Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/1/2006 2:19:30 PM EDT
My 552 is in the mail, but some of the features of the 553 are appealing...

This EoTech will be for personal use (with Colt LE6920), primarily, but I want it to be compatible with my service M4 weapon system - meaning, it needs to be capable of being mounted in front of my PVS-14s.  552s seem to sit just a little too low.  I'm used to Aimpoint (M68) heights, too - so I think elevating the 552 or accepting the 553 would be ideal for that reason, as well.  

Batteries - the 552 appeals to me for its use of AAs, and the 553 will run on 123s.  AAs are a lot easier to come by when you're in the field; and every piece of equipment, from NVGs to PAC-4 to GPS and medical equipment (I'm 91W in the infantry) runs on AA, so I can use one type of battery for everything, but Surefire (123s).

The 553 can mount and dismount easier and is already the exact height necessary for co-witnessing with NVGs, of course, I can solve that on the 552 with a mount.  SO, second part of the question...

If I stick with the 552, which mount do I use?  I know this has been deeply discussed already; but, I need this mount to leave space behind it for my PVS-14s and a BUIS.  The BUIS must be on the receiver-level rails of the M4 or 6920, as must be the PVS-14 standard mil-spec mount (the only NVG mount I will use).  In other words, the EoTech is the only device I want elevated.  On my military M4 and my 6920 I use Knight's Armament rail systems, so I can push the EoTech up a bit, but I prefer my reflex sights closer to the rear.

My armourer and I, as well as several of my guys have talked about this at length, but in our unit, optics and preferences come down to the individual, for the most part.  So:

552 or 553?

and

What mount takes-up just the space of the EoTech base, allowing standard BUIS and NVG placement?  Ideally, this mount would be easily removed and replaced.

Thanks and sorry for the long question.h,
And by compatible with my M4, I mean I will take my EoTech to Iraq or Afghanistan when I go back.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep the 552.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Keep the 552.hr

I agree, already.  Now, which mount?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Here's a sample picture. It's not mine but originally posted by team member fight4yourrights in the Night Vision forums.

I see a lot of pros are using LaRue Tactical and GG&G mounts.

You could ask Victor, he's a dealer in the Night Vision forums, what mounts are compatible with the NV you want to use.

ARFCOM Night Vision forums link
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Alpha-Romeo3,  I've seen that mount a lot, lately, though not in person yet.  The 552 has won my favor largely due to the AA factor (and the fact that I've paid for and recieved it already), so I'll see if I can track down a sample or two.  Thanks for your reply and the heads-up on the NVG board.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And by compatible with my M4, I mean I will take my EoTech to Iraq or Afghanistan when I go back.  Thanks again.

I've got a buddy out of 1st Group that has taken his 552 all around the world, and he is quite happy with it.  I currently run a 552 on my duty carbine, and can't find the appeal of the 553.

I think you made the right choice.

Thanks, Stickman - Do you know what your buddy mounted his 552 on, if anything?  How about you?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
His 552 rides on his issue M4, as well as his Colt 6721.  My 552s have been on just about everything under the sun....   If you have any particular questions, you can always IM or email me.

img227.imageshack.us/img227/8782/p1010025size8009zx.jpg

I was waiting for the picture of it ON the Bayonet.....
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top