Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2008 9:11:00 AM EDT
I need to get a red dot very soon.  Regardless of price, which would you choose?  I have used and EOtech and really like them but have never looked through an Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 3/17/2008 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#1]
now here's an original question, nobody's ever asked before..........

Get both is the correct response here.

mike

ps - yes I have both....
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Very helpful answer, really, thanks a lot..  I did a search before posting the question but found nothing.  However, the search engine only goes back 30 days
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both and love them both.  I feel more focus looking thru the Aimpoint, since it have a smaller POV.  I like the Eotech for wider POV in CQB.

Also batteries will last longer with the Aimpoint.  Down side to is you have to get mounts for the Aimpoint, but don't go cheap on this.  You need to get LaRue mount or ARMS mount..If you never tasted the LaRue Koolaid, you should (I did and I like it )

You should also get a 3X magnifier for them also, one will work with both optics.  I like Aimpoint 3X better than the Eotech magnifiers.

Link Posted: 3/17/2008 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
now here's an original question, nobody's ever asked before..........hinking.gif

mike

ps - yes I have both....height=8
Quoted:
Very helpful answer, really, thanks a lot..  I did a search before posting the question but found nothing.  However, the search engine only goes back 30 days

I agree, really thanks you are such a fountain of knowledge.  The man asked a simple question.  he did a search.  too bad the rest of us aren't as smart or wealthy as you.  he asked a question of those who had some knowledge in this area.  so what if it has been asked before-you don't have to answer and I am sure this isn't your personal website.  Be courteous and offer some helpful information or just don't reply at all.  I would like to know the answer as well-I was wondering about the same question too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I agree, really thanks you are such a fountain of knowledge.  The man asked a simple question.  he did a search.  too bad the rest of us aren't as smart or wealthy as you.  he asked a question of those who had some knowledge in this area.  so what if it has been asked before-you don't have to answer and I am sure this isn't your personal website.  Be courteous and offer some helpful information or just don't reply at all.  I would like to know the answer as well-I was wondering about the same question too.

Seven years from now you come back and ask the same question and I'll treat you the same as him okay - till then newb try picking an optic using a practical method - like shooting rifles with both optics installed on them to see which you prefer...... instead of trolling the old EO vs Aimpoint thread....

BTW, we have some great information tacked to the top of the Optics forum for those that are literate.

Beside he got the correct response to his question (which you being a newb wouldn't know, but he should).

mike
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Well Mr Wilson I see that you are a life member of the NRA, TSRA, LEAA and LSBA.  But I think you forgot to include your lifetime membership to the asshole of the month club.   We don't care if you have been a member here for 7 years.  Post your useless comments somewhere else because nobody here cares what you think.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have both, and if I had to choose one, it would be the Aimpoint.  I prefer the simple dot of the Aimpoint over the reticle of the EOTech, and I don't like the way the EOTech has to power off.  Don't get me wrong, the EOTech is an outstanding sight, but the Aimpoint is better suited for me.

By the way, how good are your eyes?  Any astigmatism?
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Aimpoint.  I have owned both, most recently an Eotech 512.  It ran down the batteries even when turned off.  I will never buy another Eotech, IMNSHO the Aimpoint...although bigger and heavier...is the way to go.

BTW, just ignore the assholes who lurk around just waiting to criticize you for asking a question.  The purpose of this forum is to share info and opinions and you did NOTHING wrong by asking this question.  The naysayers and critics can go fuck themselves.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#9]
oops...
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#10]
When faced with the same question I tried out both and went with the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the pointers.  I don't have the opportunity to try the Aimpoint before buying it.  I found one for $250 which seems like a good deal to me.  I guess I can buy and if I don't like it I can sell it here on EE!!

I do not have any vision problems, yet..  I am getting older though!  I will be using this on a 9mm build to run courses of fire at a local gun club.  They use steel targets so 5.56 ammo is  not allowed.  Anyway that is the intended use for the optic.  So it will almost all be close range shooting - 50 yards or less.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#12]
You have to ask yourself.. What is the MOST important feature in an Electrical red dot sight.

The answer is Battery life.... that and reliability.

Do you want a sight that can be left on for 7 yrs and you know it will always work??

Do you want a sight that can take severe amounts of punishment and still work??

Do you want a sight that does not wander it's zero?

The answer your looking for is Aimpoint.

