Some flip with the large aperture deployed, others with the small.  If you're not in a hurry, this won't matter, but some people care.
- If multi-aperture, do the apertures deploy in the same plane?  Some deploy with an elevation shift to account for the range differences, others use the same zero for both apertures.
- Do you want the windage knob easy to adjust or shielded to prevent accidental adjustments?  ARMS are exposed and easy, Troy is shielded.
- Does it have elevation adjustments?  Some do (like the Wilson Combat), most don't.
- How easy is it to deploy or adjust if your hands are muddy or gloved?
- Does it latch in the up position, the down position, or both?
- Is it spring loaded, like the Matech or ARMS, or not, like the YHM-9680?  Spring loaded will pop back into position if bumped, while non will stay partially deployed if bumped from the unlocked position.
- How protected is it from damage, both down and deployed?
- How robust is the detent mechanism?  The Matech will wear over time and become easier to deploy (and eventually won't lock).  For many, this doesn't matter, as their BUIS aren't used often.
- How many slots does it cover?  This is important if you need to conserve rail space.

Figure out which of these are important to you and what capabilities you want, and it will narrow down the choices quite a lot.

Here's how to figure out if it will fit under your scope and mount.

- Measure the scope's eyepiece diameter, with flip caps if you're going to use them.  Butler Creek usually adds about 0.1" to the diameter.  If the scope's going far enough back so the eyepiece isn't over the BUIS, measure the diameter where it is over the BUIS.
- Divide that by 2.
- Subtract that from the centerline height of your mount or rings.
This gives the maximum height BUIS that will fit under that scope/mount combo.

For example, my Leupold VX1 4-12x40 eyepiece diameter is 1.7" with flip caps - divided by 2 gives 0.85".  Mounting it in a 1" LaRue LT-104, which has a 1.41" centerline, would leave (1.41-0.85) = 0.56 as the tallest BUIS that would fit.  As you can see from the list below, that leaves out many.  This is one reason the Troy BUIS is so popular.

Here are some popular BUIS heights:

ARMS 40 - 0.95" folded (mine is 1.00" even)
YHM-9680 - 0.84" to the top of the windage knob, 0.74" to the top of the sight body
Matech - 0.75" folded at the elevation adjustment, off to the side, 0.6" closer to center
MI ERS - 0.75" folded
GG&G MAD - 0.625" folded
Magpul MBUS - 0.625" folded (not verified)
ARMS 40L - 0.61" folded (mine is 0.59")
Troy - 0.460" folded
MI MCTAR-SPLP - .438" folded
YHM QDS - 0.435" folded
KAC 300m - 0.315" folded
KAC 600m - ?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the answers guys, I'll probably be back with more questions when I get my rifle
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top