Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/8/2007 5:06:23 PM EDT
So, I really like the TA31 series of ACOG's but I'm having a hard time differentiating the 2.  According to Trijicon's web site, the RCO is meant for the M4 style of rifles with 14.5" barrels where the standard TA31F is meant just for a flattop AR.  Other than that, is there anything that makes the RCO model any better than just the "F" model?  Pretty much all I'm going to be shooting out of my LMT 14.5" upper (w/perm phantom) is any ordinary 55gr. ammo.  Unlike the TA01NSN, Trijicon doesn't mention that either model is calibrated to a specific ammo grain.  I suppose the nice thing about the "F" model is that it comes with a hard pelican case where the RCO has a soft case.  Any opinions will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are going to be calling in airstrikes or artillery, or identifying targets in buildings and such for other people equipped with RCOs then get that.  I personally don't like my glass cluttered up with lines and hash marks and such.  In fact, my favorite reticle is a simple German post and line.  It's quick.  Too many people think they need a cluttered up reticle when what they really need is range time.  A TA31F is just fine and has all that you need.....a red pointed chevron and some bdc lines.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A TA31F is just fine and has all that you need.....a red pointed chevron and some bdc lines.

+1 I have looked through both and while both are outstanding in clarity and durability I have no need for the RCO since I am not directing other shooters to engage my targets.  

RCO looks cooler TA31F more practical.  

$0.02
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the RCO.

You never know when you might be directing other shooters or airstrikes...
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The RCO does have one other benefit besides the "ARTY Reticle", that being the cable tethered dust covers for the adjustment dials. Is it $200.00 worth of improvement over the other, ?????
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The RCO does have one other benefit besides the "ARTY Reticle", that being the cable tethered dust covers for the adjustment dials. Is it $200.00 worth of improvement over the other, ?????
You can get those for the TA31F now.  The come as a replacement with the cables.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks bloodmoon, that's good info.  I think those lines on the RCO reticle are cool and all, I just don't know that I'd use them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You can get those for the TA31F now.  The come as a replacement with the cables.

Yeah? That would be a nice addition to the rest of the ACOG line.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd rather have the TA-11F. Don't get me wrong I have a 31F and enjoy it. I just perfer the wider FOV and greater eye relief.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#9]
With the RCO you also get the ODgreen MOLLY carrying case. I have mine on the back of my TAC vest and it's kinda nice for stuff like the lenz pen and loose odds&ends that I carry. Not to mention a good place to stash the ACOG if need be. I really like the teathered caps too..
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top