Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2008 5:20:31 PM EDT
Has anybody tried using the Trijicon Tritium Green 3 Dot Sights for M16/AR15?  I'm thinking about putting a set on a rock river arms standard A2.

http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CP25
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to know as well. They're a heck of a lot cheaper than an aimpoint.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:42:11 AM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive thought about them but to me it looks like you might not be able to properly sight in the rifle. it looks like the tritium on the front post is only on one side so if your hitting high/low and need to adjust you cant make 1/4 turn clicks, you have to do a full rotation to still see the dot. hopefulle someone with them will chime in as id like to know as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#4]
If you use the Trijicon front sight, the tijicon insert is on one side of the post. However, it swivels independently from the base of the sight so you can properly adjust elevation and have the insert facing you. They work rather well at night and I only use the front sight, not the rear because I found that the rear inserts are a bit blurry with the rear sight so close to my eye. The only drawback from I have found is that the front post is wider than a standard front sight post and can ba a little more difficult to get top accuracy at distance (not impossible, just a little more effort needed).
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Using the fronts and rears is a very difficult exercise.  

The front is a different height from the height of the front sight post.

The rears blurr into two globes of light that overlap like a Mastercard symbol.  The distance your head is from the rear aperature determines how much the two globes overlap and how large they are.

Learning where to put the front dot into the rear Mastercard symbol to get a propper aim is kind of a pain and difficult/imprecise.

The rears are bright enough some people feel they hurt your night vision.

I think the rears help you get the front sight centered but are not great at getting your head in the correct position as far as up/down.

I would say an Aimpoint is about 20X more useful for shooting in low light.  These are in NO WAY a substitute for an optic.  They are also not a substitute for a good weaponlight.  Since I will have to use the weaponlight to identify anything I shoot at in the dark I cant use or see the glowing of the tritium becasue the weapon light over powers it while making my regualr irons quite visible and easy to use without tritium.

For this reason, I dont find the tritium 3 dot sights particularly useful.

A vertical tritium post and a 4 dot rear with the rears dabbed with a marker to dull them would be far more useful than the Trijicon 3 dots IMO.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats good to know, thanks for the input.

Quoted:
Using the fronts and rears is a very difficult exercise.  

The front is a different height from the height of the front sight post.

The rears blurr into two globes of light that overlap like a Mastercard symbol.  The distance your head is from the rear aperature determines how much the two globes overlap and how large they are.

Learning where to put the front dot into the rear Mastercard symbol to get a propper aim is kind of a pain and difficult/imprecise.

The rears are bright enough some people feel they hurt your night vision.

I think the rears help you get the front sight centered but are not great at getting your head in the correct position as far as up/down.

I would say an Aimpoint is about 20X more useful for shooting in low light.  These are in NO WAY a substitute for an optic.  They are also not a substitute for a good weaponlight.  Since I will have to use the weaponlight to identify anything I shoot at in the dark I cant use or see the glowing of the tritium becasue the weapon light over powers it while making my regualr irons quite visible and easy to use without tritium.

For this reason, I dont find the tritium 3 dot sights particularly useful.

A vertical tritium post and a 4 dot rear with the rears dabbed with a marker to dull them would be far more useful than the Trijicon 3 dots IMO.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top