Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/28/2006 7:39:14 PM EDT
Can you/do you use a nose-to-charging-handle weld?? Or would that put your eye too far forward??

How do you like your scope overall? How much did you pay and where? Nobody seems to talk about them much, nor are there many on the EE.

I've got a TA11D on my 20" Bushy, and I love it. I'm just thinking about the compact (TA44-2) for my new superlight.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a 2x20 from Botach several years back and it mostly does duty on my wife's A1 uppered light weight AR. Don't use a nose to carry handle weld but its close to it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 4:18:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a TA50-4 that I paid less than $400.00 NIB. I mounted it on the carry handle and drilled new mounting hole so I could use the nose to charging handle hold. Works great. I use irons but have the 3.5X scope by just lifting my head. It is mounted on a A4 configuration Colt that has an M16A4 upper on a semiauto Colt lower.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Another question: Can I mount it on the flattop or will the front sight get in the way??
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Another question: Can I mount it on the flattop or will the front sight get in the way??

I've used the TA60 flattop mount as it sits higher than a standard ACOG mount and haven't had any problems.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Can you/do you use a nose-to-charging-handle weld?? Or would that put your eye too far forward??
Too far -forward-????  Have you looked at the eye relief specs for these things?  Especially the 3x?  
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Too far -forward-????  Have you looked at the eye relief specs for these things?  Especially the 3x?  

Point taken.

It's the 1.5X I'm looking at, but even then you do have 2.4" eye relief.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Point taken.

Which means that if you mount it on a carry handle or use a mount that puts it about the same spot it will be perfect for nose to charging handle.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Which means that if you mount it on a carry handle or use a mount that puts it about the same spot it will be perfect for nose to charging handle.

Unless you've got a 'schnozzola' like Jimmy:
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 3:09:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Point taken.

This is what I wanted to hear! Now all I have to do is sell off an AK to pay for one.

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had both the TA44 and the TA50 mounted in carry handles.  The TA44 is doable in the stock carry handle hole with nose to charge handle (NTCH) but I would venture to say it is not perfect.  TA50...nope.  I drilled a hole as far back as I could that would obviously still allow proper mounting and I found that to be better then the stock hole for both.  It was in this placement that I fell in love with the TA50, and that is the one I kept.  1.5X was OK, but I think one would be better getting a little more magnification, at minimum to justify the added expense over an Aimpoint or EOtech. 3X is my favorite mag so far (I also have had/have full size ACOGs).

I will post pics when I get a chance.

ETA: PIC

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have had both the TA44 and the TA50 mounted in carry handles.  The TA44 is doable in the stock carry handle hole with nose to charge handle (NTCH) but I would venture to say it is not perfect.  TA50...nope.  I drilled a hole as far back as I could that would obviously still allow proper mounting and I found that to be better then the stock hole for both.  It was in this placement that I fell in love with the TA50, and that is the one I kept.  1.5X was OK, but I think one would be better getting a little more magnification, at minimum to justify the added expense over an Aimpoint or EOtech. 3X is my favorite mag so far (I also have had/have full size ACOGs).

I will post pics when I get a chance.

Yes, please do!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Pics added.  Like I said, this set up is the proverbial "shit!"
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a TA-50 on a LaRue DOS-mini mount.  It took some getting used to but I have to say I'm 100% happy with my decision to mount on the rail.  I'll try to get some pics up.  Give me a few, it will be my first attempt.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#14]
More pics!
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]
My 3x with in a carry handle with an extra hole drilled as far back as I could.

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
More pics!

Seconded! That's one hell of a sweet setup! Custom build?
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
More pics!

Seconded! That's one hell of a sweet setup! Custom build?

Which one?
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#18]
here's mine......

IMO, the 3x models are pretty much unusable on the carry handle UNLESS you drill the 2nd hole like the above users.  Mine is the 2x model and the eye relief is perfect on the standard placement.
i did not like having a compact ACOG on a flattop.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
here's mine......
www.hunt101.com/img/436716.JPG

IMO, the 3x models are pretty much unusable on the carry handle UNLESS you drill the 2nd hole like the above users.  Mine is the 2x model and the eye relief is perfect on the standard placement.

