Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2007 8:32:05 AM EDT

I'm not a patent lawyer, but could there be potential for trouble here?  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#1]
mmmmm!!!  PRI should call SAMSOM MFG. and ask them what can happen when you pissed off TROY industries
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
mmmmm!!!  PRI should call SAMSOM MFG. and ask them what can happen when you pissed off TROY industries

I was thinking the same thing.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Nah....I see enough difference to so ...no.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm thinking specifically the apertures and lock mechanism.  They're identical.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Come on.  It's obvious that the mounting screw is on the left on the Troy, and on the right on the PRI.

But seriously, I think there's enough difference that the only ones who would make out OK on an infringement suit would be the lawyers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#6]
You guys do know that the Troy flip-up sights use basically the same locking mechanism as the PRI gas block/front sight which has been around much longer, right?  That's why their locking device looks almost identical.

Seriously, theres only so many ways to design a flip-up sight so there's bound to be many similarities between the sights from different manufacturers.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You guys do know that the Troy flip-up sights use basically the same locking mechanism as the PRI gas block/front sight which has been around much longer, right?  That's why their locking device looks almost identical.

Seriously, theres only so many ways to design a flip-up sight so there's bound to be many similarities between the sights from different manufacturers.  

Good point.  I have always wondered, though, how much flexibility there is to use someone elses mechanism without issue.  Could it be, in some cases, that a manufacturer just doesn't pursue an infringement?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't most  A2  derived apertures look the same ?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't most  A2  derived apertures look the same ?

I was referring to the shape and angle more than anything.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#10]
troy and pri rail mounted front sights are damn near identical as well.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
troy and pri rail mounted front sights are damn near identical as well.

I have/had one of each- not true at all.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#12]
According to this article..almost all of the Front Sight towers come from the same design.

http://www.vltor.com/vst.htm

thats like saying that Bushmaster and Colt are infringing on Armalites Patent for the AR15 action, or the Trademark AR-15 Name.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top