Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 1:51:55 PM EDT
Several years ago I purchased three 2x-7x compact Burris scopes for my Ar15s and AR10. These are nice compact scopes that are bright and clear and cost ~ $225 when I purchased them.

Shortly after buying them one failed, the reticle came lose and could be heard rattling in the tube. I sent it in and Burris fixed it no questions asked. Last October after some range shooting the other two scopes both failed within an hour of each other. This time the reticles both started to rotate so it looked like an x instead of a +. I was not pleased at this and sent both back for service and asked what was going on with these scopes. Burris again fixed both scopes and said “this is not a common problem with these scopes” on the return slip. No explanation as to why they failed.  Now after shooting last month the first scope that had this problem and was repaired developed the rotated reticle after shooting. That makes three scopes failing four times with the same problem.
All these scopes are mounted in solid Leupold quick detach rings on 223 and 308 flat top ARs not a 50 BMG.
I also have a fixed power Burris 6x compact scope that is mounted on a 50 BMG and have no problems with it. I’m guessing this is limited to the variable scopes.

Has anyone had a similar problem with their Burris scope? If so is it a recurring problem?

As you can imaging I’m not happy about this and will send the scope back for repair yet again. At this point I have lost all confidence in these scopes and will ask Burris to solve this problem permanently or I will ask for a replacement. I would really like my $$$ back but that’s not likely.

These scopes are the cat# 200376 models
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
it a recurring problem?

That sounds like a rhetorical question after reading your post.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:58:29 AM EDT
[#2]
My buddy bought a 2-7x Burris Signature back in '98 and ended up with the exact same problem.

He had it repaired by Burris as well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:31:56 AM EDT
[#3]
that sucks and is definitely not normal. I have three Burris scopes, none of them have had any problems. sounds like you got scopes from a bad lot.
At this point I would expect Burris to replace them. get all of your documentation together and give them a call, talk directly with a supervisor and don't take no for an answer. be polite but insist they replace them, you my be on the phone a while and have to speak with several people. Good luck.

tag for outcome.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Of the three Burris scopes I have owned:

Burris compact 2-7 on an AR 10+ years ago. The reticle rotated in the body at about round 200. Went back for repair then sold the scope.

Burris 4x compact air rifle scope on my RWS 48. Reticle rotated in it and it fogged. Went back for repair then moved it to a .22.

Burris 2.5 scout scope that was the worst tracking scope I have ever owned. Sold it with the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had three different Burris scopes do the exact same thing in the last five years, and one of them was a Black Diamond. The Black Diamond was the only one that was on a hard kicking rifle(a lightwieght .300 Jarrett) and I completely lost the reticule the third time I pulled the trigger. After sending the scope in for repair, the people at Burris fixed it and sent it back along with a ball cap and T-shirt, and the scope did the same thing later in the year after firing 36 rounds under it.

The other two Burris scopes I had trouble with both had the rotating reticule syndrome within the first year of use and they were both FullField IIs.

I no longer buy Burris rifle scopes...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Weird...
I have several Burris scopes - mostly their higher-end Signature or Black Diamond scopes.

I've never had a problem with any Burris scope.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I know a guy we used to hunt with. He put a Burris on his Sako 375 H&H and it self destructed.

Bill
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Weird...
I have several Burris scopes - mostly their higher-end Signature or Black Diamond scopes.

I've never had a problem with any Burris scope.

Same here.  I have a Black Diamond that I really like.  No problems at all.  In fact, it has performed better that I anticipated.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one of the newer 1.5 X 6 X 40mm Burris Signature scopes on my 20" HBAR.  This scope was developed for dangerous game hunting (very hard recoiling, big bore rifles).

I've put around 2,500 rounds through my HBAR with this scope in place mounted on an A.R.M.S. mount and IIRC, Leupold rings.  No problems.

This scope will have a new place to live on my next rifle; a government profile 20" A3.  It's a great scope because it is a "rapid acquisition" type scope.  It's not sensitive to precise eye placement behind the ocular and it has a reticle ; not a dot .

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top