Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 1:36:49 PM EDT
This isn't about any issues regarding "why" one would have airsoft, or IP issues or anything like that. This is simply a review of an item that I got because I wanted it (and yes, I have the real deal too...but could really only afford one, a Eotech 553 in Tan...love it). Use it to guide yourself either /towards/ this particular unit, or /away/ from a unscrupulus dude at the gunshow or ebay who is selling this clone stuff as the real deal.

P.S. In absolutly no way should you think this review implies that the clones are even close to the real thing. They are not. If you drop them, get them more than damp, or tighten them too much - they will break, degrade, lose zero or fall apart. The worst thing on any airsoft is going to be the durability of the finish - usually it is zero.

This was purchased from a Chinese airsoft retailer for $54 plus $10 shipping.

Right Side: Shows "Larue" copy mount without trademarks. The latch system is okay, i'd say it's 70% to the real deal. Hold zero as far as I can tell with multiple dismounts, but i've never dropped it or abused it. The adjustment cover has a brown residue on it from adjusting the brass knob on the inside. It wipes off, but I didn't notice it during photography.

How to spot a fake?
No larue Trademark or aimpoint trademark on the side.
The real deal also has a marking for "intensity" on the battery compartment.

Real Deal:

Here is the fake from the top:

How to spot a fake?
Notice the adjustment covers are twice as tall as the real deal. Also the brightness knob has colored marking in red & green. Real deal has only white markings.

Here is the actuall "dot":

How to spot a fake?
If it turns red AND green, it's a fake.

Overall: For $54 bucks, it holds zero, and looks much better than a american made red dot of equal PRICE! So, i would replace a walmart scope or some other gunshow gizmo with this in a HEART beat. Yea, it's chinese "junk", but at least it works...not like the stuff you see at the gunshows going for almost $100 bucks. Lol.

Anyway, don't let goobers steal your $500 bucks on a fake :)
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm fairly sure it is not NV compatible
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]
This type of shit is why I refuse to buy anything off the EE unless it's being sold by a reputable industry partner.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I would never buy an optic from a private party unless it's face to face :)

lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Last week I posted a similar post about an ACOG replica and came to the same conclusion in that they work and they're cheap.  The truth is, this is a copyright infringement which is both against the law and just wrong.  Also by purchasing this unit, you (as I did ) are supporting the illegal acts of these manufacturers.  I realized after purchasing and posting, thanks to another member and someone who works for Trijicon, that it was wrong and I no longer will advise people to purchase them.  I hope you do the same.    At least you're showing people how its fake though..
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Last week I posted a similar post about an ACOG replica and came to the same conclusion in that they work and they're cheap.  The truth is, this is a copyright infringement which is both against the law and just wrong.  Also by purchasing this unit, you (as I did ) are supporting the illegal acts of these manufacturers.  I realized after purchasing and posting, thanks to another member and someone who works for Trijicon, that it was wrong and I no longer will advise people to purchase them.  I hope you do the same.    At least you're showing people how its fake though..

"Against the law" is way to strong. If you mean that Trijon could sue the manufactuer? Sure, they should. Knock themselves out. But I have no responsibility to stop buying the product unless they finally go after the fakes. Until they hash it out in court, it hasn't been decided.

I would say the real issue is this - did I /not/ buy a real ACOG because I got a fake? Hell no - one thing has nothing to do with the other. Someday when I have $1400 to throw away i'll get the real one and strut my stuff at the range, but secretly feel dumb for spending that much money for something that I really have no use for.

Half the people who half rifles like this (me included) have no real use for them other than toys.

Tell you what though, Trijon should make a model that is only 1 foot water resistant, can't withstand many falls, and has less clear optic - throw a $200 price tag on it and watch them fly out the window.

And if it really is so wrong, everyone without a Colt M-4 needs to feel bad about their "fake" clones (ar-15..RRA...stag..etc...all FAKE :)

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:17:07 AM EDT
[#6]
And where did you buy ?

Did they offer you warranties ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And where did you buy ?

Did they offer you warranties ?

Yea..warrenty...sure...lol...hell i don't think they marked the value on the customs form....

I like that they charged $35 for shipping (because it sounds normal to USA)...but the customs form says it was 32 yuan, which is like 4 bucks. lol

red
dragon
airsoft

cheaper than the HK shops...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#8]

And if it really is so wrong, everyone without a Colt M-4 needs to feel bad about their "fake" clones (ar-15..RRA...stag..etc...all FAKE :)

RRA, Stag, etc. do not say "COLT" anywhere on them....  They copied a design.  What these fakes are doing is copying a design (doing poorly at that) and using THEIR exact names to sell the product in hopes of a sucker.  If RRA was stamped with COLT on the side I can guarantee shit would hit the fan.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#9]
So then it's cool :) It's in a different font :)

lol
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:26:13 AM EDT
[#10]
There are many of countries that do not recognize US patents/trademarks. China is one of those countries. The manufacture and sale of these clones is not in violation of any of their laws.

The problem comes when they are imported and sold in the US or any country that does recognize our patents/trademarks. So unless these are being smuggled into our country and sold, not likely, then the real problem is in US Customs agents allowing these shipments to pass inspection.

Although easier said than done, tighter control of imports is the real answer to these problems.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't most companies farm out business to the Chinese to maximize profits with cheaper materials and labor? I am not saying the quality is the same, but is it worth $50 to mess around with? That is the choice of the consumer. They sell fake name brand clothes and accessories all over the U.S. My wife bought a fake Coach purse for $50 bucks and thought it was real. I told her there was no way it was real and then showed her the difference on the net.

Funny thing is, the real Coach purses that cost $100's of dollars are made in China.......
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top