Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2007 4:09:10 PM EDT
My search for an optic has lead  me down to a choice between the Aimpoint Comp M3 and the EOtech 512. I would like to know which is better for shooting man sized targets at a distance, say 100 - 200 yards. Which is better the 2MOA dot on the Aimpoint or the 1 MOA dot inside the Ring on the EOTech 512?

NOTE: I am too poor to afford a magnifier.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I was inquiring almost the same type of question. The responce I got was at close or long distances, either one will do. Also you can shoot both types with both eyes open as well. If your poor like me, the eotech is about 100 dollars cheaper. I'm still thinking of getting an aimpoint just because it looks better LOL. I've never shot/looked through/seen one in person so I couldn't tell you anything about them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I can make 200 yard/meter siluette shots all day long with my EO Tec.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been using the AIM Poin over here in Kuwait and I liked it at first but when I bought my S&W M&15 in Feb. when I was on leave I decided to try something new and go with an EOTech 552 from GG&G out of Arizona.  I have not used a EOTech but I figure its different than the AIM Point and cheaper.  So I will give it a shot when I get home in July and hopefully have it.  Seeing as EOTech is on backorder right now because of many contracts with the military now.  AIM point is nice but with an M4 it is still hard to hit out at 300 yards.....well Military M4s....lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 12:58:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I've decided that it is exactly what I am looking for. EOTech it is. Thanks for your help fellas.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 1:56:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the 4moa aimpoint m2.  i do have a magnifier but without it, hitting the 200 yard metal targets (2'x2' at the largest) is no problem.  although i love my aimpoint, i think the eotech may be a better choice as you don't need to buy a 100+ dollar mount in addition to the sight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:15:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Either optic will do you fine.

I happen to prefer the Aimpoint, but not due to acquisition speed or accuracy at range. It's a matter of durability and battery life.

Remember that the mount is half of the sight.

There are a lot of folks that make replacement mounts for them, but the only one that I am willing to recommend is LaRue Tactical. They have optic packages for all of the M2-M3 series with their mounts that are barely above retail for just the optic.
Prices for the optics are not that divergent, especially when battery prices are considered. In fact, the top-end Eotechs (553) run about 600-620. An M3 with LaRue cantilever is 569, and the EoTech mounts suck compared to the LaRue.

If you are trying to go cheap, you can get an M2 with standard LaRue mount for 490, or the 511 for 424. That's only a $66 difference.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I was faced with a similair choice a few months ago. I chose the Eotech and have been very happy with it. I just havnt had a chance to sight it in yet. hopefully this weekend.
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't comment on the Aimpoint, but I've used my EOTech out to 300 yards on a paper duplicate of the Army's popup target without any problems.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
or the 511 for 424.  

Or...you can keep your eyes open in the EE, and get a brand new 511 A65.F like i did for $240 shipped.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#11]
the EoTech has 1moa dot, while the aimpoints have a 2 and 4moa dot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top