Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2009 8:27:09 AM EDT
Hey guys..I just picked up a new A4 20" that came with the carrying handle w/ flip sight.  I love the sight, but feel I need something that allows me to shoot between 50-200 meters and actually be able to see the target at such a long range.  I would prefer a decent red dot sight, but because I can barely see the center of the target at 100 meters out I feel like I need just a little bit of magnification.  I have a budget of $300 and no more (budget started at $150).  If I didn't have a budget I would absolutely go w/ the ACOG, or a burris fast fire reflex red dot (if it had mag x) if that tells you anything about what I am going for (something good for 40 meters and also manageable out to 200)

I would really appreciate all the suggestions or recommendations you can provide so I have some options...Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Get this ACOG clone from red wolf airsoft

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=434834

my review...it's okay!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I dont think you will find any great magnified stuff in that price range, BUT as mentioned some of the knockoffs for casual use would  work

You may want to also check out 1337 tactical  - the 4x scope with no pic is an acop knockoff..
Brian
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the input and thats def an option, but is there anything out there that has pretty decent optics for the price im willing to pay? An eotech red dot with the side flip 3x mag behind it would be nice but that would be a about $300 over my budget...any other options out there for me?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Weaver Extreme Classic 1.5-4x w/Illuminated Reticle.  Very nice scope for the money.  I bought one as soon as I got this:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=we800702&lsrc=NZ&src=BE372
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you thought about the Burris Ar-332? Fixed 3x mag with CQB reticle and BDC out to 500 yards.  These are going for $299 shipped at various places.   It is not out yet, but is supposedly going to ship out in the next couple of weeks.  I was waiting for one and got impatient and decided to spend more $ on an Aimpoint instead.  The reviews from the SHOT Show on this new Burris got some people excited and it should be a decent optic for the $.  I would definitely buy that before an airsoft knock-off of ANY kind.  Burris is reputable and should have a lifetime warranty.  Good luck and let us know what  you decide to go with and post a review when you get it!  Link to Burris site:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/ar332.html
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Millett DMS-1

Monster Thread
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#7]
hey guys...that burris 3x looks pretty great, I do have a question though (still learnin) can I remove the front sight? or do I have to leave the front sight attached since it is part of the gas system? I have a RR m16a4...but I know there are tons of versions so here is a link to the upper that has a front sight system that resembles mine:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=261

If I get a new sight I was just going to remove the carry handle/rear sight and add the burris scope or reflex and I figured the front sight would be annoying at that point, would I need some sort of new attachment for where the gas tube exits the barrel if the front sight is removed?  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
hey guys...that burris 3x looks pretty great, I do have a question though (still learnin) can I remove the front sight? or do I have to leave the front sight attached since it is part of the gas system? I have a RR m16a4...but I know there are tons of versions so here is a link to the upper that has a front sight system that resembles mine:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=261

If I get a new sight I was just going to remove the carry handle/rear sight and add the burris scope or reflex and I figured the front sight would be annoying at that point, would I need some sort of new attachment for where the gas tube exits the barrel if the front sight is removed?  Thanks in advance!

I'm no pro either, but it's my understanding with the 3x magnification you won't even see the front sight.  However, down the road when you have the $, I believe you should get a flip-up rear sight so if the Burris ever fails you can dismount it and throw up your rear sight and still have your irons to work with.  So with all that in mind, I think you should keep the front sight because you may need it someday.  Another option would be flip-up rear AND front sights if the sight bothers you too much.  But like I said, it is my understanding that with the 3x mag, you won't even see the front sight.  Here is a link to a pic with a similar set-up with the Trijicon ACOG, fixed front sight and flip up rear sight.  The Burris has similar magnification to the ACOG so it should work with the same principles in mind.  Good luck!

http://www.rmgo.org/images/ar15acog.jpg

Oh one last thing, the Burris has rails on it to allow you to mount stuff to it down the road.....like a Burris Fastfire Reflex sight!  All in all it would be a cheaper version of the ACOG with Dr. Optic set-up.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top