BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2007 9:51:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going through the same learning curve with my new progressives.  I've only done one range trip and have seen what you mean with the red dot.  My lenses seem to distort horizontal surfaces too.  I'm going to try more practice myself.

I'm still trying not to bust my ass stepping off of curbs.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do you mean you had the dot being off to the left or right, or that it's a blob?

I couldn't get it focused.  It was more a smear than a dot.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I wear progressive glasses too and I've learned a couple of thinks about shooting with optics.

First thing you must realise that if youwear glasses of any kind and zero a rifle, it is zeroed only for you.

You'll want to get proper eye relief and focus the reticle to your prescription. This normally means pointing at a white wall or even a clear sky and focusing until the reticle is crystal clear.

Next thing to do is work on YOUR zero. Cheek weld and eye relief is critical for us folks that wear glases. The method I recommend is to lay your cheek on the stock and slide it down slowly until your cheekbone rests on the stock.

Try this several time until you get used to it, then practice by closing your eyes, shouldering the weapon then opening your eyes and looking through the scope.

This will do two things: You will train yourself to maintain the same cheek weld every time you shoulder the rifle and it will also help keep the same part of your prescription glasses focused on the scope in the same spot each time.

As far as eye relief goes, a trick I use is to wear a ball cap. When I shoulder the rifle, the tip of the ball cap always falls onto the same spot over the eyepiece of the scope every time.

one other thing you might want to pay attentio  to as an eyeglass wearer is that when your glasses slide down your nose slightly, that will throw your focus off to along with your zero, so get in the habit of sliding the glasses up each time you go to take a shot.

Let me know if these things help you. I've learned these tricks the hard way shooting long range precision.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top