Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 5:28:11 AM EDT
I like the idea of the aimpoint+3x mag because I can flip the mag to the side and use the rear sight.

I like the acog better because it's cheaper than the aimpoint+mag combo, but I don't like that it blocks the rear flip sight.  

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
One's gotta flip up, the other needs proper eye relief.

You're gonna get one of the two to work at any given time... not both.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#2]
could you place the rear sight in front of the acog?  or would that be silly?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:35:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
could you place the rear sight in front of the acog?  or would that be silly?

i have seen people do it. looks a little different. if i understand what your asking though, you wont be able to co-witness your BUIS and ACOG, no matter where you place the BUIS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Magnified optics don't co-witness.  

You will have to remove the optic to shoot irons.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like the idea of the aimpoint+3x mag because I can flip the mag to the side and use the rear sight.

I like the acog better because it's cheaper than the aimpoint+mag combo, but I don't like that it blocks the rear flip sight.  

Thoughts?

Like the others have said, you cannot co-witness with a magnified optic.  You will need to remove it.  Don't worry, there is VERY little chance that the ACOG will fail and you will need the BUIS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#6]
One lifts off and the other flips to the side... what is the difference?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't worry, there is VERY little chance that the ACOG will fail and you will need the BUIS.
That's exactly why I decided to remove my BUIS to get proper eye relief on my ACOG. My AR is primarily a range gun, so iron sights are simply not required.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Marines in Iraq who are issued an ACOG remove the carry handle and stow it in their pack and use the ACOG in combat without a buis. I've learned to "let go" of my fear and run without one as well. I use the LaRue RCO ACOG mount and have mine set pretty far back because I'm not comfirtable with the tip of my nose on the charging handle. I like my nose about 2 finger widths from the charging handle.

With a red dot though, you are introducing a battery into the equation, even if you have a 50,000 hour lifespan with an aimpoint, I still insist on a functioning, dialed-in set of back up iron sights with aimpoints and eotechs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Magnified optics don't co-witness.  

You will have to remove the optic to shoot irons.

This.  I don't understand the debate... no matter what the ACOG has to come off to employ the BUIS.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top