Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/3/2008 3:07:21 PM EDT
i am looking for performance reviews on this scope, millett zoom dot.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
My agency got one for T&E and I liked it so much that I bought it.  It is very versatile, especially when used with a magnifier.  I also like the auto on as soon as I flip the covers down and the auto brightness seems to work very well.  There has been one time that the brightness was not "perfect" but still workable and still much better than a fixed brightness.  The time it was not "perfect" was on the range.  We have some old spools that we use for barricades and I got down in a low kneel alongside it which placed me under some wood and in the shade.  It was a bright sunny day and the target was out in the open.  The dot was not as bright as I was used to on the other shooting stages but it still worked and was visible, just not "perfect" as it has been in every other situation I have used it in.

I am also working on a small annoyance with Millet on the tension of the adjustment wheel however it did not keep me from buying the optic as I like the versatility that no other dot has.  What I have noticed is that under 5 shot rapid fire strings or more, the wheel has a tendency to back off making the dot size smaller.  It isn't a problem at the middle and up sizes as the difference it moves is not noticeable but at the low end, it can move enough to turn off, especially when used with a magnifier as you can run it much smaller than with the naked eye.  As soon as I know what Millete proposes for the fix, I'll be sure to post, but I am still please with what it has to offer.

It is also smaller and lighter than the SPOT I used to run.  The factory scope covers work okay and if I didn't run a magnifier would probably not have switched them out.  With the magnier I like that the Butler Creek cover folds out of the way more and they seem to lock closed tighter than the Millett's.  I like this fact as it prolongs the battery life.

After trading emails with Millett, they suggested cleaning the grease off the adjustment knob/battery.  They said it is greased from the factory to keep it from being too stiff.  I did it and it is a lot tighter to move by hand, but by no means difficult.  Unfortunately I did not get to the range today to see if it makes a difference while shooting.

I did get a chance to shoot it after de greasing as they said and it took a full 30 round mag before I could see any change in dot size.  I cleaned it a second time with a degreaser and now it stays put.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#3]
what number butler creek lens covers does the millett zoom dot take( eye piece &objective?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had one for about a week but I haven't had a chance to go shoot yet. I mounted it on my Sig 556 and by just messing with it I have to say, so far I like it. It's built like a tank and seems to be stupid simple. Comes with a nice mount too. I had to mount it kinda far back on the rail so the knob on the mount would clear the charging handle. The dot is really crisp form 1 to 10 MOA. The real test will come when I go shoot. I can't wait.

the dot looks much better than my crappy picture.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Any reason you couldn't flip the mount and put the knob on the opposite side of the gun so it would clear the charging handle?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]
No reason, really. I might give it a try. It works pretty good as is though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]
How does the zoom dot compare to the Aimpoint?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top