Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2008 8:28:31 AM EDT

Hi All,

I have a new M4 upper and need a rear sight for it.  I might eventually get a scope/sighting system for it, but I don't think I will do that any time soon.

Would a non-flip up rear site be more stable, and a better option for me?  I was initially thinking of getting an ARMS or TROY flip up rear sight, but wanted to know if the LMT rear site makes more sense.  

Thanks for the help

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I had no optics on mine for quite a while and was using the arms 40.  Nothing wrong with it, but I'd prefer a fixed rear site instead if I wasn't using an optic, rather than a flip up.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#2]
yes
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the Larue for a fixed BUIS. I figure the pivot is just another failure point for a folding sight. From the way the Larue is built I suspect that the upper receiver picatinny would fail before the sight did. BSW
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I like the Larue for a fixed BUIS. I figure the pivot is just another failure point for a folding sight. From the way the Larue is built I suspect that the upper receiver picatinny would fail before the sight did. BSW

+1 and its cheaper than folding sights as well. quality+affordable= the win!
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Remember if you go fixed, someday you will want a flip down. Buy a flip down once and be done with it. Buy a Troy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the Larue fixed BUIS, it is built like a tank. If you ever plan on getting an aimpoint or EoTech you will most likely be just fine mounting the Larue behind it. I have mine behind an EoTech and it doesn't bother me at all.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
+1 on the Larue fixed BUIS, it is built like a tank. If you ever plan on getting an aimpoint or EoTech you will most likely be just fine mounting the Larue behind it. I have mine behind an EoTech and it doesn't bother me at all.

+1 ...too!  

I've been quite happy with this LMT behind and cowitnessed with my Aimpoint. Depending on whether I had a railed or other kind of gas block, instead of a traditional FSB , I might use a matching set of flip down sights.

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Thanks for the responses.  So you think the Larue is a better fixed rear site then the LMT?  It looks like the Larue has a same plane aperture option.  Is this something I would want if I get the Larue?

Thanks for all the help
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the responses.  So you think the Larue is a better fixed rear site then the LMT?  It looks like the Larue has a same plane aperture option.  Is this something I would want if I get the Larue?

Thanks for all the help

The LMT has the ability to adjust for elevation (for $30 more), and the Larue is simpler. with less parts to break.

How do you want to use it?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Also the Larue requires a coin to adjust windage. I don't like finger adjusters on BUIS as I always wonder if they are still zeroed.

As has been said before around here: It's a BUIS for combat, not for shooting a Palma match.

BSW
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:

How do you want to use it?

I will probably only ever use it plinking or messing around at the rifle range.  My main goal is to have something that keeps zero as much as possible for when I visit the range.  The AR is a 16" midlength with F marked front sight base if it matters.

Thanks  
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd go with a LaRue fixed rear in your situation.  Outside of KD courses, I've never touched an elevation knob on iron sights, and once you get the windage zeroed there's no reason to screw with it anymore.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#13]
irons only or an aimpoint, i used fixed BUIS
evertyhing else, i use a Troy folding
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'd go with a LaRue fixed rear in your situation.  Outside of KD courses, I've never touched an elevation knob on iron sights, and once you get the windage zeroed there's no reason to screw with it anymore.  

Quoted:

irons only or an aimpoint, i used fixed BUIS
evertyhing else, i use a Troy folding

Pretty much sums it up, IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#15]
If you don't have an optic why on Earth would you want a "Back Up" Iron Sight?

It ain't a back up is it?

Dude, reduce your variables on error. Otherwise keep it in your shirt pocket and screw it on only when you need it.
That will give you more variables.

Variables are not your friend.

Bill

ETA: I am talking about the folding sights, not the LaRue, LMT and Yankee Hill (and other) varities of a solid screw down sight.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#16]
If you aren't planning for optics anytime soon, just use the detachable carry handle sight.
If your rifle didn't come with the carry handle, they can be bought for $25-$65
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you aren't planning for optics anytime soon, just use the detachable carry handle sight.
If your rifle didn't come with the carry handle, they can be bought for $25-$65
www.fototime.com/14318ED87392EF5/standard.jpg

IMO this is the best idea.

Bill
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree, and if funds are low you can cut the carry handle into an LMT like buis. Personally, I started with a carry handle and switched to the Troy when I purchased my ACOG. I like have the carry handle though and will put it on my 5.45 Smith when it arrives. -Ben
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Does the Larue buis have narrower 'ears' than the Troy folder?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#20]
If I'm not using optics or plan to use optics, I use the removable carry handle. It's the way I have my 11.5 set up. I also use Trigicon night sights.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 5:32:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Get a carry handle sight and be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Remember if you go fixed, someday you will want a flip down. Buy a flip down once and be done with it. Buy a Troy.

+1

Or run a detachable carry handle, and have an A2-ish rig.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top