Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2006 11:38:56 AM EDT
Any suggestions for optics for a flat top AR? This will be for a patrol rifle.  Any officers out there with suggestions???  I have considered EOTech, Aimpoint, and recently ACOGs, but before spending a ton of money, I would appreciate yall's input. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest a couple hours reading through the Optics Forum (Click here)

Between the Aimpoint EOTech, and ACOG there are similar number of users and supporters.

My general take is EOTech and AimPoint for close up work of say 0-100m- and the ACOG - specifically the TA31 series made for flatties- for 0-400m.

You cannot go wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#2]
for a patrol rifle I'd definitely go with the eotech or aimpoint(I prefer eothingie, but some like the aimpoint)  as it is a police rifle.  longer range(150 yards +) engagements are pretty unlikely.  the ACOG is a fine piece of equipment but is probably overkill for your purpose
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not in LE, so take my opinion with that in mind...

I was wary of dishing out $400 on an Aimpoint, but I personally LOVE it.
Over iron sights, target acquisition is much quicker and accurate, and re-acquisition is a snap.
"two eye open" targeting is very natural and accurate, something you can't do with irons, and I love the fact that the dot is always on point of impact regardless of eye alignment.

In the end, it was money well spent.

I have not used an EOtech so I won't comment, and not being a LEO, I don't know what your personal requirements are, but Aimpoint is two thumbs up!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I own four Eotechs.  And in the near future will own another.

Don't just pick up one and look through it.  Handle an AR that has one installed on it.  Focus at your target.  Place the red dot and ring on the target, shoot.

A very fast sight to use.

And I have had a number of LEO's try my rifles and then go out and buy Eotechs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top