Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2009 12:10:37 PM EDT
Hey,

I had these:

It my Eotech 552.  Lasts super long!  Super awesome battery!

Tried to turn on the Eotech today...nothing.  Lame.

I had to put some regular alkalines in.

Do these things have to "breathe"?  Did the airtight seal of the battery compartment kill 'em?

They haven't been in for that long.  

Any ideas why they went tits up?

Kevin "They keep going...and...nope."

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#1]
All of my N cell eotechs had the same problem. I have not had this problem with AA's.

It may be a good ide to remove the batteries during periods of storage.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Which is why I dumped my EoTechs...
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Alot of lower grade electronics will "bleed" energy in the off position.    I've noticed it with all kinds of things from flashlights to electronic calipers.    Theres even equipment with sleeves of plastic that you can pull out before use.  Thats because if the battery was touching the post, itd be all drained when you go to turn it on.

If you look on your batts their expiriation dates are something like 9 years away, so its definitley your electronics.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I finally gave up on EOtechs after experiencing the same thing many times over. I want to like them but at the end of the day its a re-packaged bushnell. I have seen more EOtechs go down on the line than anything else. I have never seen an aimpoint die.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#5]
When did you buy your Eotech?  

I got one of the first Rev.F's, and I have had zero problems with it, and no battery drain.  It's almost been abused the way I train with it, and it's still going strong.  

Maybe I just got a good one.  

I would get an Aimpoint if I were buying a new one though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#6]
It ain't the battery 'breathing'.

I've got the same battery in my M4 Aimpoint that I leave on 24/7. That battery has been going for 6 months + with no problems.

BSW
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Be careful with the Alkaline batteries.  Eotechs are known to cause them to leak.  

I wonder if the pressure exerted on them causes some of the problems?   If not then, yes, I believe that Eotechs suck energy even when turned off.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just curious.....  How much use and how long is "that long"?

Reason I ask is that I have two brand new 512s....... never used as of yet.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Youve just ben Eotech'd

Buy an Aimpoint
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Some asshat sold me an Eotech with 4-day battery life in the off position.  512.A65 Rev. F electronics.  I have to store it with a cardboard separator in the batt compartment so it won't drain them.  L3 says I have to pay $55 to replace the electronics
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some asshat sold me an Eotech with 4-day battery life in the off position.  512.A65 Rev. F electronics.  I have to store it with a cardboard separator in the batt compartment so it won't drain them.  L3 says I have to pay $55 to replace the electronics

I just sent a 511.A65 Rev F back to eotech for eating batteries.  It was $58.00 for the "repair".  Without the "repair" it was not worth keeping or trying to sell to someone else knowing it had a problem.  It was worth $58.00 for a "upgraded" unit for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious.....  How much use and how long is "that long"?

Reason I ask is that I have two brand new 512s....... never used as of yet.

Not much use and I'd say they've been in there...10 months?  Maybe longer.  

FYI it's a Rev F.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 512 Rev. F, about 5 years old, that's fine.  Same set of Energizer Alkalines for three years with less than 30 hours on them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry to hear about your problems as it sounds like you're doing everything right by using the Lithiums. If it helps, I'm on my 3rd EOTech (512->553->557) and I've never had a sight failure. I shoot 100-200rds weekly for matches and practice sessions with an accumulation of 16 hours of constant on every week.
Having said that, I've seen 2 EOTech failures. One was a 511 series that shut off during recoil and the other was a 512 series with Alkaline batteries that suddenly turned off.  It wouldn't power back on until he removed the batteries and tried it again 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear about your problems as it sounds like you're doing everything right by using the Lithiums. If it helps, I'm on my 3rd EOTech (512->553->557) and I've never had a sight failure. I shoot 100-200rds weekly for matches and practice sessions with an accumulation of 16 hours of constant on every week.
Having said that, I've seen 2 EOTech failures. One was a 511 series that shut off during recoil and the other was a 512 series with Alkaline batteries that suddenly turned off.  It wouldn't power back on until he removed the batteries and tried it again 30 minutes.

Oh, I've shot with it, I'm not worried about failure.  I was just trippin' that the batteries were dead simply from storage.

I guess I'll buy some more Lithiums and test monthly or bi-monthly to see if the Eotech is "eating" the batteries.

If the SHTF, AA's are in finite supply at my house...I don't want it gobbling them all up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I've seen 2 rev F units die while shooting, no warning, just turned off. Neither responded to battery changes, but they did reset after leaving the batteries out.

Eotech ought to change their motto to:

"Eotech, are your BUIS zeroed?'

BSW
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've seen 2 rev F units die while shooting, no warning, just turned off. Neither responded to battery changes, but they did reset after leaving the batteries out.

Eotech ought to change their motto to:

"Eotech, are your BUIS zeroed?'

BSW

That's basically what mine did with alkaline batteries.
Since swapping to lithium's i haven't had an issue. Just checked my records and it'll be a yr Saturday.(i didn't realize it had been that long)
I guess i'll be somewhat happy if it makes it a yr on batteries even though i don't have faith in it anymore

How do you sell a 400~ iffytech ............. include a larue fixed buis

Sucks because when it's working i really like it
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Should my 512s be okay with a manufacture date of Jan 2009?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a rev f n size battery , bought sight brand new 1+ years ago still have original battery, but is now flashing because I use it so much. Every once in a while you get a bad one out there or it was the batch of batteries.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a rev f n size battery , bought sight brand new 1+ years ago still have original battery, but is now flashing because I use it so much. Every once in a while you get a bad one out there or it was the batch of batteries.

