Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2007 10:10:59 AM EDT
I have aquired my 1st Black Rifle ( I can see that this can become an addiction quick) I have a S&W MP15 that has a detachable handle. The question is can I remove handle and get some type of scopemount high enough to clear the front site and if so what brand, kind do you recommend and why. As stated I am new to the AR-15 platform so that is why I want to know why you recommend a certain mount.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Im sure you could get the scope high enough, but would you want to? Im thinking your cheek wont ever touch the stock then. I have my AR's set up so you can close your eyes, put the gun to your shoulder, rest cheek on stock, open eyes and look thru scope.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#2]
change your FSB, much smarter move.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
if you are using a magnified optic you will not see the front sight.  you can get inexpensive mounts from b-square and armaliite or get what seems to be the standard now and go with larue.  hth
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Ideally, you want the scope centerline to be close to the iron sights axis so that you can bring it up and into position quickly and naturally no matter what kind of sights you use.  By the time you're high enough to clear the front sight, you lose cheek weld.

Around 3x, the front site is a blurry shadow.  As you go higher, it goes away completely.  As you go lower, it becomes clearer.  Some people are bothered by this, some aren't.

A flip-up front is a good compromise, but is less sturdy than a fixed front.

I'd give it a try and see how it works as is.  It's hard to go wrong with the Armalite or LaRue one-pieces, depending on your budget.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top