Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/6/2006 8:33:37 PM EDT
I have finished the build pictured below except for the Optics:

It's got the Magpul PRS and the YHM flip-up rear sight (which measures .840 inches above the flat-top when folded down).

The Magpul PRS' cheek riser sits far enough back to allow for the charging handle of the AR to be pulled back no matter if the riser is up, or all the way down - which means you have to have your head back a bit to use the riser.

That being the case, I read on Trijicon's website that the TA01NSN has an eye-releif of 1.5"....That seems like the first 'challenge' with regards to using an ACOG with my rifle.

The second challenge would be the ACOG clearing the height of my Yankee Hill flip-up rear sight using the 'standard' flat-top mount that comes with it. Can anyone speak to that ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
"That being the case, I read on Trijicon's website that the TA01NSN has an eye-releif of 1.5"....That seems like the first 'challenge' with regards to using an ACOG with my rifle."

I Shoot nose to charging handle with my ACOG, so I believe Eye relief would be a problem for you with the PRS. It also depends what model ACOG. Have you checked out the 5.5 ACOG (alittle bit Pricey). It has a 2.17 eye relief.

In honesty I would recommend a Leupold for that Rifle, maybe one of the MR/T (they just made a new line of  2.5-8x scopes). Have you checked out any of the leupold models? They are excellant scopes and I believe they would better suit your build.

Nathan

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You wont be using the cheek piece with a 4X ACOG because you must shoot NTCH.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info folks.

I don't ever tend to shoot nose to charging handle, so the TA01NSN probably wouldn't be the setup for me.
Those other ACOG models are nice, but a bit out of my price range (I've got too many other builds I want to do, and firearms I want to buy at the moment).

I've owned an IOR scope before, and was considering putting an M2 on this rifle - I just don't know how well the M2 does 'quick acquisition' as well as moderate range shooting.....even with the CQB-style reticle.

I'll take a look at some of those Leupold models. Is there a 1-piece base that would work for a Leupold MR/T ? If so, who manufactures it ?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'll take a look at some of those Leupold models. Is there a 1-piece base that would work for a Leupold MR/T ? If so, who manufactures it ?

LARUE
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top