Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/30/2008 3:42:19 PM EDT
Whats the difference between the Comp M3 and ML3?
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
m3 works with night vision the ml3 does not
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]
If you were to use the ML2 with night vision, what would happen?  Would the dot blind you?  Would the dot be able to be seen by someone in front of you with Night vision?

I'm curious...  Has anyone tried this?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
If you were to use the ML2 with night vision, what would happen?  Would the dot blind you?  Would the dot be able to be seen by someone in front of you with Night vision?

You probably just can't see that spectrum of light through a night vision device.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I’ve never personally tried looking through an ML2 or 3 with NVG’s, but I do have experience with NVG’s. And based off my experience with NVG’s I’d say that the dot intensity with the non-NVG compatible Aimpoints is simply too intense.

I’d even venture to guess that the dot from a non-NVG compatible Aimpoint could cause permanent damage to the tube on a Night Vision Device.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I’ve never personally tried looking through an ML2 or 3 with NVG’s, but I do have experience with NVG’s. And based off my experience with NVG’s I’d say that the dot intensity with the non-NVG compatible Aimpoints is simply too intense.

I’d even venture to guess that the dot from a non-NVG compatible Aimpoint could cause permanent damage to the tube on a Night Vision Device.

That is what I was wondering / thinking... since the light is just standard red light.  In the USMC, our PVS14 would magnify that and cause spotting on the NVG.  I wonder if there is an add on filter that could be used to lessen the effect on NGVs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I have used the M2 and older M series with NVG's and looked at optic on the daylight setting. The dot will show in the NV unit as a bright "bloom" and will look  like someone is shining a bright breen spotlight at you. It has the potential of damaging the night vision device by burning a permanent spot where the dot hits it depending on the type of NV device and brightness of the dot. Never tried using a filter on an ML2 but my first thought is it would have to be dark enought ( tinted ) to reduce the visibility of the red dot to a level barely or not visible to the human eye, which would limit the users visibility. Who knows though, there are some pretty sharp folk on this site that may be able to come up with something.

Full-Auto
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top