Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 11:56:57 AM EDT
Hello everyone!

Please don't think I haven't run searches on this topic, because I have but I cant find any concrete answers.

I recently bought my 1st AR-15, a RRA Tactical. I have a EOTECH 556 on it & plan to get one of the 3x magnifier soon.

I know this has been asked before & I understand you "Get what you pay for", but I am looking for an inexpensive scope to do some longer range shooting with. Maybe from 100 to 300 yards max. I've seen scopes for well under $200.00, but have no idea what to look for.

Can anyone recommend a "decent" scope in the $150ish range? I know  a scope in the price range may be considered junk by most on here, but this would be used for fun & possibly some light hunting of prairie dogs & mostly for long range target shooting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone? I really want to try buy a scope this weekend but have no idea on brand and type to buy. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#2]
How much magnification do you want? I am a big fan of the Nikon Pro Staff Series, good glass and right in the price range you are talking. Also check out the Burris Timberline series (you can get them on SWFA) I have a 3-9x32 on my varmint rig and love it. Good luck.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're not going to shoot farther than 300 yards, the 3x magnifier you're talking about purchasing should do just fine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How much magnification do you want? I am a big fan of the Nikon Pro Staff Series, good glass and right in the price range you are talking. Also check out the Burris Timberline series (you can get them on SWFA) I have a 3-9x32 on my varmint rig and love it. Good luck.

I don't see shooting more than 200, maybe 300 yards. Any particular model number you would recommend in either brand? Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you're not going to shoot farther than 300 yards, the 3x magnifier you're talking about purchasing should do just fine.

The only problem is that I need a scope now & while I am waiting for the NEW 3x Eotech to come out which they told me may be a couple of more months. That's the main reason I didn't want to spend allot on a scope & then more on the magnifier. I was considering getting a knock off magnifier, but I think a scope would be mo0re useful on occasion. I'm just having a hard time trying to pick one that isn't too expensive & isn't a total piece of junk.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Again, it depends how much magnification you want. A standard 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff will serve you well, or if you want to spend a little more you could get a Nikon Buckmaster in the same magnification.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I would skip the walmart brand and get this :)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=434834

yea, it's chinese..guess what...it's twice as good as any sub $200 scope you'll get at walmart or bass pro...seriously. And it LOOKS good :)
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for everyone's info, I really appreciate it. To answer your question about magnification, I don't know! I am shooting out no more than 300 yards. What magnification do you think In would need? I'm totally new at this.

Here is my set-up, RRA Tactical Rifle with a EOTech 556. It came with the "Tactical Handle", but I took it off & have the EOTech on the flattop. I love the EOTech, but I need some magnification. I just ASSUMED I needed like a 3-9 power scope. I don't know, Ive never owned a scoped rifle.

My other option are these "fake" EOTECH 3X & 5X magnifiers made by MAKO. Not as good as the real ones, but it is another short term option, I just thought a scope would be better, but what do you think? Nice thing about the Magnifier is that I wouldn't need to keep taking the EOTECH off.  Thoughts?

If I did go with the Scope, would it be mounted on the Tactical handle or on the flat top? Sorry about all the questions guys.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an RRA Entry Tac and used to have it setup for 100-300yds. I had a Burris FF II 3-9x40($190 w/ free binocs) in el cheapo accushot rings($11). I was able to hit a bowling pin 9/10 times and shoot 6-8" groups at 300yds w/ GOOD ammo.

I think this would definitely fit the bill for you as being cheap, good quality, and capable of 300yds.

I've since swapped that (along w/ a number of other things) for an XTR-14 which is a beaut!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I got my set up from SWFA: Burris XTR extra high rings (easily clears front sight post) and Burris Timberline 3-9x32 scope. All together it was like $220 and mounted easily on my bushmaster varminter upper. I may upgrade to a nicer, higher magnification scope later but for now I am very happy with this set up.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top