Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2006 5:56:49 PM EDT
As title said I finally got my 552, good deal I thought ($419). I was wondering if I absolutely have to get a riser? I put it on my flat top with 3 different BUIS setups and there really isn't room to push the buttons. Is this a reason for the riser?  I'm not real wild about the reticle either, my bushnell halosight is just a plain dot. I personally like that better than the dot with cirlcle around it.  At this point I'd take my money back if I could get it, do you think I'll like it more as time goes by?
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The reason for adding a riser to an EOTech or Aimpoint is to provide a clearer FOV.

Raising the optic puts the iron sights in the lower quadrant of the optic so as to not hinder your FOV.

I found the reticule of the EOTech too busy, so I sold it and purchased an Aimpoint. I like the single dot much better.

I just could not get used to the thing no matter how hard I tried.  

How much of a price hit would a guy expect to take on one that has been mounted but not shot with?  I have played with it in the basement for several hours and I don't think it's for me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Why do you not like it?

I thought the same thing about mine and i took it to the range and i loved it.  

What is it about the sight? The Looks, the function, the reticle( is it not clear, is it too bright, does it bloom, can none of this be fixed with adjusting the brightness) etc.

Eotech website has some info on FAQ's about the sights and some of the reasons people initially do not like the sight are because of some of the reasons listed in the faqs.

For instance Brightness is adjustable
You need to foucs on your target not the reticle of the eotech
If you have a bad astigamatism then thier sight is probably not for you
You can do a Lower 1/3 co witness, absolute cowitness etc
I personally like the Eotech because of the larger viewing window and you do not feel like you are looking down a tunnel
Etc, etc, etc

Link Posted: 10/19/2006 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
i have an A2 w/a eotech and a tac carbine w/a aimpoint, after a lot of shooting i took the aimpoint off the carbine and installed a eotech, i just like them better, a lot better FOV for one thing,

ya do have to keep both eyes open FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 1:04:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Plowboy, it sounds like you should have gotten the 551 instead of the 552, for the cramped BUIS situation.  It is a bit over 1" shorter because it uses "N" type batteries.  That would give you a lot more room for the controls on your flat top.  As mentioned, a riser is only used to raise the optic, so that your BUIS will cowitness lower in the FOV.

As far as not liking the reticle....well, the EOTech is designed for BOTH EYES OPEN, fast target acquisition, wide field of view, close up combat.  I think it is the best optic going for those requirements.  It is intended for you to be able to focus on your target(s) while firing, not the reticle.  It sounds like you may have been expecting a "scope" type optic with the EOTech.  Its not a scope, those belong on precision rifles, not QCB carbines.  Decide what purpose your optic is intended for, and if the EOTech isn't it, sell it on the EE.  Good luck.  

ETA:  I noticed you mentioned that you liked a single dot better than the circle/dot.  EOTech makes a 551.D1, (as opposed to your 552.A65)  which is a shorter version of what you have, with a single dot, no circle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 4:00:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I do have a really bad astignatism but I have learned to deal with it useing this type of sight but that is one more reason I would rather have the single dot.  Less sight to get distorted.  I think I'll just sell it.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 4:47:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Plowboy,

If you get an aimpoint i believe you will have the same problem with your astigmatism but you will not have the circle with hashes to distract you as much.  Just get as small a dot as possible so your astigmatism doesnt make it "bloom" too much without the help of the sight itself blooming the dot.  I myself have a small astigmatism but after speaking to folks i found i was concentrating on the reticle and not the target, if you focuse on the target it can clear up a bit and if i turn down the brightness a little it is perfect.  I love mine.  Good luck with your quest.

Bad Aim
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I also just got a 552 in a package deal with an AR set up, I found the buttons hard to reach with the sight where it was mounted so I moved it forward one rail and now I don't have that problem.  I also think the sight is a little "busy" but until I shoot it I'm not going to make any radical judgements.  I think the circle with the dot in it will lend itself to faster target acquisition at close ranges but I'll have to shoot it to find out for sure.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 3:07:40 AM EDT
[#11]
If you have round, not oval, carbine handguards a LaRue riser will clear the top handguard and you can push whichever EOTech you have fwd over the delta ring giving you more room for the BUIS and maybe fixing your reticle image problem.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:26:24 AM EDT
[#12]
x
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:28:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I prefer the dot & circle, and a LaRue Eotech riser works great
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#14]
If you've run out of windage, send it in to L-3.  They will be very happy to fix it or send you a new one.  

The single dot Eotech might be the answer to your problems- as long as a 1MOA isn't too small for you.  Aimpoints are 2, 3 or 4 MOA.  The Eotech dot is neat in that it's actually 1/3 MOA or less but the human eye can see nothing smaller than 1MOA.  So, when using a magnifier, it will still be at it's 1MOA.  This is a loose translation of what the L-3 rep stated on M4.  

My point being, the dot with no ring will be small but you've got a large window.  Your astigmatism might make it bloom but it might not bloom much past 1MOA- just a guess.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:11:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I do have a really bad astignatism but I have learned to deal with it useing this type of sight but that is one more reason I would rather have the single dot.  Less sight to get distorted.  I think I'll just sell it.  

If you have an astigmatism, the aimpoint might not be anybetter.  I have an astigmatism, I tried the aimpint and it was more like a starburst instead of a dot.  

Currently I have a tripower and it does not seem to be affected by my astigmatism.  

I understand that most of the time I should be wearing my glasses or contacts.  But I have this on my defensive rifle and if I am not wearing my glasses I still want to be able to use my rifle.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have an astigmatism, the aimpoint might not be anybetter.  I have an astigmatism, I tried the aimpint and it was more like a starburst instead of a dot.  

Currently I have a tripower and it does not seem to be affected by my astigmatism.  

I understand that most of the time I should be wearing my glasses or contacts.  But I have this on my defensive rifle and if I am not wearing my glasses I still want to be able to use my rifle.  

Tripowers don't get enough respect.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the EoTech reticle, since I know at various ranges it will hit low on the circle, further out the dot, top of the circle at other distances...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I like the EoTech reticle, since I know at various ranges it will hit low on the circle, further out the dot, top of the circle at other distances...

WTF?  That's a 65MOA ring.  What range are you getting it to hit the top of the circle?  You are doing something VERY wrong...

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know if I have an astigma (how the heck do you spell that "A" word thing), getting a comprehensive eye exam Saturday.  But I do see 2 or 3 dots with an Eotech and only one nice round dot on an Aimpoint.  But I liked the FOV much better on the Eotech.  Maybe when my Specter DR gets here Friday it won't matter anymore.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top