Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2006 6:20:38 PM EDT
I will be leaveing in two months and want to take my acog with me, I bought my acog two years ago off EE so i never had a receipt for it. The guys in my unit are telling me i can take it with me but will have a hard time bring it back home with out a receipt. Can some one here provide me with a receipt for my TAO1NSN. I was thinking of takeing a picture of it on a newspaper showing the date proveing it's mine but I'm thinking a receipt will make things alot easier. Someone please help or let me know if this will work or not thanks
P.S I was saving up for a aimpoint 3x mag so i would have a receipt for it. But i would rather bring my acog with doctor mounted on top because i already have it. I dont have money to burn what would you do.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Since the ACOG is serial numbered, I would think a letter from your CO describing  the ACOG as your personal equipment would be enough.

Ask around your unit, you can't be the first person who has this problem. BSW
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Short answer: If it's not on your unit's property books, they can't take it away from you.

To be safe, I'd make sure the serial number was added to my renter's or home-owners insurance.  If you tell your command that they have to provide a statement to your insurance company as to what's become of your optic... they'll reconsider.

If they can't provide the serial # on their books, it's not theirs.  Make your own receipt and copy it if you really want one.  Doesn't sound too hard and it's legit since you bought it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind that you may not even be able to use it depending on how uptight your chain of command is.  I've seen quite a bit of stupidity...

I had no trouble getting my personal Eotech, RAS, and BUIS home in our company milvans.  Milvans leave early so, you've always got another chance to get it home if the custom inspectors decide to be a pain in the ass.

The post office never seemed to care too much as to what I mailed home either...

I would NOT try and carry anything weapon related in your baggage on the way home.  Customs checks EVERYTHING on your person before you get on your plane home.  I carried my M9 in my shoulder rig, but they made me put my magazines in my checked bag...

You might also want to think about engraving your last name, initials, last 4, etc as further proof that it is yours.  Remember, there are no thieves in the army.  Everyone is just trying to get their stuff back...

Does your unit not issue any sort of optics?  We had plenty of Aimpoints, but the CO didn't want to issue them out...  (see line 1)

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#4]
So far they have not told us a whole lot, Other then all the new guys that have not been are getting detached to another unit and leaveing  in march. The only info I'm getting is from the guys that been their. I'm an 11b in the guard. So that might tell you why I'm getting advise from here. The guys in my unit are heplful but i only see them once a month and i've only been to two drills (NFG)
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#5]
It's yer neck, take care of it.  Whatever you do, don't leave that optic behind.

Quoted:
So far they have not told us a whole lot, Other then all the new guys that have not been are getting detached to another unit and leaveing  in march. The only info I'm getting is from the guys that been their. I'm an 11b in the guard. So that might tell you why I'm getting advise from here. The guys in my unit are heplful but i only see them once a month and i've only been to two drills (NFG)

^It's FNG (I was one too)... welcome to the fold.

Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I took My aimpoint with me along with a PRI gooseneck (we had A2s), a GGG mount and a BUIS just in case we got lfat tops...Never happend so I made my own Purchased a complete upper and had it sent over...Didnt go over too well with the command but fuck it..they weren't the ones leaving the wire every day
I didn't have a problem getting it back. I had the supply fags take it back.

Notice the A2 upper with the 5 pos M4 stock and aimpoint/PRI gooseneck. Was still waiting on the upper at this point
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#7]
which would you bring aimpiont with 3x mag or acog with doctor. I already have the acog so i would have to shell out money i dont have for the 3x mag. But if one is better then the other I'll spend the money i dont have to make my gear better suited for my needs let me know thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
You might want to consider holding off on any decisions until you find out more...

We were issued all kinds of stuff in the months prior to deployment.

You can always have stuff mailed to you once you are settled in country.

Don't take extra crap with you that you don't NEED.  Most extra stuff can be found there or can be sent.

FNG or not, you need to seek guidance properly through your chain of command if you are in the dark about anything.

Remember, you never know who you're talking to on the internet...  had
hug.gif
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#9]
You may want to do like driver says and hold off....I went in 03-04 and all the new units were getting the cool stuff when they started to rotate in.
Being 11b I would be surprised if you did'nt get acogs or aimpoints issued.
I was a reclassed 13b to 31b(MP) and we didnt get shit! . One camelbak before we left.
Bout halfway through we ended up getting Half of the RFI issue but still didi'nt get michs
I purchased the one in the Pic off ebay and took it with

Like he said, you can always have it shipped over, although training with a piece of gear is ALWAYS better BEFORE the lead starts flying....

I Just look for reasons to Buy Gun and gear shit.......
I must have went through about 10 different configurations while I was over there.
It is the best proof house around.

You may want to wait until you get activated and go to your train up. We have a unit that just went in MAr and they spent 4 mos in Miss training up with all there issue gear.
you should have a better Idea then.

As for the Ol' Aimpoint vs. Acog vs. eohtech....... I used what I was comfortable with..
They all have faults and attributes but what it comes down to is what you are comfortable with and what works most affective FOR YOU. (command may be an issue? as well)

I hope this didn't confuse you more..?
Good luck
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#10]
No that makes sence I'll use what ever works better for me. Like at basic I did good with irons (got expert in brm) but did even better with a cco in the battle march and shoot
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top