Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2007 4:27:00 PM EDT
I'd like to get into distance shooting with my SPR, but need some irons.  Here are the makes/models that I'm considering:

- Knight's Armament (KA) = folding RAS-mounted front, 600m rear
- Troy industries (TI) = M4-style folding front, standard Troy rear

Given the application, would KA sights be a favorable choice over TI or can TI sights do the same thing (but for a bit less dough)?

If you'd like to recommend a set of non-KA/TI SPR irons, please feel free to do so in your reply.

Thanks in advance for your counsel!

Killy

P.S.
Mixing brands is also an option (e.g. KA 600m rear, TI M4 folding front).
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Troy front and rear is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#4]
KAC was the way to go for a buddy of mine.  I was to buy him a set of Troy's in exchange for a 10/22 but at the last minute he went with HK style.  He hated them and we worked something else out.

In the end he moved his KAC 300m that he got used for $55 and refinished over to his new SBR build and bought the KAC front flip up:

At $160 the front sight wasn't cheap but combined at $215, he paid much less than he would have for TROYS and they look so nice- the front especially.  

The only possible gripe is the slot head clamp screws.  As long as you don't plan on taking them on and off, you are GTG.  They should be lok-tited on anyway so you won't need to take them off anyway.

The front sight post IS smaller than a standard it seems.  BUT it also seems that the flip up portion is much narrower than a standard AR15 FS but with the 300m rear peep, it seems the perfect size.

Link Posted: 6/10/2007 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer Troys BUIS, always have and always will.
Link Posted: 6/10/2007 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#6]
After using which other brands?  -just out of curiosity's sake.  I've only used ARMS rears and no other fronts BTW.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
To everyone who has posted:

Thanks again for your input!

MSTN, I think I'm going to take you guys up on a set of the Knight's irons.  The application is 200+ yards with 70+ grain bullets.

If you could please do me a favor and post your contact info (including mailing address), I would really appreciate it.

I'l be in touch with you guys soon.

Killy

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#9]
KAC is a good way to go.  very nice gear and well respected in the industry.

hook him up wes.  

you may want to splurge and get the 600m rear that is height adjustable.  the front sight is height adjustable but it's only got so much to offer in the way of elevation before seeming to get out of it's element.

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#10]
ETA: I'd say a new front BUIS and a use rear 600m would be ideal.  can't ruin the rear so a used is very practical.  Still just a little above the COMMON Troy setup but well worth it to have something different and at the moment, battle proven.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top