Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 4:14:31 PM EDT
Okay experts, a quick question for you.

First, let me thank all the members here for helping me pick an optic. I am a Gang Officer for a major SoCal metro PD and decided on an ACOG TA33 R-8 on a Larue QD micro mount attached to my Colt 6920 patrol rifle. I appreciate  all the input you all had in my decision, I love the optic.

So, today my brother was taking a look at the rig and flipped the QD latch which caused the optic and mount to fall off the weapon and hit the deck, about 3 feet onto concrete. Optic bounced a bit, then settled. No apparent damage to the optic other than a very small ding and a small dent on the corner of the mount. Doesn't appear the reticle was effected and no blurs of lost focus looking through the optic.

I know these optics are built for combat and get banged up durring the course of duty, but figured it wouldn't hurt to run it by the expert collective here. What say you, any risk of damage or lost zero? Should I be concerned at all? Probably a dumb question but am looking for a more educated opinion than my own.

Thanks for the time.

Regards,

LABlackRifle
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#1]
should be fine, they can take a beating. i had an accupoint on a sr25 fall about 6 feet, gun and all landing on the scope to cermanic tile, nothing was wrong.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]
you mostlikly fixed it ,i could not get a steady zero util i droped mine at the range now priceless...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I like it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
read the manual, they have tested the design by putting it on a carry handle mount on a full Ar and drop it form 6 ft on to concrete......
It bent the carry handle, Acog no damage other than a scratch.  
They are tough, if you can hurt an Acog you will break something else.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Should be absolutely fine, now you need to take your brother down to the Coronado Bridge or Oceanside Pier and drop HIM off....  

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
read the manual, they have tested the design by putting it on a carry handle mount on a full Ar and drop it form 6 ft on to concrete......
It bent the carry handle, Acog no damage other than a scratch.  
They are tough, if you can hurt an Acog you will break something else.

Yea, those things are mil-spec.  Just think of what the Army puts them through every day... a drop from three feet is nothing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I've dropped my M4gery with a TA31 on top more than once onto pavement. It's not intentional, shit just happens sometimes though. It's held zero both with the TA51 mount it came with and with the LT mount it's got on it at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

First, let me thank all the members here for helping me pick an optic. I am a Gang Officer for a major SoCal metro PD and decided on an ACOG TA33 R-8 on a Larue QD micro mount attached to my Colt 6920 patrol rifle. I appreciate  all the input you all had in my decision, I love the optic.

So, today my brother was taking a look at the rig and flipped the QD latch which caused the optic and mount to fall off the weapon and hit the deck, about 3 feet onto concrete. Optic bounced a bit, then settled. No apparent damage to the optic other than a very small ding and a small dent on the corner of the mount. Doesn't appear the reticle was effected and no blurs of lost focus looking through the optic.

I know these optics are built for combat and get banged up durring the course of duty, but figured it wouldn't hurt to run it by the expert collective here. What say you, any risk of damage or lost zero? Should I be concerned at all? Probably a dumb question but am looking for a more educated opinion than my own.

Thanks for the time.

Regards,

LABlackRifle

You are going to have to try harder than that to hurt an ACOG, we drop them onto concrete (optic down) attached to a bar that simulates a loaded M240 from over 6 feet repeatedly to test zero retention
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#9]
It takes more than that to hurt it.

I wonder how one of the chinese clones would do?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not just take it to the range and test it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the time.

Regards,

LABlackRifle

You are going to have to try harder than that to hurt an ACOG, we drop them onto concrete (optic down) attached to a bar that simulates a loaded M240 from over 6 feet repeatedly to test zero retention [img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif[/img]

Not damage to the scope mind you, zero retention.

Love it. Really looking forward to getting an ACOG.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks alot for the info guys, that's what I figured but you all would know better than I.

Regards,

LABlackRifle
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#13]
To the member who said theirs didn't hold zero until it was dropped. When I called Trijicon on adjusting mine due to POI being off quite a bit higher then I expected I was told to tap on the side of it every couple of clicks to make sure the prism is moving. They want you to hit it.

coltsonly
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top