Well, I hope that doesn't happen with me ... I want my superlight to be the evil little twin to this rifle:

What was it about the optic that bothered you on a flattop?

Nice rifle, BTW!

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice rifle man, KISS in practice is always good to see.

I checked the reticule thread up top, but couldn't find a picture of the compact ACOG. Could somone please post theirs here? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Nice rifle man, KISS in practice is always good to see.

I checked the reticule thread up top, but couldn't find a picture of the compact ACOG. Could somone please post theirs here? Thanks.

I have always had a difficult time getting clean reticle shots, (my skills and my camera suck) but I will try to post some wen I get the chance.  For now, go the the Tijicon website and look under...hmmm....Compact ACOGs for some ideas!
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Not a half bad idea!

Thanks.

Huh, those things are still pretty damn expensive. I know you only buy quality once, but the gun store I get everything from, GAT Guns in East Dundee, Il, carries the TA01 in the $800 range.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a TA44R-4 on my DPMS with the La Rue Compact ACOG mount. With that mount using the nose to charging handle you would have no problem with eye relief. I have mine mounted a bit farther back, but the noise to charging handle just does not work well for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Not a half bad idea!

Thanks.

Huh, those things are still pretty damn expensive. I know you only buy quality once, but the gun store I get everything from, GAT Guns in East Dundee, Il, carries the TA01 in the $800 range.

Screw the gunstore.  You can find deals on new ACOGs and Compact ACOGs from our industry parteners here.  The best bet is to search the EE, this is where I got a TA44 for $500.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is the best shot I could do but it does not do the ACOG justice.  The glass is VERY clear and the reticle is VERY bright and it is larger relatively than it apperas in this pic.

This one you can obviously see that I am not focused on the reticle nor at the proper feild of view, but what I wanted to illustrate is how the irons are RIGHT THERE for use only by moving your head a fraction of an inch.  The sight over set is not too bad either, you can see how low the ACOG really sets in the carry handle.

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not a half bad idea!

Thanks.

Screw the gunstore.  You can find deals on new ACOGs and Compact ACOGs from our industry parteners here.  The best bet is to search the EE, this is where I got a TA44 for $500.

Damn!

Thanks for the pictures too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not a half bad idea!

Thanks.

Damn!

Thanks for the pictures too.

No problem, I know optic purchases are a big decision because of the cost involved.  The 500 TA44 was used, that is where you find bitchin deals.  Trijicon has a no BS lifetime warrantly so don't hesitate to buy a used one because you can always send it to them for any upkeep/repair.
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
here's mine......

Nice looking rig there!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey Chewbacca, or you other Acog guys,

Do they make that whole so it lines up with the ghost ring???

That's one of the beefs about my little scope.  It's rectangle and the whole is smaller than the ghost ring, and it probably changes the poi when you use the irons.  If I use the smaller ap, it's ok because it's smaller than that channel, but I like having the big one in use for reall close shots.
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Hey Chewbacca, or you other Acog guys,

Do they make that whole so it lines up with the ghost ring???

That's one of the beefs about my little scope.  It's rectangle and the whole is smaller than the ghost ring, and it probably changes the poi when you use the irons.  If I use the smaller ap, it's ok because it's smaller than that channel, but I like having the big one in use for reall close shots.

The hole itself is large enough and lined up okay but the bottom of the objective lens extends into the field of view a little and can change POI a little.  A small price for having a magnified scope and back up irons available that are close enough to the same height that cheek weld isn't too much of an issue.
Link Posted: 12/8/2006 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#31]
For a while I ran a C7 type setup like 62ndAssassin, except I used the 3x ACOG (TA50-R2).  I wouldn't say it's unusable with the standard hole, but it takes some getting used to.  When I build another setup like that and start using the Compact again I'll drill a new hole, just to make it a little easier.
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I had my TA50 on a removable carry handle using the standard hole, no problems really but, I like it better on a flattop with a Larue mount......

