Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/21/2006 3:06:50 PM EDT
I just got one of the first M4 versions and I'm VERY impressed.

The LaRue designers and machinists are fantastic. I don't know how they did all this in under a week. I can only assume they sleep next the their mills. I know for a fact, they are all passionate about their craftsmanship, and it shows!

As soon as I dropped it on my carbine, I turned it on, positioned a proper cheek-weld, and the dot was dead-on target. I can't wait to range test it, this weekend!

On to the much-awaited pics...

The pop-up rear has a spring-loaded plunger, to make operation easy.

So,
What do you guys think?

mfingar
Link Posted: 7/21/2006 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it a shroud over a Dr. Optics? Looks a bit rough, though I'm sure it's great quality knowing your products.
ETA: Never mind, maybe I should have read the other thread about this product.
Link Posted: 7/21/2006 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What do you guys think?

I think that you should send me one. NOW!
Link Posted: 7/21/2006 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
A true piece of art! And the time frame is incredible.

Not to mention that LaRue has also taken the frailest of all red dot sights and now made them robust!
Link Posted: 7/21/2006 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#4]
that is a really great idea.  It kills me when something so simple and a great idea can be figured out by anyone but no one ever does it.  I just wish I thought of it
Link Posted: 7/21/2006 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2006 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#6]
This is nice. Ultra lite weight build concern, what does it weigh?

This is off topic some...
I've been wanting a small red dot to go on top of my carry handled guns.
I bought the AR carry handle mount from DocOptic for my Doctor; Great idea, but the thing just scared me up there unprotected.
Anybody want to talk to LT and see if this protective hood, coupled with a see thru mount, to fit in the carry handle hole is do-able?
Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Beyond cool.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Why would you use this over an Eotech?
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to know the weight of the whole contraption with the optic mounted.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

For the same reasons many of us do not run Eotechs now (too busy in the recticle department, short battery life and awkward controls).

Overall weight savings since the sight is so light and you do not have to add an additional BUIS.

I would also like to know the finished weight?

Link Posted: 7/23/2006 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the photos!!!  I cannot wait to hear more information about both the mount and the Pride/Fowler sight!!!!

Link Posted: 7/23/2006 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the same reasons many of us do not run Eotechs now (too busy in the recticle department, short battery life and awkward controls).

Overall weight savings since the sight is so light and you do not have to add an additional BUIS.

Battery life on an Eotech is much better then this thing I bet.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Battery life on an Eotech is much better then this thing I bet.

If I am not mistaken, the P/F or the Docter only needs to have the battery changed every five years!!  I think that is a little better than an EPTech.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Is this fine piece going into production or is it a one-off?
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I have never run an EOTech, but from what I have seen, this reminds me of one with a simplified reticle.

- which looks like a winner!

ETA: Oh and beautiful photos, mfingar!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#18]
The cats ass buddy!!!!!!!!!! That is the cats ass right there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

This is an interesting sight, but I feel the EOTechs advantages far outweigh this sight in my opinion.  You cannot beat the physics and capabilities of a holographic image.

I would personally rather run a BUIS that has the dual close-range or long-range flip sight than something jerryrigged to the back of a red-dot sight.  I must say also that the left to right adjustments for that peep sight sure does seem crude.  Its just my opinion, but it looks like it took a week to make and it definitely looks like an unfinished product.

On another note, the purpose of a BUIS is to be a backup sight, if something happened to the primary optic, like an EOTech taking a bullet to the side.  When you incorporate the backup sight onto the primary sight, you can easily lose both at once (IE breaking off, shot off, blown off, whatever), rendering your gun into a real deal spray and pray weapon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Good question.

Today, when I packed for the range, I put the new LT Pride Fowler mount in my front shirt pocket (try that with an EOTech).

I won't harp on the benefits of the Pride Fowler optic itself, I've owned one for a while and love it. The LT mount seems to be the missing-link needed to make it complete. Zero it, take it off...put it back on, it's still zeroed. Add the protective hood and the BUIS, it's just awesome.

Once I got to the range, I had the opportunity to run about 360 rounds with the optic mounted in various positions, from the rear of the receiver, to the front and with the BUIS blade up and down. Even tried up near the FSB (I didn't care for that).

After zeroing at 25 yds, I moved to 50 & 100. I really liked it. The dot reminded me of an M2 in performance, but in a tiny package. If you like the 4 MOA Aimpoint, you'll love this sight.. The BUIS, was easy to index to my zeroed dot and worked like a charm.

