Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2006 3:47:38 AM EDT
Finally.
Some competition for those $100.00 BUIS's that are literally no more complex than a red swingline stapler.
I'm not all that excited about the sight itself (I'd like to see some reviews), but just the fact that somebody is coming into the market to lower prices. $100.00 always seemed like an insane price to pay for something that simple.
Before anybody gets on the "Chinese Crap" bandwagon, let me go ahead and say that I would pay a little extra for an American-made BUIS. Paying FOUR TIMES as much doesn't make good sense.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:11:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#3]
You can also buy new tires for your car for $59!  
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:29:36 AM EDT
[#4]
You mean this?  I have not used it, I have A2 uppers but here is the link.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR140-47756-1887.html

Mike Bartha

VA Bartha
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:33:48 AM EDT
[#6]
www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR140-47756-1887.html

$25.  its a fixed, chopped carry handle type.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:34:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:39:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Dont waste your money on that Airsoft crap. Buy and LMT or chop one your self.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:30:14 AM EDT
[#10]
IMHO the reason the good ones cost $100 is purely a matter of volume.  If everyone in the country owned an AR (or three) you can bet your ass a top quality BUIS would cost less than $20.

But the annual sales of ARs in the low 100,000's. And only a faction of those ever have a BUIS installed on them.  So you totally loose the economy of scale that true mass production can bring.

Go to an auto parts store or home depot.  Look at the complex items you can get for $19.99.  This is what happens to prices because almost everyone owns a car or house.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know about the sight, but I will NEVER buy another item from cheaper than dirt. They are a shady compnay. I cancelled my account with them & hope they go tits up. I ordered a forward grip for my rifle a few months ago. It seems that at the bottom of their multiple order form screens, if you don't uncheck a small box, they sign you up for some scam company they are in bed with. The company was based in CT called "Reservations rewards". I got a $9 charge on my credit card from them. My wife got a print out from bank because we were off trying to balance account. Thank goodness the print out had name of company & phone #. I called & they explained they offer travel coupons & such. I thought WTF, how did you get my name & info? Operator told me Cheaper than dirt. I gave them some colorful metaphores after cancelling account & getting a refund. I then proceeded to do the same with cheaper than dirt.

It seems they don't so much as send you an email, snail mail, or phone call when they sign you up. They will just charge you $9 every few months for nothing.

I do not support any company using that kind of bussiness practice. Yeah it was only $9 some would say, but imagine all the $9 from thousands of people. Adds up quickly.

Cheaper than dirt can kiss my lilly white arse!

OK rant over, just wanted to let you know to be carefull if you order from them.

HS
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Help yourself to as many of those $25 BUIS you like. you can buy all the ones that people with any sense wont buy. I've seen those cheap sights before and the metal and construction is very cheap. Go figure?

You're just mean and intolerant.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#14]
If all you care about is the look and a cheap price, which it sounds like you are, and you dont care about quality, accuracy, or supporting American companies and laws, by all means by the Leapers china crap rip off products.

That being said, here are some more options.

www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?cat=Sights

Because they are the same thing.  Cheap rip off sights made in asia.  They are cheap for a reason.  Most asian accesories that are so cheap are made from pot metal.  In addition, accurately milling the sights to be accurate on guns takes expensive equipment and a lot of time.  Again the cheap asian crap gets shot into a mold and thats it.  They reverse engineer everything.

Its not competition.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow. So much for buying DPMS's sight. I've got one of their lowers, and really like it.

If anone who is on the "Chinese Crap Bandwagon" has ever fired a round of Wolf through your guns, then shame on you.
If you've never compromised on anything for price, then consider yourself firmly in command of the moral high ground. 'Nuff said.

Book: I've seen your stuff! You've got more bells and whistles than a Mardi Gras parade! Please doon't look down on us lowly non-SOT types .

Anyway, I guess that I do need to quantify things to put it in perspective. I'd pay $45-50 for an American BUIS that would fit in the trapdoor buttstock of my rifle rather than buy a foreign made one for $25. Paying $100.00 for a BUIS just doesn't seem right. The argument for economy of scale is a good one, I admit. It just seems that the sighing system, at least in A1 form, has been around for nearly half a century.
Haven't they produced enough of the apertures and drums to make it cost effective by now? The only thing that has to be different is a picatinny base/housing.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, let's see if I can keep this stuff stirred up.

It's a Leapers product, so it's cheap as well as inexpensive.  But it has less metal so less mass to screw up where it sits on the rail.  And if it actually has decent detents, wouldn't it do fine as a backup?  I mean you set it for your battle zero and leave it there, right?  So how bad would it be to not bother spending even $25 on?

For what it's worth, I've seen a variety of reports about Leapers' carry handles that say they either come with nonstandard drums, nonstandard threads, nonstandard apertures, or everything perfectly standard.  And I've seen people say "they work great for me" and others say "mushy detents make this a useless product."  The only thing I'm sure of from here is that they are cheap products that are not consistent from one unit to the next.

What's the going price on a U.S. made "chopped handle" BUIS, and who makes it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look at DPMS for a fixed rear, and MI for a folder.

I had a DPMS and sold it, couldn't get it to zero, but others have had good luck with theirs.

Guy who shoots with us has had bad luck with the DPMS fixed rear sight too. KevinB also had problems with his as I recall.

the thread pitch is all jacked up.  i heard rra was coming out with a good one that could be used to get out to 600.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top