Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/5/2006 4:27:37 PM EDT
I'm new to the world of telescopic sights (scopes) but not new to shooting rifles.  However, I did take an NRA basic rifle course Saturday at the local gun club and one of the instructors said that after you zero your scope on your rifle, if you change the magnification, say from 3x-9x, your POI will shift.  Although I'm new to scopes, I have shot with one or two before on someone else's rifle and have changed the magnification and not noticed a shift in POI, nor have I ever heard of such a thing before.  Anyone care to enlighten me?  Thanks

-DevilDog
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
This can sometimes happen with less expensive scopes, not to say it never happens w/expensive ones, but just less likely. I've experienced it with simmons, tasco, and one nikon. But like i said, its not real common w/leupold, nikon, burris, nightforce, etc, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The math escapes me at the moment but yes it does shift.  But the shift is so slight you or I should not notice it unless your aim is to shoot a satalite out of orbit.

Knowing this place some one will come along and give the finer details.

What DJH-1 said too.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top