Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2006 8:48:39 PM EDT
Well I just got a new scope ( The guy who had it only put it on his Bushmaster Varmint rifle once  so it's like BRAND NEW)  it's the I.O.R. Valdada 4x24mm M2  W/ DRAGUNOV  reticle (That's the reason I got it, I LOVE the Drag reticle and they are no logner made )  The scope came with  IOR QD Tactical Lever 30 mm rings (MED) . Now here is the problem I got the scope to go back as far as it will go on my Bushmaster XM-15  A3  I can see the sight pretty good but how can I get it back ALL the way so I can get a good field of view (If I take it off the gun and hold it up against my eye I have a great FOV when it's mounted on the gun I loose half of the FOV is this normal or can I get some type of extension on my flat top to bring it back more or would just getting the IOR  high rise rings take care of it??? Thanks Ed
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Rotate the rear ocular focus, you will be able to find the sweet spot.  Also, scoot up on the rifle.  Do you normall shoot nose to charging handle?  Sounds like you sit to far back from it on the stock.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi Phoebus,
 Thanks for the info I did  the ocular focus and it's still the same, I also shoot far back I did try and move it forward but same affect  I do see the FOV but not as much as if I take the scope of and hold it up to my eye. So I think it's  ht  I did try the nose to charging handle and it's still the same.  I see your  logo what unit were you with I did  6years  11B and one 11H??   Ed
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#3]
No scope will ever have as much FOV as when you hold it right up to your eye.

I was with the 101, 3rd ID, and then National Guard out of IL.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]
If you don't use a rear sight, you can get one of the Yankee Hill riser/extensions and mount it with the extension rearward.

I haven't used the IOR, but it is frequently said to have short eye relief.  I did have an ACOG, and had a very hard time with them so I understand your issue.

I think the IOR would be easier to adjust for proper fit because you can use lower rings on the riser to bring it rearward without raising it too high.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#5]
LaRue SPR-E mounted backwards might do the trick?  I got rid of my M2 for said reason.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey, I forgot this one...

What about an Aimpoint Railgrabber mount on the FRONT ONLY?  You could mount it a lot further back that way, even if you did have a folding BUIS.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I was just thinking about buying an IOR M2, hope you find a solution.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Strange that you folks are having this trouble, I've never had any trouble with mine.  It helps if you remove the rubber eyepiece.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Strange that you folks are having this trouble, I've never had any trouble with mine.  It helps if you remove the rubber eyepiece.

I'm not saying it's not the scope's fault... eye relief is a very personal thing.

People with shorter necks, thicker chest, less "structured" training like you and many others have received from Uncle Sam, means that some of us can't or don't do NTCH, and consequently may need more eye relief.  

Still, I think it's a personal issue with a workable solution given the separate tube/ring arrangement.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This is exactly what I did and it is wonderful now. Try that, it will work. I replaced the rubber piece in the front and rear with Butler Creek flip up covers - much better. Nicer lookin too.

BTW, I got the Drag reticle too - love it.

Link Posted: 8/17/2006 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Seems like everyone I know ends up selling this scope after trying it out (me included)

What did you not like about it? I was looking at the M2 w/ CQB ret.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I put an A1 length stock on my AR to get my cheek weld closer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the Troy rear Battlesight and the LaRue SPR for the M4.  Will this combo work together with the M2?

BTW - My stock is A1 sized as well.

J223...  
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Phoebus  Thanks for the info I did find the sweet spot :)   I went ot my local range ( Range 14 at Ft Dix) but  I didn't have my sandbags to zero in the scope so that will have to wait  until Tue. I used my open sights. I was the NJNG   2/114th  Mech Inf.  I sure do miss playing with all those toys.
Thanks Ed
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Ed, now that you've got the OF dialed in what is your impression of this scope?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Fantastic  I really love it,  the one I got was used but in MINT condition it had the QD Med rings and I thought they would be a problem due to height but that proved not true, once I  got the zero in ( I was using the Brown Bear 62 grain .223  it was 3.99 a a box) it was right on the money. The Drag reticle is awesome and very simple to use ( I think they did make a green reticle for night optics).  I gave Val at  http://www.valdada.com/  a call and the tech support was AWESOME.  He alos told me that they only have 12 (11 after I picked another one as I am sending the used one to a buddy in Iraq) of the  Dragunov reticle's  left and once they are gone that's it no more will be imported into the US for the general population so if you want one now is the time.  I really think for a tactical scope this  is one of the best for the money and the Drag reticle is so easy to use  it cant be beat and the tech support is just awesome.  Like  I said I  bought  another one for me but I went with tthe QD high rings (no ghosting of the front sight)   and I know my buddy will be VERY Happy with his gift from me :)    
Ed
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top