Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 12:54:27 PM EDT
My AR (with removable handle) has a fixed front sight. I just ordered a scope for it and was wondering if the front sight will affect the view through the scope or will I need to mount it pretty high? I plan to remove the handle and mount on the flat top.....thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
They recommend Ultra High rings (LOOK HERE) for an AR flattop...  IIRC you will only see your front sight if you have a large objective lens and the scope on low power..

Good luck

Brian
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Be careful how high you mount it as you are eating up vertical elevation adjustment.  Now to the question, you won't pay any attention to the front sight.  I put a Burris Fullfield on amy A-2 and mounted it as low as I could.  i keep it on 6 power and don't even see the front sight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Standard AR iron sights have a line-of-sight 1.4" above the rail. To achieve that same line of sight with an optic will require scope mounts which put the scope centerline at that same 1.4" above the rail.  Scope makers define their scope dimentions differently--Leupold defines theirs from the bottom of the mount to the centerline of the scope.
I think they call their's "ultra high" or something like that.  Other manufacturers define their mounts from the bottom of the mount to the bottom of the scope ring--you have to add in half the diameter of the scope to get the height of the centerline above the rail There's nothing magic about the 1.4"--it's just a dimension that has proven satisfactory for a majority of the shooters.

This height will not place the scope centerline above the front sight, but at magnifications above 4X, the sight will be invisible.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top