Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 8:01:55 AM EDT
For an entry level, reasonably inexpensive spotting scope used on a 600 yd range.  Where to get it also.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#1]
When you say "for use on a 600 yard range" do you mean resolving bullet holes on a target at 600 yards?  I can't think of any spotting scopes that can do that very well.

If you're talking about reading mirage and pit scores, there are a few good choices.  My brother just picked up an 80mm Konus for around $200, and it's proven to be an extremely good value for the price.  It's not the most rugged scopre, or the best optics, but it does the job.  The only area where it doesn't meet his needs is in the eye relief.  The eye piece is a 20-60x zoom type, and you need to almost touch your eye to the eye piece.  If you're wearing glasses or are in position this can be a bother.  My Kowa TSN-1 with a Long Eye Relief allows me to watch mirage and check my target with my cheek on the stock and rifle on my shoulder.

The 80mm Konus: https://www.championshooters.com/Scopes-g.htm

MSGT Jim Owens also sells the Konus.  He is site is www.jarheadtop.com
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think "entry level, reasonably inexpensive" and Karl Zeiss exist in the same planetary systems.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#4]
what's the limit to resolving .223 holes on say a 20-60x spotting scope? 100 yards, 200?

I was browsing scopes the other day and saw this Nikon:

It's pricey, about $600 but looks bad ass!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
what's the limit to resolving .223 holes on say a 20-60x spotting scope? 100 yards, 200?

It depends.  Sunday I was resolving .223 holes at 300 yards with a 77mm Kowa TSN-1 with a 25x eye piece.  When I was scoring rapid fire, I could watch the air being disturbed by bullets in flight on thier way to the target.  But the weather and lighting conditions were perfect.  I've used that same scope at a different range, and I was having a hard time resolving 22 caliber holes at 200 yards.

The higher the magnification, the darker the image, usually.  And the larger the objective lense, the brighter the image, usually.  Also, the more you spend, the better the quality, which means brighter, clearer images, usually.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
re: the pic of the Nikon spotting scope I posted, WTF is the thing sticking out on the left side of it? A handle? A smaller spotting scope to aim the main spotting scope?  Just wondering...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone know what power you need to resolve a .223 hole at 300 yards?  Anyone have any experience with that?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#8]
AssaultRifler,

That looks like a Nikon Prostaff 65mm Spotting Scope.  It's priced at $399.95 at www.adorama.com, but it doesn't seem to be available for another 4 months.  I can't find anything at the Nikon website yet.

Mihkmihk, I do not think that you can get an affordable spotting scope to reliably resolve .223 holes at 300 yards.  Affordable by normal people, I mean.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess it is good exercise to walk 300 yards, check your holes, and walk back.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does anyone know what power you need to resolve a .223 hole at 300 yards?  Anyone have any experience with that?

It's not about power. It is about resolution, brightness and clarity.

Figure, take 300 yards, and divide by 20 (for 20x) = 15. So, with 20 power, 300 yards will appear 15 yards away. Can you see .223 holes at 15 yards?

Make it 30x even. That would make 300 yards appear to be 10 yards away.

You should be able to see .223 holes 10 yards away.

Most spotters cannot do this, because along the way of bringing you that light to your eye, there is a loss of light, and distortion introduced.

This is why crappy scopes  costing $120 with "24x" power are completely worthless compared to a scope that runs $1,000, but is "only" 10x. You'll see more with the 10x. Same goes for spotters.

Now, at the extreme magnifications (over 20x), no matter what you buy, you can spend $3000 - doesn't matter...you will NOT, repeat, NOT beat mirage and other factors. If there's bad mirage...the best glass in the world isn't going to help. So there is a limit. The idea is which spotters can resolve holes at long range under PERFECT conditions... that's what you're paying for. The ability to see long range only when you can.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top