Hundreds of thousands issued since 1997. Combat tested and proven....
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well Mr Wilson I see that you are a life member of the NRA, TSRA, LEAA and LSBA.  But I think you forgot to include your lifetime membership to the asshole of the month club.   We don't care if you have been a member here for 7 years.  Post your useless comments somewhere else because nobody here cares what you think.  

You'd be wrong there....

And you are taking the thread in the wrong direction...

The Eotech vs Aimpoint debate is a looooooong and cherished one here on Arfcom....gone on here for as long there've been Eotechs and the internet/errornet...

Seeing the same stuff debated year after year after year...when there is no perfect answer...does get a mite wearying for some folks...

Going to be buying that new Eotech version (with the side buttons) for my nephew in the Marines ..as soon as the NVD version is availablefor his birthday...hope to give it to him plus his new carbine when he gets home on leave in a couple months....

His brother will be an Lt. in the US Army in a year...and we just got him an Aimpoint and are getting him a magnifier for it...this week..

I picked those optics for the boys...cause that is what they asked for when I told them that the wife and I
wanted to give them something to show our gratitude for their sacrifice for our family and our country...

Your best bet is to do what Mr. Wilson suggested...well at least the part where you go out and try each and see
which one suits YOU best...or the one YOU feel most comfortable with..

I have had Aimpoints ever since the first one came out...same for ACOGS and the first Holoscope.....

Personally I am most comfortable with the Aimpoints..and shoot them the best......

Trial and error...Trial and error...

Good luck...& Good shooting...

IMO

Link Posted: 3/17/2008 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both, here in the bright AZ sun I like the Aimpont better.

I'm planning on getting an Aimpoint Micro for my next build with a Larue mount.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks for the pointers.  I don't have the opportunity to try the Aimpoint before buying it.

"Can't never did nuthin, my dad always says......., try using your noggin for something besides a hat rack.

It's really not that difficult, here I'll show ya......

1. Go to the Florida Hometown forum.

2. Post a thread there expressing your current inability to make a decision w/ regard to the EO vs the Aimpoint optics.

3. I suspect, (knowing the folks around here) that it would not be too difficult to hook up w/ a guy or a couple of them for that matter, at you local gun range and that they would be quite happy to let you test drive both of these optics.

4. Then perhaps you might be better equipped with the "knowledge" necessary to make the best choice based on your bias as to which of these fine red-dot optics are right for your eyes and your use.

Anyone making a decision/choice between these two red-dot optics that does NOT take the small amount of time to "properly" research their purchases of a $400 red-dot optics using some form of the methodoligy described above is just plain foolish in my book; just as folks that rely on responses to threads such as this.

The proper answer to this question is as stated several times now is get "both" for the Aimpoint is the most pratical choice for combat situations and the EO gives one "speed on target" required for most CQB drills - each has it's own advantages and unless ys try "both" out before tossing your money around ya just have not used your head.

Crying shame folks nowadays are so inept at proper thought processing, I may be an asshole but atleast I use my brain and damned if I'll apologize for that to folks that couldn't think there way outta bag if their lives depended on it.....

mike

ps - on second though - please accept my apology for any damage I might have caused above to anyone's ego or delicate sensibilities I'm an old fart that don't mince words with folks that have cranium up anus issues.

Link Posted: 3/18/2008 2:55:03 AM EDT
[#16]
speed on target is my main goal.  Battery life is not that important to me.  I will never be using this gun in any combat.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#17]
get the EOTech. It's faster. faster target aquisition. Aimpoints are bit more durable but nothing noticable IMO.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I have BOTH

Aimpoint ML2 and Eotech 551

Both sit on LMT M4`S

Both are AWESOME OPTICS and the best out there you can get!!!!

I happen to like the AIMPOINT a bit better

But its My TASTE

ALWAYS ON WHEN YOU TURN IT ON

Battery Life = OUTSTANDING

I bought mine back in 2001 just changed battery for the very first time last year!
I like that part best.
Also Wont DIE in 11 feet of water like some EOTECHS

Ive read alot of complaints with EOTECH!
Pat Rogers has seen some go down
Mine has gave me trouble with Battery Drain. Found DEAD 3 times.
But since useing DURACELL Its been running like a CHAMP NOW!!
Other than that I have nothing bad to say about the Eotech

Good luck

BTW If you go EOTECH buy the 553 that uses the 123batts I wish I did
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
now here's an original question, nobody's ever asked before..........

mike

ps - yes I have both....

Quoted:

The OP join date is 2002
Maybe it has been a TOPIC here a few times since then?

