Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2008 8:14:29 PM EDT
Whats the best Aimpoint clone out there, was looking at the Vortex Stike Fire, anyone had one?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#1]
S.P.O.T.  a.k.a. The GrantPoint -- he hated that name. There's a SPOT torture test thread from last or maybe two years ago, with some great reading (and hilarious testing) buried in the archive.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 3:14:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have to say pretty much anything. The dot on all of them will not be nice and round and if you have bad eyes it will make it even worse. I know it's cool to make your AR look like its Milspec and all that but you can get a better red dot brand name for about the same price as a good aimpoint clone.. look around at opticsplanet. I think it would be a much better idea of getting somthing that does not look like a Aimpoint but will work better then the clone.. just an idea
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 5:21:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I've handled a couple at gun shows and only saw Aimpoint marked on them.  How can you tell the difference?
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've handled a couple at gun shows and only saw Aimpoint marked on them.  How can you tell the difference?

there is a thread at the top of the page that goes into great detail on how to spot a chicom clone

i would have to say get the SPOT red dot, i have 2 and both have been very good. you can get them new for 165 bucks and the mount comes with them. and to me being made in south korea over a chinese knock off was the deal closer, good luck
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I would suggest taking a look at the Vortex Strikefire as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Again people pushing a optic they have never seen or touched or used.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The S.P.O.T. optic has already been thoroughly tested here. I'd go with the S.P.O.T. Thats not true, I'd go with a used Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Again people pushing a optic they have never seen or touched or used.

I'm not pushing anything, I am simply suggesting the OP consider it.

Who makes the S.P.O.T.? Who do you contact if it breaks? I have no doubt that it's a good red dot, the reviews I've read have been great.

On the other hand, the Strikefire, while new, is being offered by a U.S. company with a full limited lifetime tranferable warranty. They are a site sponser. They refused to release their site until they were satisfied with the specs. From what I've read on other optics forums, Vortex products are a superior value. The specs on the Strikefire are superior to the S.P.O.T.

Who knows, maybe the Vortex is junk. I'm sure we'll see soon enough, hopefully someone will do a torture test to the same degree the S.P.O.T. was. Right now, when I look at the two on paper, I would pick the Vortex. YMMV.

edited for clarity because I always fail to proof read
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top