Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2007 1:35:13 AM EDT
Anyone know where I can find a night sight post (tritium) that will screw in for the front folding sight?  Troy hasn't come out with them yet and says they should have one in about a month but I don't want to wait.  Anyone out there come up with a solution yet?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The only thing I could find was this www.ameriglo.net/catalog/brochure.pdf. The troy takes a AK style post but I do not know if the threads are the same.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you! I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they know if it will fit...Guess I could call Troy and see if they'll tell me what the thread size is on theirs is first...

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thank you! I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they know if it will fit...Guess I could call Troy and see if they'll tell me what the thread size is on theirs is first...

Thanks again.

Please let us know what you find out. Thanks!

Tack
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I called Troy Ind. and was told they are going to start offering their front battle sights with standard A2 sight posts.  For all the people that already have the sights, they are going to retrofit them (send yours in, pay them around $40 and they send it back).  According to Troy Ind, it will be about 1.5 months until they are offering the new sights/retrofitting.  The gentleman I spoke to wasn't able to locate the thread size for the current post anywhere to compare to ameriglo's.

I called Ameriglo and was advised that he had sold their AK47 posts to people using Troy Ind. sights.  He didn't have any around his office and the warehouse they use was closed for the day so I wasn't able to get one shipped to me today.  It will be shipped tomorrow and I'll see if it truly fits.  I was given a great price so even if it doesn't fit, I'm not out much.

I'll keep you guys posted.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I am happy to say that I received my ameriglo sight post (PN: AK-715) and it fits in the Troy Ind. front sight.  It seemed a little tight so I compared the slots between it and the stock one and noticed the slot was a little wider on the ameriglo.  So I took a pair of pliers and barely reduced the slot (squeezed the sides a little at the end where there are no threads).  It then fit perfectly.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#6]
UPDATE!!!

I discovered that the night sight insert WILL NOT screw down far enough into the front sight base to raise the POI where it needs to be to get the rifle zeroed.  Solution is to have the big portion just above the threads machine, milled or ground down to allow the sight to screw further into the FSB.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#7]
double posting...sorry
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
UPDATE!!!

I discovered that the night sight insert WILL NOT screw down far enough into the front sight base to raise the POI where it needs to be to get the rifle zeroed.  Solution is to have the big portion just above the threads machine, milled or ground down to allow the sight to screw further into the FSB.

How much needs to be machined off? Since it is hidden grinding is probably the easiest way and I think least likely to damage the tirtium insert,providing the grinding wheel doesnt grab it and spit it out.  A belt or disc sander will do it also. I could make a fixture for the lathe and turn them shorter but that would be a lot of work for something a grinder could do.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#9]
It would depend on your rifle.  It isn't too much.  Remove some, shoot, and repeat if necessary for the distance you are using to zero.  I'd use a dremel tool.  I think you would have the best control and the ability to be delicate with it.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top