He/ Mr. Wilson also gave the answer Buy both and Find out
wich pretty much sums it up!

NO ONE AGREES FULLY ON THIS SUBJECT
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

PERSONAL ATTACK AND NAME CALLING

I CARE

Ive been here for years most of Mr. Wilson  INFO I agree with!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
speed on target is my main goal.  Battery life is not that important to me.  I will never be using this gun in any combat.

the buy a copy since its not going to be used for Protection
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm not a fan of the standard EOtechs (ie. 511, 512, 551, 552) because of the integrated mount.
Sure, it saves you some money, but I think it kinda sucks...  The little metal wedge that clamps to the
right side of the rail doesn't make very much surface contact.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#23]
height=8
Quoted:
You should also get a 3X magnifier for them also, one will work with both optics.  I like Aimpoint 3X better than the Eotech magnifiers.

Whys that? I'm probably going to go with an Eotech (511 or 512), but want/need a magnifier for it. Why is Aimpoints better?
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:

Seven years from now you come back and ask the same question and I'll treat you the same as him okay - till then newb try picking an optic using a practical method - like shooting rifles with both optics installed on them to see which you prefer...... instead of trolling the old EO vs Aimpoint thread....

BTW, we have some great information tacked to the top of the Optics forum for those that are literate.

Beside he got the correct response to his question (which you being a newb wouldn't know, but he should).

mike

We all don't hve the luxery of being able to shoot with both optics. Heck, I haven't shot with either one. Also the idea is the get multiple responses back to get an idea which one would be a better choice for him. You'd think you would want to help people understand your hobbies so they'll continue to grow.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We all don't hve the luxery of being able to shoot with both optics. Heck, I haven't shot with either one. Also the idea is the get multiple responses back to get an idea which one would be a better choice for him. You'd think you would want to help people understand your hobbies so they'll continue to grow.

and some us like yourself cannot READ either; otherwise you'd have taken to heart my example above of how to properly use one's head and actually meet local folks that'll help w/ this issue.......

mike
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
get the EOTech. It's faster. faster target aquisition. Aimpoints are bit more durable but nothing noticable IMO.

I have Both

EOTECH ISNT FASTER THAN A AIMPOINT
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whys that? I'm probably going to go with an Eotech (511 or 512), but want/need a magnifier for it. Why is Aimpoints better?

AGAIN

OWN BOTH ML2 AND 551

The reason I like The AIMPOINT  A TAD BETTER!!

Battery Life

Bought ML2 in 2001

JUST CAHNAGED BATTERY LAST YEAR

ML2 STAYS ON AND WONT SHUT OFF

ML2 WONT CHOKE ON A 11 FEET OF  WATER LIKE MOST EOTECHS DO!

Im not the only one here who has BOTH and Likes AIMPOINT!!

EOTECH HAS OVER 10 SCREWS ALL OVER IT AND MADE OF PLASTIC

PAT ROGERS SEEN  EOTECHS FAIL!!!!

MINE HAS GONE DEAD 3 TIMES WITH NEW BATTS!!!!

SEVERAL EOTECHS WENT OUT OF THE FACTORY AND ARE CROOKED WHEN MOUNTED

REALLY DONT MATTER IF THE ABOVE OP ISNT USEING THE OPTIC FOR PROTECTION ANYWAY

SO SINCE IT IS RANGE ONLY I WOULD GO WITH A COPY/SPOT

1 thing I do like about my EOTECH is it came with a mount
and holds its zero! and since change to a different brand battery its been running good

Link Posted: 3/18/2008 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and some us like yourself cannot READ either; otherwise you'd have taken to heart my example above of how to properly use one's head and actually meet local folks that'll help w/ this issue.......

mike

LOL  

Man what is up with these NEW GUYS
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another thing wich is odd

Most here said they like aimpoint over eotech and you happen to choose the eotech

so it really is a waste of Time
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I love the personal attacks, it really shows maturity. You don't know my circumstances as to why I haven't tried something like that. I work evenings with a rotating work schedule so unless someone had an open schedule it would more then likely have to be early morning on a Saturday or Sunday. Not to mention the nearest range is a little bit of a drive and is more of a sporting clay range with a few rifle/pistol lines.
Not to mention your post was after the one I quoted. I guess I should have read the whole thread before replying.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#31]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Another thing wich is odd

Most here said they like aimpoint over eotech and you happen to choose the eotech

so it really is a waste of Time

I didn't start this thread and had already decided before reading it. After reading it I'll probably end of getting both. Eotech for now though since its less money. That'll free up some to put elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I need to get a red dot very soon.  Regardless of price, which would you choose?  I have used and EOtech and really like them but have never looked through an Aimpoint.

