Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 12:42:35 PM EDT
I thought my AR was sighted in....I shot it today at 100yds and it was about 8" high..using the irons...this is a 16" HB "issue" AR15 (meaning same style as issued).
I brought it back to 25yds and was pretty much on....is this normal? I wanted to zero it in and use it for some yote hunting this year....but thats a miss difference there.
I have a red dot on it that co-witnesses with the irons....non magnified.

Any help would be appreicated.

I want to be able to hit at 0-probably 200yds....i was of the understanding that if it was on at 25, it should be "on" out to what 250?

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The ARMY regs and tecniques are to zero at 25 meters this gives the rifle MOC (minuet of chest) out 300 meters.  The goal is to get a center mass hit, and save ammo buy not zeroing at a farther distance.

I have a RRA entry tac I used it for deer, prarie dogs, and 'yotes while I lived in SD.

to zero:

1. sight in at 25 yards iron sights BUIS.

2.  I then co witness red dot optics

3. I then zero the red dot optics at 100 yards

4. Then re cowitness the BUIS at 100 yards

I find this gives several advatages to me.....

1.  My groups are only 2 inches high at 200 yards

2.  I can remove my EO tech and put it back on then confirm zero using the co-witness

3.  My groups are 4 inches low at 50 yards

4, groups are 6 inches low at 25 yards.

5.  It was also very easy to zero my laser at 100 yards using this technique

If you don't like this idea or do not have access to a 100 yard range try using the 50 yard zero which gives a flatter path of travel (cant' spell tarjectory right now)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I would just sight in the red dot at 100.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the replys......good idea....
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]
50yd zero is perfect for the 5.56mm cartridge...

you will be about 1.25" LOW at 25yds, dead on at 50yd/220yd(200m), and +/- 2" out to almost 275yds...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Rotty, your carbine is right on the beam for the standard Battlesight Zero. You can easily modify the sighting to suit your needs, but you have to know what you wish to accomplish beforehand. If you look at the trajectory posted above, you'll see how it's impossible to hit the zero at 25 AND 100 with the same sighting set-up. A more usable sighting for many is the 'Improved Battlesight Zero' in which you make a quick and reversible modification to your rear sight and zero at 50. This trajectory will still be a little high at 100 but will come down to zero around 200. You can find out more by searching for 'IBZ'.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Rotty, your carbine is right on the beam for the standard Battlesight Zero. You can easily modify the sighting to suit your needs, but you have to know what you wish to accomplish beforehand. If you look at the trajectory posted above, you'll see how it's impossible to hit the zero at 25 AND 100 with the same sighting set-up. A more usable sighting for many is the 'Improved Battlesight Zero' in which you make a quick and reversible modification to your rear sight and zero at 50. This trajectory will still be a little high at 100 but will come down to zero around 200. You can find out more by searching for 'IBZ'.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1 i like the IBZ 50yd zero being that my range has 25, 50, 100, and 300yd ranges. I'm usually on 50 and 100 so knowing that i'll be just a few inches high at 100 is easy to compensate for.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Do a Google search on "ballistic calculator". You can enter the data for your ammo and your sight height above bore and play with the numbers all you want. Great tools.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top