Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2007 6:10:37 PM EDT
Its for a acog on a arms mount, mounted on a flat top. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't need a boresighter, you need to boresight your rifle.  Remove your upper, and take out the BCG, so you can see down the bore.  Set the upper in a rest, or on something steady, with the scope mounted.  Put a target at about 25 yds.  Look down the bore until the bullseye of the target is centered in it.  Now put the scope on the exact same spot.  You're boresighted for free.  It'll get you on paper, and you can adjust using live rounds later.  Don't waste money on a laser boresighter.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You don't need a boresighter, you need to boresight your rifle.  Remove your upper, and take out the BCG, so you can see down the bore.  Set the upper in a rest, or on something steady, with the scope mounted.  Put a target at about 25 yds.  Look down the bore until the bullseye of the target is centered in it.  Now put the scope on the exact same spot.  You're boresighted for free.  It'll get you on paper, and you can adjust using live rounds later.  Don't waste money on a laser boresighter.

+1

I had a laser boresigher, waste of time.

The other way, once on paper...

Take a shot. do not move gun, move crosshairs to where the hole is on paper, now squared away.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a Laser sighter muzzle fitted,(pretty often actually) problem is the laser must be centered first, takes time to bring the center in on those... Then the adapters are limited , i had to improvise, rolled paper spacer worked well. Looking down the barrel is ok but not all guns have easy access..
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the Leopold ones with the magnets.  It gets me on paper.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had very good luck with these:

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=295740

You chamber it just like a normal round, much easier setup and way more accurate than the stick it in the end w/ o-rings boresighter. It gets me on paper and within 2-3 MOA of the target.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an ancient Tasco bore sighter that works well enough to get on paper. What I've been doing lately though is just taking a shot at a dirt clod on the 100 yard berm & seeing where the hit is & then make a rough sight adjustment to get on paper. Sometimes it takes two shots.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1 this method puts me on paper every time
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I use the Leupold Magnetic Boresighter and it works great!

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

+1... and you can use it effectively for rifles with a large amount of offset of the scope from the bore. (i.e. many military semi autos...)

IMHO, the laser ones are completely useless.

- AG
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Boresighted at least 10 reifles using the "position the barrel on the target looking through the receiver at 25 yards, and then adjust accordingly to whatever distance you want."

On the paper with 2 shots, and saved the cash for ammo.

Tack
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Another +1 for the sight down the bore method:

Upper propped on something stable:

Sighted in on an easily-spotted item in the back yard:

Zero the scope on the same target:

Go back and forth a few times to make sure it hasn't shifted, and you're on the paper.  Just takes a few minutes once you get it set up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have one of the Leopold ones with the magnets.  It gets me on paper.  

Me too. Works surprisingly well, once you figure it out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Another +1 for the sight down the bore method:

Upper propped on something stable:
www.maxicon.com/guns/ar/ar_boresight_setup_1a.jpg

Sighted in on an easily-spotted item in the back yard:
www.maxicon.com/guns/ar/ar_barrel_boresight_3.jpg

Zero the scope on the same target:
www.maxicon.com/guns/ar/mueller_10x_25yd_1a.jpg

Go back and forth a few times to make sure it hasn't shifted, and you're on the paper.  Just takes a few minutes once you get it set up.

+1

I have had only experince with one type of laser bore sighter. It is from a mid range, well known US company.

Though the after sales service was great, the product itself was disappointing.

It is difficult to see the red laser in full daylight even at 25 meters. Plus it would seem that when attached to the bore, it is not dead center.

Do as Maxicon shows above ... it will get you on paper.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#14]
before i knew better, i spent a whole 30 dollars for a laser boresighter from walmart....but ill be damned if that thing isnt fast and easy.....and better than just "on paper".  There have been a few time that i havent needed further adjustment after boresighting.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top