I'll give you my honest and thoughtful answer:

I would love to have three AR's, with an ACOG on one, an Aimpoint on the 2nd, and an Eotech on the 3rd - I've tried all 3 and love them.

I am in the Army NG, and I use my personal AR for shooting bunnies (and I hope to bag a coyote too).  I think the Eotech is better for what I use it for, due to the 65 moa outer circle, and I think you get a quality sight for for less money.

I'm sure the Aimpoint is a great sight, but the Eotech has a lot going for it - it already has a mount and it excels in acquiring small, fast moving targets at close and intermediate ranges.

When I get deployed, if I don't get issued an optic, I hope I can get permission to use my Eotech - I'm sure it will handle all the abuse I can dish out.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I have decided on the Eotech.  Actually I will get the Holosight (without the rollbar).  I found one new on the EE for $180.  Doesn't seem like I can go wrong at that price since this is not a battle rifle!  
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have decided on the Eotech.  Actually I will get the Holosight (without the rollbar).  I found one new on the EE for $180.  Doesn't seem like I can go wrong at that price since this is not a battle rifle!  

My brother in law got a holosight and hasn't regretted it.  They are pretty sturdy even without the protective metal cage.

Let us know how it does!
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Well here is the range report on my new holosight that I picked up in EE.  I went out to the range at port malabar and tried to get a quick zero on the sight attached to a new 9mm upper.  After zeroing and shooting about 30 rounds I shot in a classIII sub gun match.  The sight was awesome!  I would definitely buy another for a fast shooting platform.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
You have to ask yourself.. What is the MOST important feature in an Electrical red dot sight.

Do you want a sight that can be left on for 7 yrs and you know it will always work??

I hate saying this... but I agree with Harv.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Cost aside, reliability aside, I much prefer the Aimpoint.  I cowitness most everything as I feel it's an advantageous manner of constructing a carbine.

To that end I wholeheartedly feel a simple 2MOA red dot with a rotary dial for brightness is much faster & easier to manipulate than trying to view your target through a 65MOA circle of dots with funky controls.

Doing the two finger poke to turn off your optic is goofy.  I'd just assume roll my thumb across the dial ... or forget to turn it off all together.  My Aimpoint doesn't care...it's battery will live over 50,000 hours on it's highest setting.

I've owned both, several of each actually, and much prefer the Aimpoint.

You'll find several hundred others that feel differently, so put my comment into the "YMMV" catagory please.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I agree as well.  My days in the Corps are over, but for home defense and/or SHTF, I want something with long battery life, and the 2moa dot is great for CQ and longer distances as well.  Great optic!!!

-Kenny
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Tweeter

Ya cut me deep bro....

I know I probably  am labeled an EOTech hater and an Aimpoint fan boy..

But if anyone has been paying attention to the evolution of both optics.. it's should be pretty clear which one has better reliability.. I would like to see EO Tech get there reliability back up there and improve there battery life... and maybe ditch that ARMS throwlever for a LaRue...

I've owned a early model ML2 since early 04 and it's on it's second battery...The only reason I changed it was I was getting ready for a 3 day class and it was a preventative measure. and this is the 10.000 hr life model.....

Now seriously.. How many guys can claim there on there 2nd pair of AA's for there EOTech??

Most guys have probably gone thru dozens of batteries if they have owned one that long (who actually shoot more then twice a year)

And how many have pulled it out of the case and found the unit dead?? and tell themselves " no biggie.. I'm just going to the range"

Sorry, but when your talking reliability.. that is just not acceptable to me...

And for what.. just to have that reticle    It's not that great of a reticle to me to trade off battery life. I don't need a F16 HUD sight with circles and dots  to aim with.. I need one point of reference that can be seen in all light conditions.. that I know will show up every time I turn it on.

Are Aimpoints perfect??? not hardly.. they will break... but the ratio is much lower.

And when folks who see these sights on a continual basis year after year after year tell you that they see one optic go down more often then most others... that should be a clue.. but folks can't let go of there choices... So it stops being "What's best" and starts being " I need to defend my choice"

make you pick.. but know the facts and choose wisely..choose based on what's important to you...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top