Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2007 9:40:57 AM EDT
Wanted to purchase this optic but don't have much time using one.  Pros/Cons would be helpful along with any other suggestions for different optics.  Dept regulations nothing over 4x and keep in mind this will spend most of it's time in my car and be used as my patrol rifle while at work.  Rock River Entry Tactical is what I plan on mounting it on.  Brandon
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Wanted to purchase this optic but don't have much time using one.  Pros/Cons would be helpful along with any other suggestions for different optics.  Dept regulations nothing over 4x and keep in mind this will spend most of it's time in my car and be used as my patrol rifle while at work.  Rock River Entry Tactical is what I plan on mounting it on.  Brandon

Pros: Uses 123 Batts, Reticle is very forgiving when viewing off center, Battery life is good, Auto shut off after 4 or 8 hours, very durable, great customer service, good reticle for CQB.

Cons: Uses ARMS mount, Expensive compared to the AA model and aftermarket mount, no magnification, magnifier from EO Tech is a ripoff, some have a slight cant to them when mounted due to ARMS mount.

I had the 553, and just sold it.  It was very fast, but I like a magnified optic.  For quickness, I ended up with a ACOG and Doctor combo.

Now, For a LE role, this would be a great choice if you want zero magnification.  I also like the 512 with the GG&G cam mount.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Been good reads on this forum about even if you would normally be concerned with close encounters and not far for a patrol rifle its still good to have magnification for identification capability as long as it doesnt compromise your CQB role for your optic.
The two best i think for now would be the EO-tech W/FTS magnifier or the piggy back acog,cant make up my mind yet.

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Brondon

I am also a LEO and I use an EOTech 553 on my 16" duty AR.  No need for magnification in an urban environment.  Think of how often you will ever take a shot at anything close to 100 yards/meters?  I would say on the outside 50 might be it...
Not sure where you work some counties would probly have the possibility for a longer shot...
Something to think about.  I love my EOTechs though...it all comes down to personal preferance though.  I feel like magnification does slow you down on a CQB engagment though.
Good luck and 10-48.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Brondon

I am also a LEO and I use an EOTech 553 on my 16" duty AR.  No need for magnification in an urban environment.  Think of how often you will ever take a shot at anything close to 100 yards/meters?  I would say on the outside 50 might be it...
Not sure where you work some counties would probly have the possibility for a longer shot...
Something to think about.  I love my EOTechs though...it all comes down to personal preferance though.  I feel like magnification does slow you down on a CQB engagment though.
Good luck and 10-48.

+1   I would think that you would be more likely to have a CQB encounter than a longer range affair (100+).  Not likely to need magnification for that distance.  Either the 553 or an Aimpoint would work well for such situations.  I have both and for me the EOTech works just slightly better for quick acquisition of close targets.  Just me.  The Aimpoint has the longer battery life (if you plan on leaving it ON most of the time) and simpler controls, IMO.  For your intended purpose I would probably recommend the EOT although it's mainly personal preference.  I like my 553 just fine.  It uses the CR123 batteries, which are the same ones used in the Surefire tactical flashlights.  The unit is also shorter than the AA battery models which mkes it a little easier to "fit" on a flat-top.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:59:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I have heard reports of some shaky 553 ARMS mounts(they are ARMS after all)  have they figured anything out to steady them yet?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#7]
i have had 0 problems with the ARMS mount on the 553
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had no problems with my 553 mount (ARMS).
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:48:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Pat Rogers has some of them and he said everyone one of them is loose.  Its to bad as i did the DE Eotech.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top