Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 7:23:49 AM EDT
I want to shoot my rifle with iron sights 99% of the time. When I bought  the rifle I got a troy folding sight, it only has one large aperture. What I would like is to have the dual aperture's in a fixed sight. The best option is?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#1]

I would get a qualilty carry handle and use that if it is truly going to be used 99% of the time...
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#2]
+1
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#3]
LMT fixed or LaRue fixed BUIS are both top notch.  

Also, maybe I'm not reading your question correctly, but my Troy has two aperatures...one large and one small.  What else would you want?  I believe most BUIS are this way including the LMT and LaRue mentioned above.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
LMT fixed or LaRue fixed BUIS are both top notch.  

Also, maybe I'm not reading your question correctly, but my Troy has two aperatures...one large and one small.  What else would you want?  I believe most BUIS are this way including the LMT and LaRue mentioned above.

I think my troy is older it only has one large aperature. The other thing is I want it to be fixed not folding.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Then get the carry handle.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, why not just trade for a fixed carry handle upper?  I'm sure you can find someone around here who wants to trade out their A1 or A2 upper for a flattop, may as well trade out.

Optics can be mounted on carry handles later for the 1% chance when you want to use them...

~Augee
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
FWIW, why not just trade for a fixed carry handle upper?  I'm sure you can find someone around here who wants to trade out their A1 or A2 upper for a flattop, may as well trade out.

Optics can be mounted on carry handles later for the 1% chance when you want to use them...

~Augee
I think I may just try to build another I already have a complete lower. Does an A1 upper have 2 apertures or just 1.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Best way is a full carry handle.  There are iron sights that clamp on to a picatinny rail, however these have limited vertical travel, so if you are going to do anything like shoot an NRA XTC match, you will not have enough elevation to get out to 600 yards.

Also, as mentioned, there are attachment options for scopes on handles, so going with an A2 upper is also a good option.  Your scope height will be too high, but if it is only for 1%, you can either live with it, or get a cheek pad.

Art
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd get the Larue.  Sturdy and simple with no elevation adjustments, and you can put an optic in front if you feel like it.  Plus it returns to zero if you have to remove it.  

ETA it has both aperatures.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#10]
How about for a fixed front sight?  I'm in the same position and have been checking out the POF sight.  Has anyone used this front?  I've decided on the LaRue for the rear.

Might I just as well go with a folding front sight, like a Samson or something?  I'd like to keep the rear fixed.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Larue and it is top notch.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top