-dave
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
here's mine......

By any chance, do you have more photos of that rifle (perhaps before the paint job)?

Thank you.

Justin
Link Posted: 12/9/2006 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I had my TA50 on a removable carry handle using the standard hole, no problems really but, I like it better on a flattop with a Larue mount......

www.hunt101.com/img/365848.jpg

-dave

That AR looks pretty sweet.
Tell me about it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Uhmmm let's see if I remember everything....

LMT Upper Receiver
Denny's 16" Mid Length Recon Barrell w/ matched bolt
LMT Bolt Carrier
Daniel Defense 12.0 FF rail
Pri Gas Block
Troy front and rear BUIS
Trijicon TA-50 on Larue mount
PRI gas buster
Tangodown front and rear grip
Larue Battlelight

Superior Arms FDCC editon lower
Vltor Stock on Vltor tube
LMT 2 Stage Trigger with KNI antirotation pins
CMT lower parts kit for everything else

I'm waiting on a TangoDown bipod to finish it off

My first self build.... Runs great on the range, I need to take it to a class to get it nice and hot, then we'll see...

-dave

Link Posted: 12/10/2006 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#36]
For you guys mounting them on the detachable carry handles, any issues with the handle coming loose? Hows the cheeck weld with it mounted that high. I had one in a Larue mount and did not care for the result, to get proper eyew relief I wound up mounting the BUIS in front of the ACOG.
This just didn't provided good eye relief I had to go nose over charging handle.

This worked OK but the BUIS wasn't nearly as usefull

Link Posted: 12/10/2006 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Uhmmm let's see if I remember everything....

LMT Upper Receiver
Denny's 16" Mid Length Recon Barrell w/ matched bolt
LMT Bolt Carrier
Daniel Defense 12.0 FF rail
Pri Gas Block
Troy front and rear BUIS
Trijicon TA-50 on Larue mount
PRI gas buster
Tangodown front and rear grip
Larue Battlelight

Superior Arms FDCC editon lower
Vltor Stock on Vltor tube
LMT 2 Stage Trigger with KNI antirotation pins
CMT lower parts kit for everything else

I'm waiting on a TangoDown bipod to finish it off

My first self build.... Runs great on the range, I need to take it to a class to get it nice and hot, then we'll see...

-dave

Was thinking of going with a 10" FF rail on a 16 mid barrel but that 12" looks good.
Why did you choose the 12"?
Link Posted: 12/10/2006 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
For you guys mounting them on the detachable carry handles, any issues with the handle coming loose? Hows the cheeck weld with it mounted that high. I had one in a Larue mount and did not care for the result, to get proper eyew relief I wound up mounting the BUIS in front of the ACOG.
This just didn't provided good eye relief I had to go nose over charging handle.
www.hunt101.com/img/456351.JPG
www.hunt101.com/img/456352.JPG

No the carry handle does not come loose.  I tighten it as tight as I can by hand, then use a quarter to then tighten it as hard as I can again.  Detachable carry handles are used prolificly in the military so I would not worry about it.  The cheek weld is fine, I have zero issues with it.

So you were saying you could not get proper eye relief even with nose to charge handle when you had in set up in the conventional way?
Link Posted: 12/11/2006 1:20:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/456351.JPG
www.hunt101.com/img/456352.JPG

Did you ever actually try to use the BUIS like this?
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#40]

So you were saying you could not get proper eye relief even with nose to charge handle when you had in set up in the conventional way?

Yes I did have a hard time getting proper eye relief with the convetional set up. I had to have my nose hangin over the charging handle for proper eye relief, the Larue mount and ARms 40 sight combined just put the sight to far forward.

Did you ever actually try to use the BUIS like this?

Yes I did. It wasn't the most accurate set up in the world since the sight radius was so short. But it did work just fine to get hits out to 100 yards.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#41]
So you guys with the 3x compact ACOGs mounted back on the carry handle - no problem with elevation travel on the rear sight?

Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top