Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2008 3:00:10 PM EDT
Saw a few at a local show and liked them. Looking to put either a 4x30 or 3-9x42 on A2 carry handle strictly for range and hunting out to 200yrds. I already have an EOtech for serious business. This will be something to just bang around the woods or at the range. I'm only looking to spend <$100. I just dropped 2 grand on another rifle, eotech, ammo etc...My only concern is will they hold zero and what would be the best option of the 2 regarding magnification for hunting? I haven't found any detailed reviews on them. I'm up for other suggestions as well but there arent many for carry handles without sitting to high and to bulky. The NCStar models look like a good fit.

Help a brutha out,
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
run forest check the EE for someone selling something a little better, decent glass always makes a world of difference, also check out swfa in the industry section
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Here you go, LINK damn good scope, damn good price.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Who else makes something that mounts in a carry handle without a 10 foot riser for less than $100 bucks? I already stated this is for range and hunting.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
Here you go, LINK damn good scope, damn good price.

That would work well if I could find a way to mount it in a carry handle low........Every mount I have seen sits to damn high...!! Suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Who else makes something that mounts in a carry handle without a 10 foot riser for less than $100 bucks? I already stated this is for range and hunting.

I made the tragic mistake and bought one... a 3x10 power. POS won't hold a zero and the highest magnification is VERY fuzzy. And everyone I talk to about them says about the same thing.

Range? I can't hit minute-of-backstop. Hunting? Minute-of-mountain at best.

Save your pocket change and buy a good scope. The NC Star is a POS Chinese junk.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I own one and it is now on my 6920 . It is not going to be there for long , as I bought it to see if I liked the 3x magnification over the red dots (30mm Milet).

It is clearer at the edges than center . I sighted it in which only took a click or two . The paralax is hidious but it does shoot fair groups (@100). Holds zero ok but only shot it a few times .

I talked to Nac Star and they told me that some are being used in the sandbox , he relayed a breif example . I found that hard to believe , not that it would'nt put a round on target  . The "warm fuzzy" factor would be to where I'd much rather trust my irons .

I haven't beat it , but may just to see where it lets go .

It has done what I wanted ....for sure I want minimal power scopes over the red dot , although I liked it as well and it may be a better combat system .

Rocklock

Link Posted: 3/4/2008 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
I own one and it is now on my 6920 . It is not going to be there for long , as I bought it to see if I liked the 3x magnification over the red dots (30mm Milet).

It is clearer at the edges than center . I sighted it in which only took a click or two . The paralax is hidious but it does shoot fair groups (@100). Holds zero ok but only shot it a few times .

I talked to Nac Star and they told me that some are being used in the sandbox , he relayed a breif example . I found that hard to believe , not that it would'nt put a round on target  . The "warm fuzzy" factor would be to where I'd much rather trust my irons .

I haven't beat it , but may just to see where it lets go .

It has done what I wanted ....for sure I want minimal power scopes over the red dot , although I liked it as well and it may be a better combat system .

Rocklock

Which model do you have?
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered it from "Shooters" which is part of Sportsmans guide ... I think .

I'm not sure of the model # , it is a short little 3x9 rubber armor covered scope w/ BDC and illuminated (P4 retical).

How in the heck they can build it and ship it over here and sell it for $90 ??????

As soon as it gets a bit warmer I'm going to give it shake down cruise .

ETA I consider this as a test piece only , I will now invest in a high quaity low power scope
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I noticed a little Weaver straight 4x on sale at Natchez awhile back also $89.00?

I checked Natchez's site it's a Weaver 4x shotgun scope $79.00. Theres also a review of a little Pentax Gameseeker 1.5x4.5? on the forum.

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd spend a little more and get a Burris Fullfield II..for the money they can't be beat!
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&shortcut=0&from=R41&query=Burris+Fullfield+II&category0=&Submit=Search
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i consider myself an affcienado of cheap glass.

even i won't buy an ncstar scope.

Theres always Leepers
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
...snip  My only concern is will they hold zero and what would be the best option of the 2 regarding magnification for hunting?

I lean towards quality glass, so I have never owned an NC.  An associate of mine is not so lucky, and he bought one.  It would not hold zero for anything....extremely frustrating for my friend.  I also tried it, and can guarantee that it was not the shooter's fault; worst POS that I have ever seen.

I can't comment on low end choices, as the least expensive optic I own is a Leupy M8-4x on my .22LR bolt gun, but I can offer input to your other questions.  I run a 1.75-6x32 on my muzzleloader, and 3.5-10x50's on my other two primary hunting rifles.  

Also, if you plan to put a magnified optic on an A2, then a Magpul PRS works well.  Of course, if you are only willing to spend $100 on an optic, then a $200 stock is probably not in the cards.

Good luck with your experiment.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow...lots of NCStar haters.....lol

I'll take the hint and scrap the NCStar idea. Guess I'll just hunt with my EOtech and take my chances past 100 yrds.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top