Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2008 9:12:42 PM EDT
Greetings...

Am considering one of their compact tactical scopes...5x42, illuminated (red/blue) mil-dot reticle, bullet drop compensation (100-500yd). Can get it pretty cheap.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Greetings...

Am considering one of their compact tactical scopes...5x32, illuminated (red/blue) mil-dot reticle, bullet drop compensation (100-500yd). Can get it pretty cheap.

Any thoughts?

Heavy sigh.....

Yup, $49.00 is cheap.

They are on E-gehy.  Startng bid?  $9.90.

Save your money for ammo, or save up for something better.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Greetings...

Am considering one of their compact tactical scopes...5x32, illuminated (red/blue) mil-dot reticle, bullet drop compensation (100-500yd). Can get it pretty cheap.

Any thoughts?

Heavy sigh.....

Yup, $49.00 is cheap.

They are on E-gehy.  Startng bid?  $9.90.

Save your money for ammo, or save up for something better.

Yes I agree.  Save the cash for a one time purchase.  Buy right the first time, buy once.  Buy crap and, well you get the picture.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:06:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Am actually looking for SPECIFIC experience regarding the Hammers scopes...not so much philosophical opinions. Yes, of course, a fine (expensive) scope is superior and durable...I get that.

I just need a stop-gap as funds don't exist for that purchase currently and I'd like to start shooting with a scope. We're talking $29 here...to tide me over 'til a "real" scope happens.

Does anyone SPECIFICALLY know the Hammers scopes?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess the problem is, that most of us have done the same thing.  We ALL pretty much got burned at one time or another because lack of patience  Maybe nobody has experience with that PARTICULAR scope, but we've had a LOT of experience with those varieties.  They usually don't even make it through the first day at the range.  Thus the advice :)  I had this same conversation with a friend of mine.  He said, "hey I just need this NCstar to last a little while, until I can afford another scope".  I told him to wait...get something even a little better... heck, even a tasco!  He bought it anyhow.  It looked cool, but fell apart in the first fifteen minutes at the RANGE!!  I took the next few moments to say....um...."I told you so"
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#5]
You pay for shit, you get shit. Period.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to agree with Gage.  While in college I looked frantically for a cheap optic for my Bushmaster M4 and I ended up buying a BSA red dot, a NCStar holosight, a NCStar 3-9X40 tactical scope and a cheap Bushnell.  In the end, they were all mistakes.  

When you buy cheap scopes you are almost definitely gonna end up regreting it, the things aren't worth it.  You want a cheaper scope?  Cheapest I'll go is $160 for a Burris 2-7X35 Fullfield II.  You want a cheap tacticool scope?  Go SPOT or Vortex Strikefire.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Am actually looking for SPECIFIC experience regarding the Hammers scopes...not so much philosophical opinions. Yes, of course, a fine (expensive) scope is superior and durable...I get that.

I just need a stop-gap as funds don't exist for that purchase currently and I'd like to start shooting with a scope. We're talking $29 here...to tide me over 'til a "real" scope happens.

Does anyone SPECIFICALLY know the Hammers scopes?

Thanks...

HEY! I'm quoting myself...whaddaya know! Thanks again for further philosphical and buying advice, but I hope my 2nd post here made it clear that I'm looking for people with SPECIFIC experience with Hammers scopes. Sorry for not being clear enough in the first place.

Honest, guys...I get it...spend more get more. Quality costs.

Really!
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck with that, you seem to be deaf to good advice.  Learn that first.
The good folks here try to steer you clear from wasting money, you made them feel they wasted their time in trying.

You: Hey how does this rat poison taste?
Us: Don't eat it.
You: I asked if it's any good.
Us: Doesn't matter, don't eat it.
You: Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough..

Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Good luck with that, you seem to be deaf to good advice.  Learn that first.
The good folks here try to steer you clear from wasting money, you made them feel they wasted their time in trying.

You: Hey how does this rat poison taste?
Us: Don't eat it.
You: I asked if it's any good.
Us: Doesn't matter, don't eat it.
You: Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough..

Lighten up, Francis.

Seriously...despite my attempts to clarify, what part of I GET IT don't you get?

Your colorful hyperbole aside, I inquired about Hammers scopes...got any information about Hammers scopes?

No? Thanks anyway. I didn't request generic advice about inexpensive scopes nor do I need to be educated as to the realities of quality costs more. I regret you find it offensive that I'm not inclined to be dissuaded by the information volunteered above.