As for position on the flat top, I preferred mounting the unit forward, like an Aimpoint...worked great in that position, as did the BUIS. However, mounted at the rear, it worked equally as well...so, it's a personal-preference thing.

In short...It ran really great all day.
Then I put it back in my pocket, and went home again.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#21]
mfingar,  You take some nice pictures.  I look forward to seeing the J-point mount as that is what I personally own for a back up red dot and they desperately need a protective hood.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
This is an interesting sight, but I feel the EOTechs advantages far outweigh this sight in my opinion.  You cannot beat the physics and capabilities of a holographic image.

As I mentioned above, I spent some quality-time with this system today, and was very satisfied.

Even though some have commented about running this as their primary, If I was deployed, my primary would most-likely be a LT-mounted EOTech, or ACOG. But I'd damn-sure have one of these zeroed in my gear, as a back up. The fact that they have an integral BUIS is just icing on the cake.

Also, Thanks for all the kind words...I try to take good pics.

Link Posted: 7/23/2006 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#23]
height=8
Quoted:
But I'd damn-sure have one of these zeroed in my gear, as a back up. The fact that they have an integral BUIS is just icing on the cake.

Also, Thanks for all the kind words...I try to take good pics.

That I could easily understand.  I personally see it as having good potential as a sight you can carry for backup if deployed.  I certainly meant no disrespect by my initial observations of it, just I was unsure on its intention of being used as a primary sight or not as so many people were alluding to using it over the EOTech for preformance.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Great photography mfingar

Any estimates of $$ or when it will available? With and without the dot, if possible. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Any estimates of $$ or when it will available? With and without the dot, if possible. Thanks.

The price is going to be just under $400 for both optic and mount complete with integral BUIS. Call or email LT, I believe they're accepting backorders already. More information will be on LT's website in a few days. Complete units look to go out in under four weeks...as soon the P-F MRDs hit their door.

I'll post updates, as I get more information.
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#26]
nice
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Any pricing information on the mount without the Pride-Fowler? I'll be opting for the J-point, in all likelyhood.
Link Posted: 7/24/2006 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 7/24/2006 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The price is going to be just under $400 for both optic and mount complete with integral BUIS. Call or email LT, I believe they're accepting backorders already. More information will be on LT's website in a few days. Complete units look to go out in under four weeks...as soon the P-F MRDs hit their door.

I'll post updates, as I get more information.

I sent an email last week about these, so far no answer.

I really wanted on the back order list.
Link Posted: 7/24/2006 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like this is what I'm looking for.  No need to buy a mount, no need to get BUIS.  It's small, lightweight, and it's LaRue!  

Oh and with the money I save with this over an Aimpoint/mount/BUIS combo, I can afford an LT mount for my long range build that's coming this winter........sweet.

MFINGAR, thanks for your post.
Link Posted: 7/24/2006 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Mark LaRue and Company,

Awesome product as usual!!!!! Job well done!

mfingar,

Great pics!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/24/2006 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I sent an email last week about these, so far no answer.

I really wanted on the back order list.

You should call them direct...I know Mark is taking orders (just got off the phone with him).

Link Posted: 7/24/2006 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Mark LaRue is the man!

Link Posted: 7/24/2006 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Eotech has a battery life of 1600 hours. SO thats not a valid reason. The rectical is excellent as its both fast and accurate compared to single dots. And the controls are not that akward. But I admit this is prefrence. The only reason I can see for this set up is to save weight.
Pat
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#35]
It's too big for a backup stored on the 6 o'clock rail.
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The only reason I can see for this set up is to save weight.
Pat

Gives you a lower profile too. (just a tad smaller)

Different tools for different situations

As some of you know, I'm a gear-whore with several EOTechs, I love 'em. They're great sights, but this new mount has found a home on my stripped-down KISS 10.5".

Like all LT mounts...once it's zeroed, I can always take it off, and swap with other LT-mounted optics, without loosing zero. I usually bring an ACOG, Aimpoint and an EOTech to the range in my kit. I like them all, for different reasons.

LaRue's IronDotTM is now another tool in the box.

Link Posted: 7/25/2006 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Oce again, any pall park idea of pricing on the mount alone?
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Oce again, any pall park idea of pricing on the mount alone?

Sorry,

I spoke to Mark last night about that...They are concentrating on getting the Pride Fowler Combos done first (they have quite a few orders already), and are working-out the details with the J-Point hood issues (so they can be "shut off").

