BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Millet DMS-1 (Page 1 of 41)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 41
Posted: 5/1/2007 7:25:00 PM EDT
Has anybody tried the Millett DMS-1, and where can you buy one?
Link Posted: 5/1/2007 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
i got to play with a sales rep sample a few weeks ago....
i like the idea (and the price!) but the optic seemed dim and cloudy.  i didn't look thru it outside in bright light, but inside our store it seemed "gloomy".
it would still be a decent optic for the price though.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the information, do you know where you can get one at a good price?
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
no, the rep said they were in short supply right now....maybe SWFA? (they seem to have everything else optics-wise so why not?)
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I ordered one from Impact guns last week and was told it would be 4 weeks until it would be shipped. I figured for $230 it was worth a try.
Link Posted: 5/3/2007 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#5]
  BigRiver Tactical has them in stock.   I just got Millit TRS-1 from them.   Very nice scope for the money

link
Link Posted: 5/7/2007 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By BigBore45:
Very nice scope for the money

Have you done a direct comparison with other optics in this style or price range? Absent that, what do you like and not like about the Millett?

Link Posted: 5/7/2007 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Could you please list the length of the scope? I've been searching the net for measurements, but haven't found any. I'm really interested in this scope, seem like what I've been looking for my AR.

regards,

Luis Leon
Link Posted: 5/7/2007 11:53:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By BigBore45:
  BigRiver Tactical has them in stock.   I just got Millit TRS-1 from them.   Very nice scope for the money

link

Can you post some pics?
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been eyeballing this optic as well, I'm just warry of "you get what you pay for".
Link Posted: 5/14/2007 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#10]
PCR-00, I agree.

If it turns out to be a good piece though, the price will probably rise...quickly.

Or someone will rebrand it and sell it for $100-200 more.

Link Posted: 5/14/2007 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmmmm.  Looks like Impactguns has them in stock for $219 now...
Link Posted: 5/15/2007 12:48:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shooter521] [#12]

Originally Posted By PCR-00:
Hmmmm.  Looks like Impactguns has them in stock for $219 now...

Midway USA just sent me an Email stating these were in-stock at $229.95, but their web site still (or is it "already"?) shows them out of stock.

Still waiting on a firsthand live-fire review.

Link Posted: 5/15/2007 1:16:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PowershipMC] [#13]
I just got mine from midway yesterday. I ordered on Wed of last week when they came in stock. Their site was listed as  in stock for about 3 days and went back out of stock. You may want to call them.

I will try and get pics up in a couple of days.  If you are curious what it looks like,  it looks EXACTLY like the GRSC scope but with a different reticle.

Initial impressions of the scope looks very good. I did notice that 1x is not a true 1x, there is a slight magnification on that setting.  Illumination is not visible if it is really bright outside.
Link Posted: 5/17/2007 10:15:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PowershipMC] [#14]
Here are some pics I took today. My pics of the reticle do not do it justice, but the Glass is really clear.

Millett's website now has the manual posted.

DMS Manual

The windage adjustment cap has a place for a spare battery.

Link Posted: 5/17/2007 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By PowershipMC:
Illumination is not visible if it is really bright outside.

Thanks for the review. For reference, how bright was it outside when you took the reticle pics posted above (which are damn good, BTW)? Illumination looks plenty visible to me...

Link Posted: 5/17/2007 11:26:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firedog55] [#16]
I've got mine on a 6.8 SPC that I built.  It's mounted in an Armalite mount.  It seems to be a solid, well built optic.  The glass is not as clear as Leupold, Zeiss, etc., but for the price it's good.  The turrets are smooth and the illuminated reticle is easy to line up on target.  As you can see in the picture it's a big optic, and is heavy.  Mine is the earlier version than powershipMC's but the reticle is the same and has about 750 rounds of 6.8 under it with no problems.  The main difference is the location of the illumination control on the ocular lens rather than the turret, I think the new location on the turret is better.   I work part time in a gun store that specializes in hunting.   We sell a lot of Millet optics and rarely ever have to send 1 back for repair.   IMHO it's worth the asking price.

Link Posted: 5/18/2007 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got mine. I'll test it out tomorrow.

Link Posted: 5/19/2007 3:10:54 AM EDT
[#18]

I just got mine from midway yesterday. I ordered on Wed of last week when they came in stock. Their site was listed as  in stock for about 3 days and went back out of stock. You may want to call them.

I will try and get pics up in a couple of days.  If you are curious what it looks like,  it looks EXACTLY like the GRSC scope but with a different reticle.