It's advice and opinions, not an order!
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one that has stood up to about 20-30 rounds thru my 06 bolt gun. I don't have the lighted reticle model, but a plain jane model. I don't expect it to hold up for long, but it was a cheap "for now" scope.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have one that has stood up to about 20-30 rounds thru my 06 bolt gun. I don't have the lighted reticle model, but a plain jane model. I don't expect it to hold up for long, but it was a cheap "for now" scope.

Thanks for the info. (I appreciate that someone actually responded to my inquiry!)

(Rounds from a 30/06 bolt gun produce a HECKUVA lot more recoil energy than a semi-auto .223 feels.)

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#12]
A stop gap would be practice with irons, not a metallic piece of dung from Ebay.

shoot with irons, save for the real thing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A stop gap would be practice with irons, not a metallic piece of dung from Ebay.

shoot with irons, save for the real thing.

Metallic piece of dung from eBay is an assumption...and you know what you do when you assume. Unless, of course, you have SPECIFIC information re: Hammers scopes. I'll assume you don't, as you're not giving any info. and simply joining the gang in offering up invaluable shopping advice...thanks so much.

I will be shooting irons...my irons are either my BUIS or my detachable handle. Gun is for fun, not match shooting or my night job as a CIA sniper. I can live with the "loss" of a $20 investment, especially as my experience as an online shopper (eBay seller rating over 1200, 100%) has saved me tons of money in creating an excellent rifle.

BTW, scope is now in...hell, even the flip-up caps and the BATTERY just about make up what I've spent on it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#14]
You'll be really popular here
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not one to knock another mans toy...but that gun has some stuff that needs to come off.  Do yourself a favor, remove everthing from the gun and put it back on, but think this time.  

If it was me, I'd get rid of the flash light, lazer, CAA saddle, buttpad, cheap BUIS, and the optic.  From there I'd focus on a nicer BUIS setup before adding optics.  Think YHM or MI if money is tight.  Then put money toward a Millet DMS-1 and a mount.  Finally, take off the M4 stock and replace with a Magpul CTR.

Magpul CTR stock = $90
YHM front and rear BUIS = $130
Millet DMS-1 = $200
Mount = $50

Then I think most people would be pretty impressed with your setup.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It's what I live for.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not one to knock another mans toy...but that gun has some stuff that needs to come off.  Do yourself a favor, remove everthing from the gun and put it back on, but think this time.  

If it was me, I'd get rid of the flash light, lazer, CAA saddle, buttpad, cheap BUIS, and the optic.  From there I'd focus on a nicer BUIS setup before adding optics.  Think YHM or MI if money is tight.  Then put money toward a Millet DMS-1 and a mount.  Finally, take off the M4 stock and replace with a Magpul CTR.

Magpul CTR stock = $90
Millet DMS-1 = $200
Mount = $50

Thanks for more input on Hammers scopes. (Honestly, I'm not you. I'm glad you're happy with your choices. Also, I'm not interested in impressing. JUST TRYING TO GET ACTUAL FEEDBACK ON HAMMERS SCOPES!! Oy!)

I'm going to have to unsubscribe from my own post just to avoid the off-topic feed-back. Why are so many people so compelled to impose their tastes and preferences on others? I see loads of rifle pix on this site from members with hundreds or thousands of posts, (ostensibly making them "experienced" AR15 owners) and I don't care for their rifles!

So what? Who cares what I like? Who cares what anyone likes? Answer: the individual owner...and that's cool. There are many ways to build and configure a black rifle...that's just part of its beauty.

These non-Hammers opinions belong on other threads.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it was me, I'd get rid of the flash light, lazer, CAA saddle *I have one and it's awesome. If I go overseas, I will be sure to add one to my set up*, buttpad, cheap BUIS, and the optic.  From there I'd focus on a nicer BUIS setup before adding optics.  Think YHM or MI if money is tight.  Then put money toward a Millet DMS-1 and a mount.  Finally, take off the M4 stock and replace with a Magpul CTR.

Magpul CTR stock = $90 *How does this make his rifle better? Regular M4 stocks works fine. The CTR is nice, but it doesn't make the rifle "better"*
Millet DMS-1 = $200
Mount = $50

Comments in red.

I'd recommend the DMS-1 as well, awesome scope for the money.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top