Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2007 9:55:24 AM EDT
Opinions and field reports on the following would be appreciated.

Leupold Military Tactical 1x14

Aimpoint MICRO H-1

Thanks!

Hep
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Post questins like this in the appropriate forums please. There is an optics forum for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Post questins like this in the appropriate forums please. There is an optics forum for a reason.

This is the optics forum.

I'm asking for a comparison on 2 different but similar OPTICS

Are you confusing THIS forum, AR-15 »  Optics, Mounts, and Sights with the Optics & Sight Equipment under Equipment Exchange which is for sales.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you confusing THIS forum, AR-15 »  Optics, Mounts, and Sights with the Optics & Sight Equipment under Equipment Exchange which is for sales.

I swear to you this was in the AR Discussion thread when I posted that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it was
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Told ya so...
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Leupold battery life is 15 hours (that's not a typo) and it has two settings -- ON and OFF.  Reticle is not daylight visibile from what I understand, but it is etched so it's always there.  

If you feel a black reticle is satisfactory and you do the vast majority of your shooting in daylight, then it's worthy of consideration.  But otherwise I'd pass and go to something that has better battery life.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Told ya so...

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it was

Oki-dokie! Anyone have anything to contribute to my original question now?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Leupold battery life is 15 hours (that's not a typo) and it has two settings -- ON and OFF.  Reticle is not daylight visibile from what I understand, but it is etched so it's always there.  

If you feel a black reticle is satisfactory and you do the vast majority of your shooting in daylight, then it's worthy of consideration.  But otherwise I'd pass and go to something that has better battery life.

I did handle one at the SHOT SHOW and liked it. It's like a mini CQT. The battery module is in the base and an extra I was told.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I tried both units extensively and i find that the Aimpoint are a much better solution due to the ability to adjust brightness and also the longer battery life.  the unit it self are not M4 compatible at the time of my test so you can mount a minidot and use it to the exact 2.6 inch over bore like the rest of the red ot, but it is an excellent platform for your MP5, Shotgun, UMP, and supplement to your scoped rifle.

the Leupold is a nice alternative, but the battery life is not as desireable, and if you go in and out of buildings or even from sun light to shaded area, I had a split second time that readjust and reacquire the reticle.  this might be my eyes, but from lited retiel to just plane black etch reticle, my eyes took a second to realize this. something to consider but nothing of concern.

the Leupold optic are bright and beautiful, much better then the Aimpoint glass.

I did however find a little flew with the Aimpoint, the smallish tube makes a bit slower then using the larger tube or even the single pane heads up type. I had a little slowewr time on my shotgun compare to like a ML2 or an EOTEch. you just had to get the gun up to the exact right position to get that dot to show up, not as quick on a snap shot with a little distance.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#12]
As always, big THANKS to the man himself, SMGLee.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#13]
well if you have handled many scopes sights you kind of have to decide you like a scope with ilumiation or a red dot sight.

there are pluses and minus to each but it is kind of an apples vs oranges comarison.  most (but not all) iluminated retical scopes will washout in bright light.  they still have retical though.  a good red dot will not but without battery you have no retical.  battery life on the aimpoints are pretty crazy though so it is almost a non issue.  Actually failure of the electronics is the only issue.

me personally I would go with the aimpoint.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top