Initial impressions of the scope looks very good. I did notice that 1x is not a true 1x, there is a slight magnification on that setting.  Illumination is not visible if it is really bright outside.

I too got one from Midway.  Weeks ago I setup a 'notification' for when it would be in stock.  Then I just happened to visit Midway and find they were in stock so I ordered one.  A day or two later I got the 'notification' they were in stock and so I clicked on the link, by that time they were already out of stock again.  Lucky for me I was just surfing their site at the right time.

As to the magnification, you might try dialing out your diopter ring one full rotation.  When mine arrived it was screwed all the way in and the magnification seemed off.  Once I rotated it out one full revolution (so the adjustment hash mark is visible) it seemed to be very close to 1x.  From the photos it looks like yours may be screwed in all the way.

Just a thought...
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Has anyone weighed this optic? I would be interested to know what it weighs.

Thanks,
Matt
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#20]
If nobody replies as to the weight, just email them: [email protected]

It looks to be a fairly heavy duty scope, heavy being the operative word.

A side note, Millett only spec, and resell chinese optics. IMO, they should get that eagle and "American company" off their packaging, and get real.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know the exact weight but I was suprised at how heavy it is.

Link Posted: 5/22/2007 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I should be getting one by the end of the week, I can toss it on the analytical balance in lab to figure out how much it weighs I guess.
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 3:42:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I called Millett on Monday.  They could not give me any info as the spec sheets have not arrived yet???????  I am interested to know the FOV, the actual size of the donut and the estimated battery life?  Any help would be appreciated.

Billy
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#24]
WOW!
Looks good!
Any reticle pics with the illumination off?
Link Posted: 5/25/2007 12:05:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PowershipMC] [#25]
I forgot to weigh it before I mounted it on the Larue. With the mount my scale says 1.55lbs.
Length is approx 11.5 inches.

Link Posted: 5/25/2007 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#26]

I forgot to weigh it before I mounted it on the Larue. With the mount my scale says 1.55lbs.
Length is approx 11.5 inches.

ronmoyer.com/fdcc/SBR/01.JPG

ronmoyer.com/fdcc/SBR/02.JPG

ronmoyer.com/fdcc/SBR/03.JPG

THANKS!
Mine is ordered!
Link Posted: 5/25/2007 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I get 489.14g on the analytical balance in lab which converts to 1.078lbs for the bare gen 2 scope.
Link Posted: 5/25/2007 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Hmmmm. Not bad...
Link Posted: 5/25/2007 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#29]
One pound isn't too bad for as large as it is.
Link Posted: 5/26/2007 2:46:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I am going to have to look into one of these.  The price it great.  Is it a true 1 power?
Link Posted: 5/27/2007 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I weighed mine on my digital postal scale when I got it as it seemed heavy.. it was 17.2 oz
Link Posted: 5/28/2007 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I assume this is a 30mm tube??

I am picking one up ASAP.

Anybody want to trade theirs out for my Burris 2-7 Tactical?  
Link Posted: 5/28/2007 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By army_eod:
I assume this is a 30mm tube??

I am picking one up ASAP.

Anybody want to trade theirs out for my Burris 2-7 Tactical?  

Yes it's a 30 mm tube
Link Posted: 5/28/2007 6:34:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#34]
Can anyone compare the optics to another scope?  We have one person saying it is cloudy and one person saying it is clear.  What is it cloudy compared to or clear comapred to?  

This scope is not heavy for a 1-4X BTW for those claiming it is heavy... heavy compared to what?  It is lighter than a S&B Short Dot, it is lighter than an IOR 1.1-4X, and it is lighter than a Meopta Meostar for example.

We have people saying it is not daylight viable and others claiming it is.  Can someone please post a pic of the reticle at 100% and black if it is not visible in bright daylight?  Shots of the reticle on a shady background can be deciving so noone knows if it has daylight visable illumination or not at this point.  From the lack of bloom on the more shaded background I am guessing it might wash out on a bright, light, directly lit background but cant be sure.

There seems to be a distanct lack of objectivity which is going to be confusing to people who might want this scope and either do not have any expereince or have a lot of experience with other optics.
Link Posted: 5/28/2007 7:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: exocet] [#35]
tag

anybody ordered from Impact guns ? how was the service ?
Link Posted: 5/28/2007 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#36]
It needs some mildot's ,or range bars on the verticle reticle
Link Posted: 5/28/2007 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By MajorCaliber:

Then buy the GRSC version of this scope.  Far better reticle for shooting M855 at range.  I personally dont shoot carbines past 200 yards or shoot M855 ammo.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By DevL:

Originally Posted By MajorCaliber:

Then buy the GRSC version of this scope.  Far better reticle for shooting M855 at range.  I personally dont shoot carbines past 200 yards or shoot M855 ammo.