You know you are right, it could be the battery.  Friend bought an Aimpoint M4 ....  sight went dead within a few weeks.  He put in a different battery and all seems to be well.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Youve just ben Eotech'd

Buy an Aimpoint

So was I "Aimpointed" when the battery in my Aimpoint CompC3 died after sitting in my safe a couple months?

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the same problem.  I ran tests over a period of time on my batteries that were installed in my EoTEch with the power off.  In the power off position I can measure current flow through the batteries.  So even though the EoTEch is off it is still draining the batteries.  

See my post http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=391618
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#23]
EOteched, Aimpointed ...pfft.

Trijicon is the solution.

Fiber lightpipe + tritium FOR THE WIN.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:10:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Well..  Maybe I "got lucky" (for once)...  I've had my E O Tech for over a year and a half.  It's a .557 model and the night-vision settings work fine and I checked it (for drain) with my multi-meter and found none.  I've had the same set of Lithium energizers in for the whole (nearly 2 years) and they work like new every time I hit the switch.

Of course, now I'm going to have to crack open my vault and check - just to be sure...  But I'll post a "bitch" if they're not working as always - because they should have like 1100 hours of use available - right?

Still working great...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:40:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
EOteched, Aimpointed ...pfft.

Trijicon is the solution.

Fiber lightpipe + tritium FOR THE WIN.

I love Eotech because of the window/reticle.  Tried Aimpoint, just didn't work for me.  No battery issues so far and have two ACOGs, all rifles have BUIS with tritium FSP.

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Youve just ben Eotech'd

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a Holosight and it will go dry after a year or so, but my two 552s will last for years with alkalines.  I do switch them out every now and then just to prevent leaks.

I sold one of my 552s to a friend a few years ago.  When I bought it back from him recently, it still had the original battery in it from years and years ago.  The battery leaked a little and messed up the battery rubber pad and springs, but still worked.  EoTech charged me $25 to 'repair' the scope after the leak.  While the scope was there they also upgraded the buttons to Rev.F standards, which was nice.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I've shot with it, I'm not worried about failure.  I was just trippin' that the batteries were dead simply from storage.

I guess I'll buy some more Lithiums and test monthly or bi-monthly to see if the Eotech is "eating" the batteries.

If the SHTF, AA's are in finite supply at my house...I don't want it gobbling them all up.

My 517 has been doing just fine on regular energizers, but it has only been 4 months now.  After I see how long they last, I was planning on replacing the batteries every 6 months no matter what.  I have so many AAs around my house it is not funny; what with remotes and flashlights and everything.  I just keep a large amount of 'extra' stocked.  I am getting ready to get about a dozen rechargable AAs with charger and a solar power station.  If SHTF, I can just go to those.  Who cares if they only last a month, if I can just recharge them with sunlight?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#29]
I have an "evil battery eating 511 Rev.F" from 2006 with the original batteries that works still works fine.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#30]
As much as I like them, I'd be out of Eotechs entirely if I had the money.  
This battery sucking issue in the N battery models means I can't really trust them.

Pity.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have an "evil battery eating 511 Rev.F" from 2006 with the original batteries that works still works fine.

So because of that, others dont have defective Eotechs?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So because of that, others dont have defective Eotechs?

I'm not saying that.  I've read many posts on this forum indicating that all N-cell EoTechs suffer from the battery issue, which is not the case.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Well, I just bought some more expensive ass lithiums.  

I'll keep an eye on 'em.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I've got a 552 rev F from 12/04, and it's always held up well with either alkaline or lithium, even when not used for months on end.

I also contributed some current drain measurements in the thread linked above, but nobody's posted enough power-off current drain that would kill batteries in even 6 months, let alone a week or two.

That's not to say it's not happening - clearly it is - but it's pretty unpredictable, and nobody's been able to measure current leakage when the problem occurs.  I'd guess Eotech would replace the electronics within the warranty period, but once you're outside it, it looks like you're out of luck.

It's a shame, because I like my Eotech a lot, but it's pretty hard to recommend a mission-critical sight that might be dead even if you replace the batteries once a month.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn, I just today pulled my Eotech 512 out of the safe, and it wont power up at all. I've tried new AA as well as new lithiums.
This has very little time on it. I feel like I've been "Eoteched" too!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Damn, I just today pulled my Eotech 512 out of the safe, and it wont power up at all. I've tried new AA as well as new lithiums.
This has very little time on it. I feel like I've been "Eoteched" too!

try hitting the battery contacts with an eraser this worked for me when i had issues with regular aa's
the contacts on mine showed no sign of being dirty or corroded in the least  but it worked
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I just had my batteries finally die, from old age yesterday while shooting. The n size batteries, luckily I had spares in my bag. Time to reset the clock and see how long these will last.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I've had the same Lithiums in my 552 for over 1.5 years now.  No problems.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top