Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2007 10:35:11 PM EDT
I am getting a new 6.8 SPC upper from Ko-tonics tomorrow or Tuesday-can't wait.

I will be mounting a 3-9X40mm Leupold

w/ LRD reticle
using WARNE steel rings. From looking at other photos it appears I may need to push the scope far up enough for proper eye relief.

It appears that people use scope mounts such as this one:

I dont have the money to invest in an item like this and in all honestly think its a f*cking rip-off when my scope was only $100 more

So, my question again is will it be okay to have one ring mounted on the upper receiver and one on the free-floated YHM rail?

Thanks for your imput in advance.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You shouldn't have too , 3x9 Leupold should be fine mounted on the receiver .
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:55:23 AM EDT
[#2]
The Armalite one-piece mount doesn't have as much offset as the Larue but does have a little if you need it...and can be had for a third the price of the Larue.  What is the eye-relief on that particular scope?  You may be fine on the receiver as is.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds very unorthodox to me mounting one ring on the handguard.......unless you don't mind possibly suffering erratic shot placement on your target. (I said possibly) You can try it.

If you are going to have eye relief limitations,  then an offset mount like the LaRue will save you a lot of trouble.

Get over the price culture shock. It didn't take me long to discover and accept the fact when getting into this hobby 3 years ago that hardware sold for these weapons is very propriatary. I no longer see it as high price "rip-offs", but specialized parts, and have come to accept and appreciate the innovative and quality designs of LaRue and others not available at your local Gander, Cabella's or Billy Bob's Gun Shop.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#4]
     The Larue is top of the line and you are paying for the quick disconnect levers.
I use the B-Square which is similar I believe to the Armalite. It clamps on the flat top with two big screws that come off with a coin . It keys into the groves and if you keep track of which grove it will return close to zero . With my C&R discount at Brownells or midway I believe it is about $60 and $75? without the discount.
     Seems to me you might be putting lots of stress on the scope by bridging the gap. Might mess up the scope in the long run and I would worry that the zero will wander around .
      I have several flat ARs and several more 10/22s that I have put larger rails on that all work with the 4 different scopes with their B-square mounts .
Some are not moved often,some are special purpose that are always being swapped around
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#5]
you could look into either Armalite's 1-piece mount which is 1/2 the price of the larue, or look at a simple ARMS base with clamping bar, and ARMS STANAG rings, or their proprietary rings - a little over $100 if you shop carefully.  You can use a pair of 1/2" risers to interface the clamping bar base to the flattop if ring height vs. scope bell is an issue.

BTW IMO there are two separate aspects to the high prices for this stuff:

1. the high-end manufacturers vary significantly in how much they charge for "similar" function.  I'm not talking Leapers, I'm talking brands mentioned in this article.  I don't do this for a living so I won't opine on whether paying $200 for a Larue gets you function or quality that $100 for an ARMS or Armalite solution with similar form factor won't.  As a reasonably educated hobby shooter who buys "investment grade" stuff I don't see a difference.

2. the same can be said of retailers - I've seen one article in this class which went for $50 at most sites and $30 at another one, and there are other similar instances.

In both cases for the civilian market, 9/11 made spec-ops and high-speed/low-drag a way cool K-RaD commodity for chairborne rangers like us (no offence to those here who leave off the 'ch', I'm not referring to you) particularly the ones with disposable income (and our exposure in turn to that community has the potential to make us way better shooters than we were - consciousness raising, thanks guys in uniform).  I suspect that the top-line vendors are taking their experience operating in the "we'll pay what it takes for quality" environment of Federal contracts and applying it to the growing civilian market - "if they'll pay, we'll sell it to them.  And we'll charge them for it too".   Perfectly reasonable, and there is some stuff out there to totally drool over, up to the point where you're paying 100% extra just because you have a particular logo imprinted on your BUIS.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#6]
The SPR mount you have pictured above, is a work of art for the price.  Look around at the other options, and you will see the quality is all there.

Buy it once has always been my opinion.  I have owned the 1pc Armalite, and it comes in second when you look at cost, but lacks the throw levers which is really a nice feature.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#7]
You didn't say what height the Warne rings are, but another option is an extended rail, like the GG&G scout rail, the RRA extended rail, one of the YHM, etc.  These work well and give you lots of flexibility with medium rings, but they do add extra points of connection where you can get shifts or looseness.