That's exactly what I was gonna say
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 1:45:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Several of the reticle photos show washed out areas around the edges.  Photos can be deceptive, as the camera can contribute to apparent optics problems, but even on the clearer photos posted, like the one below, the focus is pretty fuzzy a good bit out from the edges.  Some people care about this, and some don't.

I didn't see any o-ring seals on the adjustment cap covers.  There might be one on the battery cover, but it's hard to tell from the pics.  Can anyone say whether these are sealed?

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 5:57:02 AM EDT
[#40]
so are the edges of the scope pic really washed out?
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#41]
I see these scopes are made in China...does Millet warranty them?

Second...which LaRue SPR mount would you guys suggest for these?

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By Moose-Knuckle:
I see these scopes are made in China...does Millet warranty them?

Second...which LaRue SPR mount would you guys suggest for these?

It is my understanding that Millet will replace the scope if something breaks. They do not have production or repair facilities in the US.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Ok here are some really bright light photos.  (forgive the poopy pics, I only have a 4.1mp camera)
my scope illumination goes to 11!
http://www.tasam.com/~atsuko/stuff/11day.jpg
vs off
http://www.tasam.com/~atsuko/stuff/11off.jpg
and at 11 against a really really bright background!
http://www.tasam.com/~atsuko/stuff/11sun.jpg
illumination isnt quite visible under bright light but the reticle is still there.

There arent any o ring seals around the turret caps, and yes there is a bit of a fisheye effect around the very edges, but it may be because i have a bit of an eye relief issue when trying to take pics and since Ive mounted it directly to a high rise upper i cant get it far out enough, but for what its worth, the weaver v3 classic 1-3x has the same fisheye effect and the clarity seems to be a bit better than the weaver.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 10:19:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PowershipMC] [#44]
The glass is really clear all the way out to the edges. What you see in my pics are just the effects from the camera.

There are no o-rings on the adjustment covers but there are rubber seals around the base of the adjustment knobs. When you tighten the caps down this seals against the covers. Not sure how effective this will be but they are there.

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone figured out a way to stack two CR2032 batteries in the knob? This should bump the voltage x2, and brighten up the reticle. I know my PDP3 uses two stacked in it's compartment. Not sure if the electronics are up to the task, but that's one way to make the powered reticle brighter. Experimenters wanted!
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 1:40:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#46]
Does the illumination have stops between each level?  Does the scope illumination knob go all the way around?  Meaning does it go from 0 to 11 to 0 again or does it just go most of the way around from 0 to 11 and then have to come back to zero in reverse?

Why are some of the scopes silk screened in blue and others in white?

How can you tell if you are getting the unit with the illumination on the side or at the occular housing?
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 2:11:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PowershipMC] [#47]

Originally Posted By DevL:
Does the illumination have stops between each level?  Does the scope illumination knob go all the way around?  Meaning does it go from 0 to 11 to 0 again or does it just go most of the way around from 0 to 11 and then have to come back to zero in reverse?

Why are some of the scopes silk screened in blue and others in white?

How can you tell if you are getting the unit with the illumination on the side or at the occular housing?

It does go from 0 to 11 to 0 again without reversing. Even tho you can stop in between settings, it appears it was not designed to do so.

My "Millett" logo had a green coating over the lettering. I took some cleaner to it and the letters were white.  I guess it was a protective coating placed on them to help preserve them during assembly?  Not sure why the logo had this coating and the other lettering did not if that was the case.

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#48]
For the money, that's a damn good looking scope. I was getting ready to spend about $500 on a similar scope, but now I may very well just buy this one. It does what I need it to do. I like the reticle. And I don't particularly care if the lit reticle is visible in bright light conditions......because if I am dealing with bright light conditions I don't need the illumination anyway. I only need that for low light or no light situations.

Thanks for starting this topic and keeping it going. You guys just saved me about $300 I can put toward something else.
Link Posted: 5/30/2007 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#49]
This scope is looking good so far, especially for the money...
Link Posted: 5/30/2007 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#50]
My urge to pull out my CC is winning! Somebody help me!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 41
Millet DMS-1 (Page 1 of 41)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top