If you already have a Pride Fowler optic in-hand (like I did), you may want to call them direct and see if you can work something out. I don't think they set a price for the mount alone yet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Are there different risers? and for a flatop with a sully stock, what riser is recommended.

Great product.
Link Posted: 7/26/2006 5:13:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Are there different risers? and for a flatop with a sully stock, what riser is recommended.

Great product.

Assuming you're comforatble with standard-height irons, I'd use the M4 Version (shown on Pg 1 of this thread)

As far as I know, there's only two designs ready for market; M4 (high) and the HK416/RAS II (Low).
Link Posted: 7/27/2006 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Maybe just slightly off topic, or maybe not.

Anybody know the quality of this jpoint-ish knockoff? I like the 2moa dot and aluminum construction. Even looks like a bit of a built in hood. Definitely a good price, since it includes the decent weaver base. I'm not advocating this as a better solution to Mark's new idea. I love what he's building. Just wondering if anybody's had reportable experience with this unit. Might be nice for another application.

www.veriforcetactical.com/tactical_accessories/719/?PHPSESSID=226bec3da8e83d48ebdcf0289a3027b9
Link Posted: 7/27/2006 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Will this mount fit the Optima 2000 sight system?
Link Posted: 7/27/2006 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Talked to Mark LaRue this afternoon and he said he will start shipping the M4 package soon (didn't have an exact date but I got the impression it would be three or four weeks, but my memory is lousy so I could be wrong).  

Just an FYI,
MadDog
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 5:14:04 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

The base is designed to accept the Pride Fowler and J-Point Optics (so far). I believe the Optima has the same mounting footprint as the J-Point, and would work.

Link Posted: 7/28/2006 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The base is designed to accept the Pride Fowler and J-Point Optics (so far). I believe the Optima has the same mounting footprint as the J-Point, and would work.

J-point and Optima do indeed accept same bases, but I thought I had read that PrideFowler was a different base pattern. No?
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#46]
what's the warranty or reputation of company that makes the sights you guys are including in the sight/mount package?  
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 5:58:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
J-point and Optima do indeed accept same bases, but I thought I had read that PrideFowler was a different base pattern. No?

They’re slightly different. The index pegs are in a different location. The base was designed to accommodate both mounts. Both J-Points & Pride Fowler optics have been fitted and tested. (I have no pics of the J-Point)

Quoted:
what's the warranty or reputation of company that makes the sights you guys are including in the sight/mount package?  

Limited Lifetime Warranty from Pride Fowler on the optic (the paperwork will come with the combo). Like all LT hardware, the LaRue mount is guaranteed for life.

As for durability, this is off of their website:

Tested on 44-magnum, 454 Casull, 500 S&W, 12Ga shotgun with slugs and 00B, MP-5's, 9x21's, Glock 9MM and airguns. One of our test sights did not lose its zero after 7,000 rounds fired from a Glock 9MM pistol

Other than durability, the LaRue Combo will come with the Pride Fowler optic for several reasons, including top-loading batteries, so you never need to remove the optic from the base, and loose your zero. It also has an off switch.

If you purchase the optic separately, it would be $350…
LaRue’s Combo is around $399. Hmm.

Mark
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Other than durability, the LaRue Combo will come with the Pride Fowler optic for several reasons, including top-loading batteries, so you never need to remove the optic from the base, and loose your zero. It also has an off switch.

If you purchase the optic separately, it would be $350…
LaRue’s Combo is around $399. Hmm.

I think I like everything about the PrideFowler LaRue combo except the 5moa dot. Seems a bit large if used as a primary carbine sight at 300m and under. REALLY think this unit would be better served with somewhere between a 2 - 4moa dot maximum. You can get that by using a j-point or optima but the idea of a top loading battery in PF is too important to give up. Who wants to re-zero the thing every time you switch batteries? Even if it's only every 2 yrs, it's a pain in the ass with these units! Any chance PF will offer a slightly smaller dot to go with Mark's mount?

Just thinking out loud
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Maybe my Dr Optic is older, but to use it you remove a cover from it.  It looks like it would not work with this set up.  Is that an off/on switch at the front?
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Maybe my Dr Optic is older, but to use it you remove a cover from it.  It looks like it would not work with this set up.  Is that an off/on switch at the front?

The PF optic has a power switch. A cover is in the works for MRDs that need them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top