If you want sturdy, simple, and inexpensive, the Armalite one-piece is a good bet, but the semi-QR thumbscrews do stick out a bit, and it's got a centerline of 1.25", which is a little low for some people.  They're $90 new, or $50-75 on EE.  You could also watch Armalite's 12 Days of sales going on now to see if they put the one-piece up.

The LaRue is considered the best.  If you need QR levers and a bit more height, it's well worth it, and it holds its value well if you ever want to get rid of it.  Like everywhere, if you want the best, you pay extra.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Tomorrow and Tuesday are the same day
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#9]
bad news... i would definitely advise AGAINST mounting one ring on the upper and one on the rail...

rails flex.

the whole point of a free float rail is that while the rail is flexing it is not deflecting the barrel... no matter how tight the sling is, or how hard you are leaning on your bipod, the POI/POA is the SAME...

by mounting one ring on the upper and one on the rail (AKA bridging the gap), you risk not only a POI shift, but also damaging the scope.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a Rock River Arms mount.  It will work.

$47

LINK

Armalite makes a similar mount in 1" and 30mm:

$89

LINK

You can also buy the shorter ARMS Swan Sleeve and use some very basic rings from almost anyone.

LINK
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tomorrow and Tuesday are the same day

Sorry, by 35 minutes you are right. Posted :: 12/3/2007 12:35:11 AM MST

The upper did not come in the mail today, Fed-ex shows a drop for tomorrow....now if I could only get over the guilt I would feel if I called off work tomorrow to hit up the range.

I will post pics of the finished product...hopefully I wont have any problems but I do appreciate all of the responses with other econimical options.

You guys are great.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:07:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

$47

LINK

$89

LINK

You can also buy the shorter ARMS Swan Sleeve and use some very basic rings from almost anyone.

LINK

I have both, I'd recommend the Armalite.  It is a bit heavier but less bulky and better cheek-weld height with conventional scopes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:38:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Try the Armalite. If you need more relief get a YHM rail.

LaRue is a ripoff? Try making one yourself.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Mounting a scope with one ring on the receiver and one on the forearm is not a wise thing to do.  Nor is spanning the gap with a one piece mount.

You might be able to make it work with both rings on the receiver. It did for me but just barely.

Warne rings are great, and inexpensive, but I have since bought several Larue mounts and they are worth the price IMO if you are frequently taking the scope on and off.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Are you looking for a quick release mount option or just a solid option with proper eye relieve?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

$47

LINK

$89

LINK

LINK

12-Days of Armalite sale has the one piece 1" scope mount for $45.00.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#19]
If the scope is a 1inch tube, armalite is selling there scope mount for 49bucks today its on there website in the 12days of christmas sale.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I used to own a LaRue.  It was great, but I didn't want to have that much money tied up in a mount since I don't use the QD feature.  So I bought the YHM extended mount for my 6.8.

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/Msokol13/KT68-R4R8-600x76.jpg

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/Msokol13/s7_711457_imageset_02.jpg
w/ LRD reticle
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/Msokol13/pf_leupold_long_rge_dpx_130_133.jpgusing WARNE steel rings. From looking at other photos it appears I may need to push the scope far up enough for proper eye relief.

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/Msokol13/spr_193_big1.jpg

I dont have the money to invest in an item like this and in all honestly think its a f*cking rip-off when my scope was only $100 morehave

An optic is only as good as its mounting solution.  Your scope is certainly worthy of the LaRue SPR.  Mounting to the receiver only reduces variables.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/Msokol13/KT68-R4R8-600x76.jpg

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/Msokol13/s7_711457_imageset_02.jpg
w/ LRD reticle
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/Msokol13/pf_leupold_long_rge_dpx_130_133.jpgusing WARNE steel rings. From looking at other photos it appears I may need to push the scope far up enough for proper eye relief.

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/Msokol13/spr_193_big1.jpg

I dont have the money to invest in an item like this and in all honestly think its a f*cking rip-off when my scope was only $100 more

So, my question again is will it be okay to have one ring mounted on the upper receiver and one on the free-floated YHM rail?

An optic is only as good as its mounting solution.  Your scope is certainly worthy of the LaRue SPR.  Mounting to the receiver only reduces variables.

Agreed, here is what I ended up with.

YHM riser and WARNE quick detach rings.

I LOVE the AR-15 platform and thanks to all of the vendors there are literally dozens of ways to mount a scope based on the users preferences.

I like the Armalite 1 piece rail but feel that the mount may restrict future changes so I feel this is the most solid setup as of right now for the limited funds that I have.

enjoy the photos

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top